Trying to decide between matte black or silver

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Matte black looks better in my opinion. I just feel like the silver looks too generic almost these days. Almost every OEM has a silver aluminum back/white face phone. Not many are doing true black aluminum (jet or matte).

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore.

This question gets asked a lot. I always offer the same advice. As all people have different taste you are going to get varying answers. Plus no one has your exact taste. I suggest going to the Apple Store and comparing them side by side. In the end you are the person who has to live with and use it. And you don't want to base your decisions on other peoples like and dislikes then down the road regret your final decision.

wkelly24

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I think you need to decide what color you like the front of the phone. The silver has a white front and the mb has the black front. Will you be satisfied with what the case (if you use one) will look with the color of the front face of the phone. These were some of the compromises I needed to look at when I couldn't get the space black iPhone 6, but the silver was available. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Matte black looks better in my opinion. I just feel like the silver looks too generic almost these days. Almost every OEM has a silver aluminum back/white face phone. Not many are doing true black aluminum (jet or matte).

I agree. And the Jet Black looks great in pictures... when it´s cleaned ;)

Cheers

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I started with a silver 7 Plus and switched to a matte black a week later. I'm glad I did; the matte black is really, really sharp.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Unless your only using it for calls and little stuff, I would definitely go with matte black. You almost don't know that the bezels are there with this one.

Nonsenseinsd8

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Had silver 6s plus, got matte black 7 the day it was released, freaked out over the amount of finger prints I was seeing (and maybe a little bit about the size of the phone, didn't even give it a chance though), returned the 7 and ordered the silver 7 plus ... at this point, while I love the silver, I wish I would have ordered the plus in the matte black. The phone looks so rich and nice especially in some of those leather/silicone apple cases. Let us know what you end up with, you're gonna love it either way

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Had silver 6s plus, got matte black 7 the day it was released, freaked out over the amount of finger prints I was seeing (and maybe a little bit about the size of the phone, didn't even give it a chance though), returned the 7 and ordered the silver 7 plus ... at this point, while I love the silver, I wish I would have ordered the plus in the matte black. The phone looks so rich and nice especially in some of those leather/silicone apple cases. Let us know what you end up with, you're gonna love it either way
Yeah, they all look great, to be honest. ;)

Cheers

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
For me it's really about the color of the front. I don't like the white fronts so I always get black. You may want to consider that as well.

fatfury

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Here are some pros and cons that might help YOU decide.

Jet Black:
PROS- gorgeous to look at when cleaned. Looks like one solid piece of material with how well the glass, antennae lines, and aluminum are buffed together. Black front and looks good with most color cases. Because the iPhone is polished, there is more surface area which provides a better grip with less slippage.

CONS: because of the impeccable shine, like anything shiny it attracts fingerprints very easily (think of how your screen looks after a few hours of use, now imagine that all over your iPhone). It scratches easier due to the buffing process creating more surface area. By scratches easier I'm talking about hairline scratches. Though the metal is infused with a black "dye" natural aluminum is silverish in color therefore deeper scratches or nicks can cause a contrast and therefore be more noticeable.

Black (matte):
PROS- Beautiful iPhone to look at with a very stealthy vibe. True black color. Front screen is black, antennae lines are black and of course iPhone is black which makes for an almost seamless design visually. Black front matches with most color cases perfectly.

CONS- because the aluminum is sandblasted to help diffuse light reflection, it causes less surface area which does make the iPhone much more slippery. Though the metal is infused with a black "dye" natural aluminum is silverish in color therefore deeper scratches or nicks can cause a contrast and therefore be more noticeable.

Silver:
PROS- Clean look leaning towards the basic element aluminum. Scratches and nicks will be far less noticeable on this color as its much closer to natural aluminum color (if not exact). If you're not a black face fan, has a white front panel which adds to its clean design. Darker gray antennae lines match well with the color of the iPhone

CONS- since antennae lines aren't an exact color match of the iPhone itself, they are more noticeable when not using a case. Just as slippery as the black (matte) iPhone due to its sandblasted finish.

Rose Gold:

PROS- pretty color that provides somewhat of a unique look. Since it's a in the lighter color spectrum, small scratches and nicks won't be as noticeable compared to both black iPhones. If your not a fan of black faces iPhones, had a white front panel.

CONS- antennae lines are white which are very noticeable when not using a case since they contrast with the rose gold. Same as the silver and black (matte) has the same slippery issue due to its sand blasted surface. Color choice combinations with a case seem to be more limited than all other colors due to its unique color.

Gold:
PROS- prestigious looking color. Nice alternative to the basic silver and black choices. Lighter color means small scratches and nicks are not as noticeable. White front panel if you're not a fan of the black faced iPhones.

CONS- antennae lines are white which cause them to be more noticeable when not using a case. Just like the silver, black (matte) and rose gold, it had a sand blasted finish causing it to be more slippery in the hand.

Ultimately, the choice is yours and I would suggest choosing what YOU like the best. When I was choosing, these are all the things I considered before I chose. Go with your gut on this ;). I hope this list helps you

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner