Dropped 7plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore.

As much as I would love to say look for a third party shop to fix it I would strongly suggest going to Apple and have it done. This way you have it done properly and can feel confident you won't have any issues afterwards. The other alternative is to do it on your own. iFixit.com can supply you with the parts and guides on how to do it. Thanks.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't have Apple Care, What's the least expensive way to fix my iPhone 7 plus smashed screen??

Welcome to iMore. Sorry to hear that you dropped your iPhone. I really suggest going to the nearest Genius Bar at an Apple Store so it can be done properly, Yes it will cost, but its better to be safe than sorry. Good Luck and ENJOY the site.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If there are money constraints, a reputable repair shop can put a screen on. But it would void your one year limited warranty that comes with the phone.

Bushkesh

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
If you get your screen replaced by third party it will be most likely that Touch ID will no longer work or you will get error. It's best to get it fixed through Apple.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
You honestly don't save THAT much going to a third party repair center over going directly through Apple. In my experience you're looking at anywhere from a $30-$50 cost savings. For the peace of mind, in my opinion, it's worth it to just go through Apple.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You honestly don't save THAT much going to a third party repair center over going directly through Apple. In my experience you're looking at anywhere from a $30-$50 cost savings. For the peace of mind, in my opinion, it's worth it to just go through Apple.

I doubt I would drive 80 miles to the Apple store as well as pay $50 more for the same service. The shop here does excellent work.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I doubt I would drive 80 miles to the Apple store as well as pay $50 more for the same service. The shop here does excellent work.

In a situation like that, I'd agree. Fortunately I have an Apple Store 10 minutes away. An 80 mile drive probably wouldn't be worth it for me, either. But if the store is close, I'd personally pay the extra. That's just me though.

I did come across an article where Apple has updated their policy on third party repairs.

Third-party iPhone screen repairs no longer void warranty, Apple says

That being said, accidents happen. It would suck if the third party accidentally broke something and now your warranty was void. If you're within your year, I'd recommend going through Apple if possible.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I would check out the Genius Bar if you have an Apple Store nearby. But you could also talk to local 3rd party repair shops too, just so you can cost compare!

That said, a few years ago, we had good luck with a 3rd party repair on my husband's iPad 2. At the time, there was not an Apple Store nearby and the iPad was about 3 years old, so warranty was not an issue.

There were a couple places we checked out before choosing... and reviews were what sealed the deal. If you opt to choose a 3rd party repair, look on Yelp, or Facebook for reviews.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I like to go to the Apple Store because I might just get a straight up replacement instead of just a new screen.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Dont risk it and go to Apple to get the screen replaced. They will not only guarantee it, but they will calibrate the new screen to make sure your 7 plus will still work as it did before the drop incident ??????

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Aren't all iPhone 7 under a standard 1 year Apple warranty considering it hasn't been out that long? And I would love to see a legit link to a source where it mentions $89 for a screen replacement.

Physical damage is not covered by the one year warranty.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
That's common knowledge. I was asking the previous person considering he/she said it's possible to replace the screen for $89 out of warranty at Apple.

Right, but I was responding to the first part of your post (which I bolded in my quote) where you stated/asked "Aren't all iPhone 7 under a standard 1 year Apple warranty considering it hasn't been out that long?"

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Aren't all iPhone 7 under a standard 1 year Apple warranty considering it hasn't been out that long? And I would love to see a legit link to a source where it mentions $89 for a screen replacement.

Apple Store only charges like 89 for a 7plus if not under warranty.....

I was quoted $129 by an Apple Store employee when I was looking into replacing the cracked screen on my sons iPhone 5 SE. I believe all of their out of warranty screen repairs are that price. 7 Plus and 6 Plus devices are $149.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/screen-damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods