Size Dilemma

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've got the 7 Plus and I'm seriously considering going to a smaller iPhone the next time around. ...
Same here, and I almost went with the iPhone 7 instead of the iPhone 7 Plus. I opted for the Plus at the last moment. Ever since, there's been a nagging thought that I should have stayed with the iPhone 7 even though I enjoy using my iPhone 7 Plus, the iPhone 6S Plus before that, and the iPhone 6 Plus before that. I honestly think the size of the 4.7" iPhone models are the perfect size.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Same here, and I almost went with the iPhone 7 instead of the iPhone 7 Plus. I opted for the Plus at the last moment. Ever since, there's been a nagging thought that I should have stayed with the iPhone 7 even though I enjoy using my iPhone 7 Plus, the iPhone 6S Plus before that, and the iPhone 6 Plus before that. I honestly think the size of the 4.7" iPhone models are the perfect size.

Agreed.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have also thought about going to a smaller screen, for about ten seconds...LOL. There is just no way I could go back to a smaller screen, but I would welcome smaller bezels on the iPhone in a heartbeat. Hopefully the next latest, greatest iPhone will grant me my wish.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Get a iphone 6S or 7, it is a manageable size of screen. SE looks outdated in terms of specs and design, also it lacks IP68 water resistance. So better go for a iphone 7, return 7 PLUS.

I wouldn't say it's outdated in the specifications, as it can hold its own with current devices...
As for design, well that's opinionated as the sales figures state otherwise, along with the numerous threads here... It does however have more grip ceaseless than the 6/7 design
It's the freedom of consumer power in the 21st century

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

I'd have stayed with the 7 and not handed it over to my wife if not for the battery life

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's outdated in the specifications, as it can hold its own with current devices...
As for design, well that's opinionated as the sales figures state otherwise, along with the numerous threads here... It does however have more grip ceaseless than the 6/7 design
It's the freedom of consumer power in the 21st century

Do we have sales figures? I thought Apple hadn't released any.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I've got the 7 Plus and I'm seriously considering going to a smaller iPhone the next time around. I love everything about it but sometimes the size can be uncomfortable. But I also love the screen space. And I've been playing more games on my phone as of lately.
Same here, except with a 6s+. I regret not going for the 4.7" and surely will downsize next upgrade... and that upgrade is likely to come a year or two early because of the size. :p

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I went for the 7plus since I don't have my MacBook or iPad any more. So the bigger screen suits my needs just fine.
My only issue, and a big one at that. My reception is poor at best, as opposed to my 6.

SparklyPickle

May 24, 2017
Visit site
I am considering keeping my SE as a backup or fall back phone and getting a 7. I just have to make up my mind on the color, either Matte Black or Rose Gold (as my SE). And I would have a lot more storage. The screen would help me read better and improve usability.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Get a iphone 6S or 7, it is a manageable size of screen. SE looks outdated in terms of specs and design, also it lacks IP68 water resistance. So better go for a iphone 7, return 7 PLUS.

Eh, 6s and Se have the same specs but Se has better battery than 6s and the 7. The only reason to go from Se to a 6s/7 is screen size.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Eh, 6s and Se have the same specs but Se has better battery than 6s and the 7. The only reason to go from Se to a 6s/7 is screen size.

Same specs? What's the same except for the CPU and camera? The SE doesn't have 3D Touch, for one. The design is also quite different. The 6s also has the 2nd gen Touch ID sensor, which is noticeably faster and more accurate with my experience. The iPhone 7 is WAY more powerful, takes the camera to a whole new level, adds more RAM, adds water resistance, and is available in a 256 GB memory configuration, among other things.

What I'm getting at is it's definitely more than just screen size. I'm not knocking the SE--it's a great phone--but it doesn't have everything that the flagship devices have.

bcandiolo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Many people are under the impression that a larger phone will help them read better. That is not true, if you have trouble reading on a 4" retina display screen now, sooner or later it will also happen on a bigger screen.

A phone should be a phone, pocketable light and agile.

Also it is not true that it is hard to type on a smaller phone, in fact it is easier, apple keyboard does it's magic with autocorrect, believe me I do have large and thick fingers.

Stop justifying an upgrade to a larger phone and start accepting that reading glasses are needed, to use an iPhone SE or a 6" screen.

I'm 54 and my eyes are aging, so I do accept using reading glasses, also to use my  watch.

Of course I like playing around with an iPhone 7 or 7 plus, but for me my SE is best

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Same specs? What's the same except for the CPU and camera? The SE doesn't have 3D Touch, for one. The design is also quite different. The 6s also has the 2nd gen Touch ID sensor, which is noticeably faster and more accurate with my experience. The iPhone 7 is WAY more powerful, takes the camera to a whole new level, adds more RAM, adds water resistance, and is available in a 256 GB memory configuration, among other things.

What I'm getting at is it's definitely more than just screen size. I'm not knocking the SE--it's a great phone--but it doesn't have everything that the flagship devices have.

I didnt use TID or 3D touch on 3 x 7/7 pluses i had, i wouldn't say the 7 camera is a new level above 6S/Se, 7 plus sure, the plus is more powerful not much difference with the 7 in real world use, 7 and SE have same 2gb ram, i prefer the SE design myself, i was meaning to compare the CPU and camera 6S and Se which are the same which i should of mentioned, but seeing as you bought all that up!!

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Many people are under the impression that a larger phone will help them read better. That is not true, if you have trouble reading on a 4" retina display screen now, sooner or later it will also happen on a bigger screen.

A phone should be a phone, pocketable light and agile.

Also it is not true that it is hard to type on a smaller phone, in fact it is easier, apple keyboard does it's magic with autocorrect, believe me I do have large and thick fingers.

Stop justifying an upgrade to a larger phone and start accepting that reading glasses are needed, to use an iPhone SE or a 6" screen.

I'm 54 and my eyes are aging, so I do accept using reading glasses, also to use my  watch.

Of course I like playing around with an iPhone 7 or 7 plus, but for me my SE is best

I agree and i have had a 7 and 2 x 7 pluses this year to compare, and i am 53 and use glasses for reading even with my 9.7 iPad pro :)

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I didnt use TID or 3D touch on 3 x 7/7 pluses i had, i wouldn't say the 7 camera is a new level above 6S/Se, 7 plus sure, the plus is more powerful not much difference with the 7 in real world use, 7 and SE have same 2gb ram, i prefer the SE design myself, i was meaning to compare the CPU and camera 6S and Se which are the same which i should of mentioned, but seeing as you bought all that up!!

I totally agree with you!

I don't care for 3D Touch and I don't use Touch ID on either phone. I also prefer the SE design. I currently have both the 7 and SE and I am not amazed by the 7. It doesn't seem so much better to me. I guess it might be if one actually uses those things.

It's nice to have OIS and a better front camera but not enough to say that the SE doesn't even compare but that's just me I guess. Trying out the 7 for better connectivity really.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm not gonna lie, I was reading and thinking 7 Plus that whole time. I have a 7 Plus myself.

Am I the only one who uses 3D Touch all of the time? I've found it to be incredibly convenient.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

(laughing)....Preach, brother!

We're the same age, but my "reading glasses" (wink wink) has become affixed to my face full time...

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm not gonna lie, I was reading and thinking 7 Plus that whole time. I have a 7 Plus myself.

Am I the only one who uses 3D Touch all of the time? I've found it to be incredibly convenient.

I can see the usefulness but unfortunately it is basically useless for most of the apps I use. For the setting app, it is very useful to get to the battery since I always open that.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I’ve heard that some who jump from the SE size to the Plus size usually feel that it is too big. I, though, went from a 5s to a 6s Plus some years ago, and it was awesome for me! For vision purposes, the screen was excellent, and the battery life was off the charts. If you still want features like 3D Touch and the better integrated taptic engine, try the iPhone 7. It never hurts to try, especially when you may end up liking it. The battery life in the 7 is also really good, even though you will get longer battery life from the Plus size. If it were me, I would keep the Plus size, as I did. I then went from a 6s Plus to a 7 Plus, and will never go back to a smaller form factor as long as they make them big.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner