Can anyone confirm that Best Buy sells only the A1660 model even if you are on AT&T?
    12-14-2016 09:51 PM
    I cannot, but hopefully someone who can will reply soon.
    12-16-2016 06:14 PM
    Yes. That's correct, they only have the A1660 model.
    12-17-2016 01:42 AM
    I can also confirm this as I purchased one in Oct at full retail price and once I put my att sim in it, it actually locked it to att and I had to call att to unlock it. The BB iPhones will auto lock to att or T-Mobile or sprint once you activate them even if you paid full retail for it. It's not like when you purchase one at full retail from Apple where the phone is unlocked and stays unlocked.

Just something to be aware of. It's funny because the BB Mobile person told me it would lock to att even though I paid full retail, and I assumed they were incorrect in their statement since I assumed the phone would be unlocked just like buying from Apple. 99% of the time I have always bought my iPhones from Apple directly at full price and the only reason I bought one from BB is because Apple stores were constantly sold out and the shipping times were still at 6-8 weeks
    12-21-2016 02:07 AM
    I can also confirm this as I purchased one in Oct at full retail price and once I put my att sim in it, it actually locked it to att and I had to call att to unlock it. The BB iPhones will auto lock to att or T-Mobile or sprint once you activate them even if you paid full retail for it. It's not like when you purchase one at full retail from Apple where the phone is unlocked and stays unlocked.

Just something to be aware of. It's funny because the BB Mobile person told me it would lock to att even though I paid full retail, and I assumed they were incorrect in their statement since I assumed the phone would be unlocked just like buying from Apple. 99% of the time I have always bought my iPhones from Apple directly at full price and the only reason I bought one from BB is because Apple stores were constantly sold out and the shipping times were still at 6-8 weeks
    Technically all carriers lock at time of activation even if BYOD with full paid device. The law is reciprocal. By using their network you agree to allow them to lock it, but on the other hand the FCC requires they unlock upon your request. It's all about stats. An unlocked off contract device doesn't show in the system the same as a locked device which appears on contract even though it isn't. So by having it locked it inflates the numbers for the carrier. It's harmless as you know as they unlock within minutes by request on the carrier site.
    12-25-2016 09:28 PM
    Technically all carriers lock at time of activation even if BYOD with full paid device. The law is reciprocal. By using their network you agree to allow them to lock it, but on the other hand the FCC requires they unlock upon your request. It's all about stats. An unlocked off contract device doesn't show in the system the same as a locked device which appears on contract even though it isn't. So by having it locked it inflates the numbers for the carrier. It's harmless as you know as they unlock within minutes by request on the carrier site.
    That is not true. When I was with Att I bought phones from Apple Unlocked and it never locked to Att. This year I bought a Tmo branded iPhone from Apple at retail and it never locked to Tmo. So technically, this incorrect.
    12-25-2016 11:33 PM
    I think they may be right. My sister bought an iPhone 7 A1660 from Best Buy in October. She didn't like it so she sold it to me. I'm still waiting on T-Mobile to unlock it. In escalation as we speak.
    12-26-2016 06:20 PM
    That is not true. When I was with Att I bought phones from Apple Unlocked and it never locked to Att. This year I bought a Tmo branded iPhone from Apple at retail and it never locked to Tmo. So technically, this incorrect.
    It locks when you activate it. If you bought a "T-Mo" model and put an AT&T SIM in and activated of course it never locked to "T-Mo"....not gonna try to have a rational conversation with an irrational poster. Read the law that governs locking and unlocking which makes no mention of full retail purchases ensuring an unlocked device.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the one's who have the facts are the one's who matter".

Get some facts and come back and see me. Verizon is the ONLY carrier that does not lock devices to Verizon ever. Hence, the A1660 coincidentally being the Verizon model.
    12-26-2016 10:00 PM
    It locks when you activate it. If you bought a "T-Mo" model and put an AT&T SIM in and activated of course it never locked to "T-Mo"....not gonna try to have a rational conversation with an irrational poster. Read the law that governs locking and unlocking which makes no mention of full retail purchases ensuring an unlocked device.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the one's who have the facts are the one's who matter".

Get some facts and come back and see me. Verizon is the ONLY carrier that does not lock devices to Verizon ever. Hence, the A1660 coincidentally being the Verizon model.
    I have out an Att sim in my Tmo and it hasn't locked. Vice versa. Nothing has ever locked. I don't need to get you any facts. I'm not the one that's irrational. I just now that facts from personal experience. But hey your the know it all.
    12-27-2016 12:58 AM
    I have out an Att sim in my Tmo and it hasn't locked. Vice versa. Nothing has ever locked. I don't need to get you any facts. I'm not the one that's irrational. I just now that facts from personal experience. But hey your the know it all.
    What ever helps you sleep at night. You're the only one in the country who has slipped through both the loopholes with the FCC and at the carriers. If it works for you, congratulations...sincerely.
    12-27-2016 01:42 PM
    What ever helps you sleep at night. You're the only one in the country who has slipped through both the loopholes with the FCC and at the carriers. If it works for you, congratulations...sincerely.
    My iPhone 5S and iPhone 6S are unlocked and neither lock when I put in a different carrier SIM.
    12-27-2016 09:36 PM
    I was simply stating a combination of what I know as fact, and my personal experiences. Your statement about locked phones may apply to carrier locked phones purchased from Sprint, AT&T and Tmobile (does not apply to Verizon since all LTE phones are unlocked be default as part of an agreement with the FCC a few years ago), but it 100% does not apply to phones purchased at full retail price directly from Apple, regardless of carrier as I have purchased plenty of phones from Apple at full retail and have switch sims between my AT&T and Tmobile accounts and have never had them lock to a carrier after inserting the sims. Also, the last part of your statement is partially incorrect. Carriers will unlock your phone as long as certain requirements are met.
    12-27-2016 10:50 PM
    Personally, I'd avoid BB when buying a phone. They've jacked me over so many times that I've completely written them off. Hopefully the one you're dealing with is more competent than any of the ones in the North Dallas/Carrollton, Lewisville areas in Texas.
    12-28-2016 08:58 AM
    Personally, I'd avoid BB when buying a phone. They've jacked me over so many times that I've completely written them off. Hopefully the one you're dealing with is more competent than any of the ones in the North Dallas/Carrollton, Lewisville areas in Texas.
    What issues have you had? All I typically need the store to do is give me the phone and activate it on whatever network I'm using. I've used Best Buy in the past without a problem.
    12-28-2016 09:27 AM
    Does Best Buy price match? All their devices are $50 more unlocked that I see. That's why I've always avoided them.
    12-28-2016 11:25 AM
    Does Best Buy price match? All their devices are $50 more unlocked that I see. That's why I've always avoided them.
    I think so.
    12-28-2016 08:46 PM