Trying to decide between matte black or silver

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Here are some pros and cons that might help YOU decide.

Jet Black:
PROS- gorgeous to look at when cleaned. Looks like one solid piece of material with how well the glass, antennae lines, and aluminum are buffed together. Black front and looks good with most color cases. Because the iPhone is polished, there is more surface area which provides a better grip with less slippage.

CONS: because of the impeccable shine, like anything shiny it attracts fingerprints very easily (think of how your screen looks after a few hours of use, now imagine that all over your iPhone). It scratches easier due to the buffing process creating more surface area. By scratches easier I'm talking about hairline scratches. Though the metal is infused with a black "dye" natural aluminum is silverish in color therefore deeper scratches or nicks can cause a contrast and therefore be more noticeable.

Black (matte):
PROS- Beautiful iPhone to look at with a very stealthy vibe. True black color. Front screen is black, antennae lines are black and of course iPhone is black which makes for an almost seamless design visually. Black front matches with most color cases perfectly.

CONS- because the aluminum is sandblasted to help diffuse light reflection, it causes less surface area which does make the iPhone much more slippery. Though the metal is infused with a black "dye" natural aluminum is silverish in color therefore deeper scratches or nicks can cause a contrast and therefore be more noticeable.

Silver:
PROS- Clean look leaning towards the basic element aluminum. Scratches and nicks will be far less noticeable on this color as its much closer to natural aluminum color (if not exact). If you're not a black face fan, has a white front panel which adds to its clean design. Darker gray antennae lines match well with the color of the iPhone

CONS- since antennae lines aren't an exact color match of the iPhone itself, they are more noticeable when not using a case. Just as slippery as the black (matte) iPhone due to its sandblasted finish.

Rose Gold:

PROS- pretty color that provides somewhat of a unique look. Since it's a in the lighter color spectrum, small scratches and nicks won't be as noticeable compared to both black iPhones. If your not a fan of black faces iPhones, had a white front panel.

CONS- antennae lines are white which are very noticeable when not using a case since they contrast with the rose gold. Same as the silver and black (matte) has the same slippery issue due to its sand blasted surface. Color choice combinations with a case seem to be more limited than all other colors due to its unique color.

Gold:
PROS- prestigious looking color. Nice alternative to the basic silver and black choices. Lighter color means small scratches and nicks are not as noticeable. White front panel if you're not a fan of the black faced iPhones.

CONS- antennae lines are white which cause them to be more noticeable when not using a case. Just like the silver, black (matte) and rose gold, it had a sand blasted finish causing it to be more slippery in the hand.

Ultimately, the choice is yours and I would suggest choosing what YOU like the best. When I was choosing, these are all the things I considered before I chose. Go with your gut on this ;). I hope this list helps you

That is a great analysis of the colors indeed! Thanks :)

Cheers

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
If I was buying a new 7 today it would be matte black I have always thought devices looked better in black however that's just my choice good luck on yours .

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I always had silver iPhones but when Apple finally decided to make a truly BLACK iPhone I couldn't resist. My matte black 7 Plus is one sexy beast!

iPh6ne6

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I got a silver 6 as I fancied a change.

Regretted it after a couple of months.

Got the matte black 7 now, and I will never sway from a black phone again.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR