Is it worth upgrading to the iPhone 7?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Confession time. I'm still rocking my iPhone 6 Plus. Not the 6s Plus, the 6 Plus. Still runs great, 0 issues, and I LOVE the battery life.

That said, I'm due for an upgrade, and wanted to ask all of you if you feel the iPhone 7 is worth it? I hear a lot of conflicting info from current iPhone 7 owners. Some say it's great, others say it's solid, but buggy and not worth the upgrade.

So - current iPhone 7 (or 7 Plus) owners out there, is it worth the upgrade? What do you like/not like compared to your previous-gen iPhone?? Your help and advice is appreciated!!

fury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I have lots of experience with the 6 plus, used it as my primary phone for a bit.

Compared to the 6 plus, the 7 feels super snappy. The 7 plus ought to feel faster, too.

6 plus was Apple's first phone with such a strange display setup. I think they've just about worked out the kinks and everything is fast these days, but on the original, you could definitely feel some stutter and frame drop as a result of the massive number of pixels it's rendering and rescaling. That'll be gone on the 7 or 7 plus.

The 3D Touch and haptic feedback add a nice touch to things.

Battery-wise, neither the 6 plus nor the 7 satisfy my super big power hunger anyway, so battery case and battery packs are my friend. Depending on your usage, you may wish to get the 7 plus to at least be on par with the 6 plus in battery life if you don't mind the size.

Touch ID and the speed of the camera are really great.

You can't really go wrong coming from the 6 plus to either one of these phones, but if the 6 plus is still getting the job done, you might want to hang out til the next one

cbreze

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Had a 6+ when it came out but sold it after 6 months then later got a 6s(not+)and liked it a lot. It was a used device but I really enjoyed the quickness over the 6+. Verizon made me an offer I had a hard time refusing. Trade my 6s for a 7. Decided I already liked the smaller more easily handled size. I didn't think it would be that noticeable but the speed is def better and the best part is the battery life is the best on any phone I've ever had. The RF cellular signal is noticeably better than any phone in recent memory and call quality was a pleasant surprise as well. Glad I did it but getting a straight across trade from Verizon is what sealed the deal for me. I would not have paid full price or probably even a reduced price for it as the 6s was fine. The new home button configuration is better than I thought it would be and I got used to it really quick. Coming from a 6 to a 7 would be a nice improvement and if you can do it for minimal cash outlay I'd say go for it. That 6+ battery might be showing signs of wear by now or maybe will be soon as it is well beyond 2 years of life.

Last edited:

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a iPhone 7 plus 128 and before this one I was sporting a 6s and 6s plus model. I feel the upgrade was worth it, I have seen improvements in my battery life and I also like the water and moisture resistance they now have built into the iPhone 7 series.

I don't listen to music on any of my devices, so not having the headphone jack is not an issue for me. The new home button which I thought might be an issue getting used to, I find myself liking it better then the older one.

As far as speed and or performance increase, I haven't seen anything that really stands out, my apps seem to open and perform the same as they did on my 6 series.

Call quality, I have seen a reduction in dropped calls, but that could also be attributed to the lasted software updates. I always tell anyone who wants to upgrade to the latest iPhone the same thing every time I am asked. If you can financially afford to make it happen, then go for it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Confession time. I'm still rocking my iPhone 6 Plus. Not the 6s Plus, the 6 Plus. Still runs great, 0 issues, and I LOVE the battery life.

That said, I'm due for an upgrade, and wanted to ask all of you if you feel the iPhone 7 is worth it? I hear a lot of conflicting info from current iPhone 7 owners. Some say it's great, others say it's solid, but buggy and not worth the upgrade.

So - current iPhone 7 (or 7 Plus) owners out there, is it worth the upgrade? What do you like/not like compared to your previous-gen iPhone?? Your help and advice is appreciated!!

Yes, the iPhone 7 is worth the upgrade in my opinion. Having said that, if you're not concerned with what the iPhone 8 might bring as far as looks and specs are concerned AND you plan on keeping the iPhone 7 for more than a year then yes, go ahead and upgrade now and enjoy the increased speed, gorgeous display, excellent camera and the new haptic button....

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded from a 6 to a 7 and feel it was a good upgrade. But I probably wouldn't have upgraded if I had a 6S.

iPh6ne6

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Just gone from a 6 to a 7 and feel it was definitely worth the upgrade.

Hardware is better and battery life is so much longer. Software, there's not a massive difference but a few subtle extras, 3D Touch etc make it worthwhile

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you had a 6S or 6S Plus with the same credentials, I'd say stick with it since you won't feel that much of an upgrade. But if from a 6/6 Plus, go for it.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a 6 (stolen last year) went for a jet black 7, gotta say I'm VERY surprised with battery life, I'm also enjoying 3D touch and haptic feedback.

Yes it's worth it! (specially if coming from 6 or below.)

James Cagney

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Go for the 7 Plus instead, its battery life is awesome, beat S7 Edge for me, which has a battery of 3600 mAh, lol. It also has a great display, 1080p, while iPhone 7's display seems outdated.

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
Also it should be mentioned that, as far as performance is concerned, and according to Geekbench and Antutu, the 7 shreds everything else on the market.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I actually went from the 6 to the SE and now to the 7. Aside from having to readjust to the size, I am loving it. Definitely worth it if you can't hold off another 8+ months.

_YoKolorMeBadd

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I used to have an iPhone 6 and iPhone SE. Paid both of them off and just recently bought a iPhone 7 256gb. Honestly I feel like the water/dust resistant alone is a great reason to upgrade. You won't have to worry about getting your phone wet if you "accidentally" jump in the pool with the phone in your pocket. Or if you accidentally spill water on your phone, you'll have some relief knowing that your phone is now water resistant. It'll be harder for your phone to get water damage, compared to the 6/6s.

I'm also starting to like the haptic feedback and the 3D touch. Something I didn't have with either the iPhone 6 or iPhone SE. To be honest I didn't think I would like the new home button but it's pretty good. Feels kind of natural to me after a few days.

Jan 31, 2017
Visit site
Can anyone remember such reluctance to upgrade from loyal apple customers before? They really need to do something special with the 8 because Samsung and Google are genuine alternatives even for die hards like me.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Can anyone remember such reluctance to upgrade from loyal apple customers before? They really need to do something special with the 8 because Samsung and Google are genuine alternatives even for die hards like me.

I've been all in on Apple for years now. I actually have been looking closely at Google's Pixel phones more and more. I will really be paying attention to whatever they release in the Pixels this year because for the first time in a long time I'm thinking of maybe looking to go elsewhere.

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Go for the 7 Plus instead, its battery life is awesome, beat S7 Edge for me, which has a battery of 3600 mAh, lol. It also has a great display, 1080p, while iPhone 7's display seems outdated.

The 7+ has a nice display but it's only 401ppi. Plus it's a not for everybody. The regular 7 is a solid device as well and it doesn't feel like a brick in your pocket

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh