Intrigued, but questioning

frith360

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I've been a long time Android/Windows Phone user, and am strongly considering buying my first iPhone. I currently own a galaxy S6 edge, and my only question is do you think it's worth changing ecosystems based on the following criteria:

1) Camera is most important to me. Is the iPhone 7 a decent enough bump on a GS6
2) Moving from Android to iPhone, I would lose function of my wireless charger and Gear Fit smartwatch (Sammy only)
3) Selling my GS6, Smartwatch, and wireless charger means my iPhone 7 would literally cost me nothing with my company subsidy. My only cost would be a new smartwatch
4) Any recommendations on a smartwatch when I only care about notifications and style (I use mine for SMS/Messenger and notifications reminding me to take my pills).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

kirankannan8

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I've been a long time Android/Windows Phone user, and am strongly considering buying my first iPhone. I currently own a galaxy S6 edge, and my only question is do you think it's worth changing ecosystems based on the following criteria:

1) Camera is most important to me. Is the iPhone 7 a decent enough bump on a GS6
2) Moving from Android to iPhone, I would lose function of my wireless charger and Gear Fit smartwatch (Sammy only)
3) Selling my GS6, Smartwatch, and wireless charger means my iPhone 7 would literally cost me nothing with my company subsidy. My only cost would be a new smartwatch
4) Any recommendations on a smartwatch when I only care about notifications and style (I use mine for SMS/Messenger and notifications reminding me to take my pills).

Okay great! I can understand your dilemma. I own an iPhone 6s but I come from an Android background.
I also own an LG Urbane smartwatch.

1)Since Camera is one of your priorities, I can assure you that the iPhone 7 camera is way better than the camera of the S6 Edge.
If budget and screen size is not a constraint, you could even go with the iPhone 7 Plus which offers a dual lens camera.

2)As far as smartwatch goes, I use my LG Urbane Smartwatch with my iPhone 6s, and I must say,
you can't use your Android smartwatch to it's full capability with an iPhone. It just offers basic functionality like showing notifications though!

3) If you don't use your Smartwatch much and and don't want to waste too much money on your Smartwatch, go for an Android wear.
Although, I would still go back in time and purchase an Apple watch had I known I'd be purchasing an iPhone 6s :p

4)My personal opinion therefore, would be to go with the Apple Watch series 1 if you're considering on purchasing an iPhone and a smartwatch.

Peace!
-Kiran

frith360

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I hardly use my smartwatch... I just need it to see incoming text messages and reminders for my meds because I'm horrible at remembering to take them on time.

I'm going to see if I can get my iPhone later this week. As much as I would like the dual camera on the plus, the phone is just too big for my preferences. 5'4 girl here with tiny hands lol

Thanks for the advice :)

darius_robin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
1) Suggest buying a 7 Plus if you want a great camera. It has one of the best cameras out there. The S7 and PIxel also have a great camera and are smaller. You can consider them if Android is fine with you.
2) Buy a Apple Watch Series 1 if you want a great smartwatch, but if you want to go swimming with it and want GPS then the Series 2 is nice. The Series 1 is a better value for money though. The Gear S3 is great if you are going for the S7 and can wait for its release.

frith360

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I ended up snagging a ZenWatch 2 for 100$, because I really don't like the look of the Pebble watches. I would agree that the 7Plus does have a unique camera, but it's just simply too large for my preferences.

Now to get me a rose gold 7 :)

jorge Hewitson

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
1)The Iphone 7 has one of the best cameras on the market, some will say that it is not the best, it is a matter of taste.

2)The wireless charge is a matter of appreciation, the wireless charge takes almost twice as long to charge as with the cable, if it has an advantage in specific places, but in general I do not think it is a great achievement until they improve the charging times.

3)There are a lot of smart watches, but, if you want the complete experience I think the apple watch is the smartest option to link with an iphone, in addition to being careful many options to customize it, the watch is a fashion accessory too

Keep an eye on the interactive guide, Apple Watch - Gallery - Apple

frith360

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
If money was not an option, there is no doubt I'd get an apple watch. However, in Canada, the Series 1's are 400$ after taxes. The Zenwatch I got, while limited on iOS, looks beautiful and performs the functions I need.

Maybe in the future I'll swap out to an apple watch when finances permit

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Honestly, the camera is not a reason to buy an iPhone over a Galaxy S#/S# Edge device. Maybe next year. Not right now.

"One of the best on the market" is marketing speak. The images speak for themselves; particularly in low light, where it isn't even a competition.

Apple has been ramping up the processing and compression in its camera for a couple of years. People have been complaining about drops in IQ when upgrading cameras since the iPhone 6 came out. The camera does spit out "brighter" images than its predecessors, but I'm not sold that it's an upgrade in IQ. In most cases, the aggressive JPEG compression completely deletes any [theoretical] improvements in image quality; and in some cases results in even worse images. The iPhone 7 has also inherited a side effect many other wide aperture devices have, in that it tends to blow out lights quite easily and has a tendency to overexpose images. This is very noticeable in low light shots; but has a side effect of washing out the colors in many daylight images, as well.

Last edited:

bcandiolo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I own a SGS6 Edge. You won't find and iPhone with a better camera.
iPhones produce beautiful pictures, especially capturing real skin color, very nice dynamic range, white balance, and HDR usage.
- They are poor in macro pictures
- The focal distance is quite large while focusing close objects
- Sharpness is poor (compared to Sammy cameras)
- 16Mp pics taken with the SGA6 are are zoomable to a much more detail

My advice is, try an iPhone before you make that decision, if the camera is important to you, iPhone will give you nice pics, but I guarantee you'll miss your Samsung camera

EBUK

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, the camera is not a reason to buy an iPhone over a Galaxy S#/S# Edge device. Maybe next year. Not right now...

Everything you say is spot on. I wish I'd known this before I fell for the marketing. My LG G3 produces sharper images. Apparently its to do with the way Apple combines multiple shots.

Great phone, lousy image quality.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW