Having Bluetooth turned on all the time

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I keep Bluetooth on all the time and it doesn't appear to effect my battery life negatively.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you have multiple devices connected to it all the time
. No, not multiple devices all the time, but it is constantly connected to my Watch.
or is it just on by default but not in use (grayed out Bluetooth symbol)?
I keep it on by default. When I get into my car, it connects, when I put on my Bose QC-35's or other Bluetooth headset, it connects. No negative impact with regards to battery life in my experience.

Last edited:

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
. No, not multiple device all the time, but it is constantly connected to my Watch.
I keep it on by default. When I get into my car, it connects, when I put on my Bose QC-35's or other Bluetooth headset, it connects. No negative impact with regards to battery life in my experience.

That's good to hear. I have the QC35s and I might be getting the QC30s soon. So that means that I'd have Bluetooth turned on all the time on my iPhone 7 and MacBook Pro 13" Retina 128 GB early 2015 so that they can connect automatically. I was mainly worried about the battery drain and slow charging time when Bluetooth is turned on all the time on my two devices. However I can see that this will not be an issue for me.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
There is none I can tell. It does use a small amount, but nothing to be concerned about. I don't worry about battery anyway. I'll upgrade before it goes dead.

I'll be upgrading between the end of September and the end of the year so I guess I won't have to worry about the battery.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Mine is on always and I have 2-4 things paired to it at all times. For sure my Apple Watch and Fitbit are connected 24/7 and then I often have bt earbuds or car connection or something else in the picture. My battery lasts all day nearly every single day.

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
And with the apple watch your phone won't light up every time you get a notification, which saves your battery life again. I think that negates the usage of bluetooth.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Does having Bluetooth on all the time affect battery life and charging time?

In my experience it doesn't use much battery. Most bluetooth variants are the LE version. (Low Energy). So you should be good. Leaving Wi-Fi on may drain the battery a little. If Bluetooth is in idle its almost 0% used. :)

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Bluetooth has gotten much better than it used to be with battery life. I leave mine on all the time b/c of my Apple Watch. That being said, if I didn't have an Apple Watch I would only turn it on when I needed it. I just don't really like the icon in the menu bar.

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
It's hard to say. It probably affects it by 1-2% but what we do from day to day varies so much you're never going to notice it. Apple turn it on by default after a restart so it can't be significant.

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I've never see it automatically turned on after a restart.

It did do that after a software update, but I haven't noticed it anymore since a few updates ago. It used to annoy me with the iPad because I seldomly use bluetooth on there and have it turned off by default,after an update it suddenly was on again.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice. I've kept Bluetooth on both my iPhone 7 and my MacBook Pro so that my Bose QC30s and soon my Watch Series 2 42mm will automatically connect.

tdelfie03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
My Bluetooth and location are on all the time. I also listen to audiobooks for 8+ hrs at work. I have never had my battery die on me at work. That being said I do charge it while I sleep once I get home. But it goes for 10 hrs straight with all that going.

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Bluetooth being turned on, in and of itself does not drain battery. Battery drain occurs when certain Bluetooth functions are used like transferring data, streaming music or videos, phone calls. The trouble is using data, streaming music or videos, and phone calls without Bluetooth drain the battery as well. Differentiating is difficult. So bottomline, based on personal experience, and the other posts, simply being on does not drain the battery. Also, it shouldn't be draining the battery when connected to  Watch that much unless. I never turn my Bluetooth off and have no issues.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2