Size Dilemma

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I recently returned my SE and bought a 7 plus. Although I love the screen and 3D Touch, I'm not sure I'll adjust to the size, I'm on day 13 of my 14 day return period.

I'm really unsure weather to A) persevere with the plus and hope I adjust, B) return for the SE, or C) try a normal size 7.

The plus to me feels to big for a phone and too small for a tablet, so I end up doing things on this instead of my iPad, leaving me with a frustrating experience and also feeling my iPad is redundant.

I'm quite swaying towards the SE option, as I'm not fully sold on the battery life of the 4.7" devices. Also, I feel that this far into the cycle, if I get an SE and the 8 blows us away in September, I can justify the upgrade whereas with a 7, I'd feel obligated to stick with it for another year (bear in mind, have to justify to the Mrs too, not just myself). Also, with the SE, I could also hold out hope that they update it next year with 3D Touch, IP68 rating and A10 chip (the perfect phone in my opinion)

Although I appreciate that all this is mostly subjective and no one can choose for me, I also value others experiences and often find others opinions help me to decide.

Thanks for reading and any opinions you care to offer.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Based on what you've typed, I *think* you should return the iPhone 7 Plus and get either the iPhone 7 or the iPhone SE. The size of the iPhone 7 is perfect, in my opinion, but not everyone agrees. When you return the iPhone 7 Plus, take a look at both the iPhone 7 and the iPhone SE and then decide which one of the two best suits you.

Please be patient while awaiting replies. Your two duplicate threads have been deleted.

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Based on what you've typed, I *think* you should return the iPhone 7 Plus and get either the iPhone 7 or the iPhone SE. The size of the iPhone 7 is perfect, in my opinion, but not everyone agrees. When you return the iPhone 7 Plus, take a look at both the iPhone 7 and the iPhone SE and then decide which one of the two best suits you.

Please be patient while awaiting replies. Your two duplicate threads have been deleted.

Sorry, didn't know which forum to post in.

You 100% right, just to decide which to get. Thanks for your reply.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Have you considered trying the iPhone 7 with a smart battery case?

I can totally get how you feel. I have heard the same about battery life too and it and seems like doing that would nip that concern. On it's own, it isn't much to write home about.

I also have an SE and I'm jumping up to the 7 for better connectivity. I also have the battery case coming with so it should be fine. I doubt that the SE will be updated this year. It's up to you of course.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I went from a 5S to a Plus, and it was huge at first but after a month, it feels normal to me. I don't think I could go back to a 4" screen.

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Have you considered trying the iPhone 7 with a smart battery case?

I can totally get how you feel. I have heard the same about battery life too and it and seems like doing that would nip that concern. On it's own, it isn't much to write home about.

I also have an SE and I'm jumping up to the 7 for better connectivity. I also have the battery case coming with so it should be fine. I doubt that the SE will be updated this year. It's up to you of course.

That's something I'm definitely considering, a 7 with a battery case.

What benefits are you wanting with the 7 over the se?

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
That's something I'm definitely considering, a 7 with a battery case.

What benefits are you wanting with the 7 over the se?
Sweet. I wish you good luck with your choice.

For me, my work place has weak Wi-Fi so it disconnects​ and reconnects with the SE and also with so speeds are slow and downloads are pointless. I have a Pixel that doesn't do that and the reason is better radios. The iPhone 7 has similar ones so it only makes sense. I can do anything at work including downloading stuff.

cbreze

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
After 3 phab size phones I'm done with big. Going from an SE to a normal size 7 would seem just enough of a size jump to me. I have the 4.7" and battery lasts me all day and actually beyond if need be, was very surprised about that as wasn't sure it would. I notice video watching uses the most but rarely do that. As mentioned above the battery case could be an option. For me that would add to much extra weight and bulk. The 7 is very light weight and I'd hate to kibosh that sweet feature. When traveling I take along one of my old android phabs, you'd have your iPad, win/win!

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
After 3 phab size phones I'm done with big. Going from an SE to a normal size 7 would seem just enough of a size jump to me. I have the 4.7" and battery lasts me all day and actually beyond if need be, was very surprised about that as wasn't sure it would. I notice video watching uses the most but rarely do that. As mentioned above the battery case could be an option. For me that would add to much extra weight and bulk. The 7 is very light weight and I'd hate to kibosh that sweet feature. When traveling I take along one of my old android phabs, you'd have your iPad, win/win!

Thanks for your reply.

So you'd not consider the SE and go straight for the 7?

cbreze

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

So you'd not consider the SE and go straight for the 7?

Yes, that's what I would do. The SE isjust a bit to small. But if your ok with the size... then?
Also the 4.7" comes with some upgrades right like 3D touch. Which I don't use much but alot of folks like it.
If you haven't already try a normal size 7 in hand. It just hits my sweet spot. Maybe yours to.

rsgoldens

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I happen to have all three phones. From the things you are saying, I feel like the regular 7 is probably your best bet. I feel like the battery is better than the SE and it doesn't feel much heavier and has the extra screen to make tasks like emailing a bit easier. I'm sure going from the SE to the plus was a huge change and I could see how it would be too much.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I've got each size and I'd quicker take the SE over the 7; somehow the battery life on the 7 is poor

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
You have a great point. I mentioned the battery case because a phone getting through the day is not enough for me considering that I own an SE that I generally charged every other day. Especially if it is barely through the day, I'm not interested at all.

Found this battery case video and article to be interesting: https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/21/iphone-7-smart-battery-case-smart-pricey-ugly-bigger-battery-video/

I happen to have all three phones. From the things you are saying, I feel like the regular 7 is probably your best bet. I feel like the battery is better than the SE and it doesn't feel much heavier and has the extra screen to make tasks like emailing a bit easier. I'm sure going from the SE to the plus was a huge change and I could see how it would be too much.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
I believe on you on this, but on iOS 9, the SE's battery is awesome. I would always get a day and some, in fact I loved charging every other day. The SE on iOS 10 took a battery hit. It's not as good as it was.

I've got each size and I'd quicker take the SE over the 7; somehow the battery life on the 7 is poor
This is helpful. From everything I read, it is lesser than the 6s was.

Last edited:

lemony0

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
The SE to the Plus is a huge jump. The 7 is the sweet spot for me, having said that I agree with your logic with getting the 8 if it blows us away. As you're swaying towards the SE anyway and not exactly in love with the 7, go for the 4 incher.

Paul Ellis1

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all for your help. Although I was very tempted by the red 7 128gb, I opted for a 128gb SE in space grey.

If the next release is amazing, I'll upgrade to that, if not, I'll get the 7 at discount then and this SE will make a great first phone for my son this Christmas.

Must say, it's lovely having such a powerful device in my favourite form factor since the 3G. I do miss 3D Touch but my main use for that was moving the cursor when writing, this can also be achieved through the Gboard keyboard so that's a relief.

Another point not to overlook, it was nice getting nearly £400 refunded, that'll definitely help towards the 7s or 8 that'll appear later this year!

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks all for your help. Although I was very tempted by the red 7 128gb, I opted for a 128gb SE in space grey.

If the next release is amazing, I'll upgrade to that, if not, I'll get the 7 at discount then and this SE will make a great first phone for my son this Christmas.

Must say, it's lovely having such a powerful device in my favourite form factor since the 3G. I do miss 3D Touch but my main use for that was moving the cursor when writing, this can also be achieved through the Gboard keyboard so that's a relief.

Another point not to overlook, it was nice getting nearly £400 refunded, that'll definitely help towards the 7s or 8 that'll appear later this year!
Sounds good! Congrats and enjoy your new SE!

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
SE battery life is better than iPhone 7. I have SE and iPhone 7 w/ smart battery case but its heavy like plus. SE is light and great battery life. I also miss my 6s plus sometimes lol.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
SE battery life is better than iPhone 7. I have SE and iPhone 7 w/ smart battery case but its heavy like plus. SE is light and great battery life. I also miss my 6s plus sometimes lol.

Question for you: Is it still better than iPhone 7 on iOS 10?

You're so correct about the weight though, there is a weight with the battery case. I found that out today xd

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Question for you: Is it still better than iPhone 7 on iOS 10?

You're so correct about the weight though, there is a weight with the battery case. I found that out today xd
Yes. It may vary by the user experience but I read and text mostly. I rarely play game or watch videos though. I can't comment on the 7 plus because I never had it. IPhone 7 with smart battery is very good. Much better than when I had 6s plus but it's no longer light weight.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR