Is my Matte Black iPhone 7 supposed to make a rattle sound when I tap it?

iHeartBretski

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello.

I recently purchased an iPhone 7. A gold one actually. I had to return it because the display had a stuck pixel. When i returned it all they had was Matte Black so I got that one and when I tap on the phone. Often when I am navigating the UI I hear a rattle sound that is rather loud. It only happens on the upper half of the phone. I'm sure it's the camera but i did not notice it at all with the gold one. It doesn't rattle when I shake it. Are they all like this? Or is it just the matte black? I also heard the matte black chips easily but that's another issue I'm worried about. Thanks if you could try it for me that would be great.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have had the 7 Plus in Matt Black since November. I've never heard a rattling and my paint looks just like it did when I took it out of the box.

There have been reports of chipping that I'm sure happened, but I can tell you that mine is just fine.

I would take your phone back to the Apple Store.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
A very faint rattle isn't unheard of in models with OIS (Plus models and iPhone 7) but that should only occur when shaking the phone. Hearing a rattle during normal use is not normal. Take your iPhone into an Apple Store or contact Apple Support.

madman76

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
That would be your barometer lol it's normal. I don't hear it when shaking phone, but tapping the upper part of the phone on, say your other hand, you'll hear this slight "rattle" like something is loose. It's been in iPhone models for a while now. Completely normal

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
That would be your barometer lol it's normal. I don't hear it when shaking phone, but tapping the upper part of the phone on, say your other hand, you'll hear this slight "rattle" like something is loose. It's been in iPhone models for a while now. Completely normal

I've heard that before, but I have a 7 Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, a 6 and a 5s in my house and not one of them rattle when I tap anywhere. I guess if it doesn't bother you and the phone works then all is good.

Sicily1918

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
If it's on the top-right, it's most likely the little "Silence" switch on the side of the phone... it rattles on my iPhone 5s (both), 6s, and 7 (both).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2