Sim card transfer iphone 6 to 7?

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I have an iphone 6 on tmobile and am probably going to go to an iphone 7 at some point. I'm likely to buy the iphone 7 from apple directly to save a little money. I'm wanting to keep my current number and not have to mess around with anything there. I spoke to an apple rep and they said I'd be able to switch the sim card(obviously have them do it at apple store, no fee he said either)

Just want to do with as few headaches as possible. But are sims from i6 transferrable into an i7?

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely. Just pop it out of the older device and into the new one. Easy peasy.

Well obviously I'd have them do it in apple store. I don't have tools to do it plus I'd rather a professional do it. Would I still have any luck selling my iphone 6 without a sim card? Is there more value to phones with cards then without?
Will phone still do anything with no sim card, because I absolutely want to be sure that everything I want to transfer over to new phone is able to go.
I could always just buy a phone with a t mobile sim card in it already and just have them port the number over?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Well obviously I'd have them do it in apple store. I don't have tools to do it plus I'd rather a professional do it. Would I still have any luck selling my iphone 6 without a sim card? Is there more value to phones with cards then without?
Will phone still do anything with no sim card, because I absolutely want to be sure that everything I want to transfer over to new phone is able to go.
I could always just buy a phone with a t mobile sim card in it already and just have them port the number over?

All you need is a paperclip. Just stick the paper clip in the sim card hole and the tray will pop out with the sim card in it. Simply put the sim card in the tray of the iPhone 7 and pop the tray back in. No need to activate a new sim card but if you want to do that go ahead.

upandover

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
+1 on the paperclip. If you still have the box it came in there should be a tool in there too. No one sells phones with sim cards in for obvious reasons so that won't affect resale value.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
If you are going to buy it at a Apple store obviously have them do it if you have it shipped there should be a clip in the box to change it remember the sim is Your account card from Your carrier and you can use it in any device that accepts a nano sim .

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
This:

All you need is a paperclip. Just stick the paper clip in the sim card hole and the tray will pop out with the sim card in it. Simply put the sim card in the tray of the iPhone 7 and pop the tray back in. No need to activate a new sim card but if you want to do that go ahead.

Or this:

If you are going to buy it at a Apple store obviously have them do it if you have it shipped there should be a clip in the box to change it remember the sim is Your account card from Your carrier and you can use it in any device that accepts a nano sim .

Just pop your current SIM from the 6 to and 7, you keep your number and bypass your carrier. I've done this the last couple of years when getting a new device from Apple and not Verizon.

Sometimes Big Red likes to charge me an activation fee when I do this, but I call and complain and they'll waive the fee for me.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

The phone essentially becomes like an iPod Touch without the sim card.

Porting numbers is done at the carrier. Let them take care of it for you. Once it's done, as long as your phone is compatible with the network, you can just put the new sim in and it'll work.

mws_1984

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
The phone essentially becomes like an iPod Touch without the sim card.

Porting numbers is done at the carrier. Let them take care of it for you. Once it's done, as long as your phone is compatible with the network, you can just put the new sim in and it'll work.

My number is already with t mobile so hopefully isn't an issue. I don't have an ipod touch so no idea the comparison lol. Does that mean it still has all the stuff that was on the phone but just can't get online with it? I'd likely try to sell the iphone 6 once I have the new phone all ready to go. People will buy without a sim card I hope.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have yet to hear people asking for a SIM card when buying a phone from someone else.
Most of them just use their own card or ask for one from their own carrier if their own one is an older SIM card.

And yes, iPod is just an iPhone without cellular abilities, as in being able to place and receive phone calls, conventional SMS Texts or going online using the cellular data plan.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711