I'm torn

gpo1956

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Are the hardware differences between the 7 and 7 Plus significant enough to justify the larger harder to carry size of the 7 Plus? Would the average user notice any significant performance differences between the two in day to day use?

Alain_A

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about the +. I have the 7 which is the right size for me at the moment and I doubt I would go bigger. It all depends of your need. The 7 is very fast, battery for me is about 2 days if I don't browse all day.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Battery last me a full day of heavy usage.
But light usage, I can get about two days.

The plus also has dual lens so portrait mode is pretty sweet.

I also have a 7 and battery is pretty good on that. I can get close to a full day with a good amount of usage.

My Plus is personal and 7 is for work.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Are the hardware differences between the 7 and 7 Plus significant enough to justify the larger harder to carry size of the 7 Plus? Would the average user notice any significant performance differences between the two in day to day use?

That will depend on your usage. I've had both the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus. The iPhone 7, in my opinion, is a tad bit faster that my iPhone 7 Plus. Yes, the overall specs of the iPhone 7 Plus are better than those of the iPhone 7, still, unless the better camera and extra gig of RAM is a deal breaker, I would recommend that "you" get the iPhone 7 instead of the iPhone 7 Plus.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Battery and camera are the two main things. I went with the 7 because I like the one handed usability and also don't need the dual camera (for now) since the 7 has OIS. I most likely will go with the larger model next year if they slim down the bezels so it is not such a large overall size. But to your question, outside of the battery, most would not notice the difference in day to day use.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
When in doubt, go for the Plus. That's what I did.
Coming from an iPhone 5S, I didn't want to miss out on the dual camera and the bigger screen.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
As others have said, it depends on your usage. I've had a 6 Plus, 6s Plus, 6s, and now a 7 Plus. When I had the 6s I could never get a full day battery, I had charge a number of times throughout the day. However I use my phone all the day for work and for myself. Since I watch a lot of YouTube and video, I prefer the larger screen, and the extra battery life is perfect. It all depends on how much you use your phone and what you use it for, also how important one handed usage is to you. Since I always use my phone two handed the Plus isn't any different for me.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I believe the average user will absolutely notice the differences in battery life. Aside from that, probably not.

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
That will depend on your usage. I've had both the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus. The iPhone 7, in my opinion, is a tad bit faster that my iPhone 7 Plus. Yes, the overall specs of the iPhone 7 Plus are better than those of the iPhone 7, still, unless the better camera and extra gig of RAM is a deal breaker, I would recommend that "you" get the iPhone 7 instead of the iPhone 7 Plus.

The 7 was faster than your 7 Plus? That seems backwards, with the 7 Plus having a GB more RAM. I'm not saying you're lying, it just doesn't seem like that should be.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The 7 was faster than your 7 Plus? That seems backwards, with the 7 Plus having a GB more RAM. I'm not saying you're lying, it just doesn't seem like that should be.

I had the iPhone 7 for exactly two weeks and when I switched it out for the iPhone 7 Plus, the first thing I noticed was the difference in speed. Specifically, in doing every day tasks. At the time, I had not set up the iPhone 7 Plus as new, but I've since done that. Anyway, at the time, the speed difference wasn't great or anything, but it was noticeable.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

I had both. Didn't notice any difference in performance. Just having portrait mode was nice on the Plus.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the 7 over the larger size. I agonize over it every year. But in the end, my use cases require me to have the smaller phone. If the future models offer me more in the plus, then I'll deal with it but for now, the 7 is great.

anon(9419666)

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
The Plus model have two camera and have faster flash storage then the regular model. However, the performance differences is not very noticeable.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
The Plus model have two camera and have faster flash storage then the regular model. However, the performance differences is not very noticeable.

It doesn't have faster flash storage than regular model. The 128/256 have faster storage than the base model for both 7 and 7 plus

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
As others have said, it depends on your usage. I've had a 6 Plus, 6s Plus, 6s, and now a 7 Plus. When I had the 6s I could never get a full day battery, I had charge a number of times throughout the day. However I use my phone all the day for work and for myself. Since I watch a lot of YouTube and video, I prefer the larger screen, and the extra battery life is perfect. It all depends on how much you use your phone and what you use it for, also how important one handed usage is to you. Since I always use my phone two handed the Plus isn't any different for me.

6s battery was really meh for me even from the start. The 7 seems a little better but seems after a few months to tank hard.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Not really. As already stated the biggest thing is the camera. I suggest going to the Apple Store and take some time to compare them side by side. I think this may give you a better feel for which will best suit your needs.

DLieSaS

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, if you can handle the bulk of the Plus, go for the Plus – it's cumbersome at times, but a screen that big really helps you get more done on the phone…

Breuklen

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
6s battery was really meh for me even from the start. The 7 seems a little better but seems after a few months to tank hard.

I forgot about the battery life. A real plus for many, especially those that travel or don't have time to constantly recharge.