Is it really a worthy upgrade from the 6s Plus?

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I personally would not recommend the upgrade to most people. On paper, the 7 plus has a better camera and has a more powerful processor. But you won't see a dramatic difference with real world use. The 6s plus is a really good phone. My personal opinion is if you have to ask the question whether it is a worthy upgrade, then you will probably be disappointed if you do upgrade.

jimts

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
I don't think it is worthy. iPhone 6s Plus has big screen/battery and it remains 3.5mm headphone jack, these are big pros compared with iPhone 7.
And one of the most updating features OIS in iPhone 7 camera doesn't apple to iPhone 6s Plus users. Maybe the only cons for iPhone 6s Plus is that it doesn't have water resistant.

tanknitrous

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm trading in my 6S Plus today for the regular 7. I don't care. Tired of the size. Battery usage, I'll be fine. Not a power user at all. Just ready for more pocketability. Still trying to decide between the 6S and the 7. Might as well go 7 is my thought right now.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm trading in my 6S Plus today for the regular 7. I don't care. Tired of the size. Battery usage, I'll be fine. Not a power user at all. Just ready for more pocketability. Still trying to decide between the 6S and the 7. Might as well go 7 is my thought right now.

I would go for the 7.

tanknitrous

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I would go for the 7.

-Yes, I did. Right now, not a single regret. Amazing how much smaller and more portable the regular 7/6S feel like after being on the Plus for so long. Digging it. I don't know why people are making a fuss about the home button either. I think it's really neat, but that's just me.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
-Yes, I did. Right now, not a single regret. Amazing how much smaller and more portable the regular 7/6S feel like after being on the Plus for so long. Digging it. I don't know why people are making a fuss about the home button either. I think it's really neat, but that's just me.

The home button is actually a lot better. The experience is very much the same. It feels like I'm pressing a button. But because it isn't a button you don't have to worry about it malfunctioning. It's a win for me.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The 6s plus is the last great iPhone they killed me with no headphone jack making everyone pay extra for an adapter or pay 150 for some Bluetooth ear pods that look stupid but since notes are blowing up across the globe lol apple is winning even more

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I notice it's a lot brighter and even more clear but to me same phone with small upgrade but if you take videos and pics to great but the next iPhone with be better

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
So yesterday I tested out my iPhone 6S that I use for work versus the iPhone 7 that I have for personal use. I'm kind of upset and satisfied at the same time. I did a speed test with both of them. Performance was almost identical. In fact, there were a couple of occurrences where my iPhone 7 was a fraction of a second behind.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I think it's definitely worth the upgrade if you have to have the latest and greatest like me. I have to have the newest iPhone in my circle of iPhone wielding family members. Lol

If not and you have a 6S/6S Plus, stick with it and wait for the 8.

I totally agree with that advice. It?s not really needed but if you can afford it and love to have the latest tech out there, go for it :)

Cheers

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree with that advice. It?s not really needed but if you can afford it and love to have the latest tech out there, go for it :)

Cheers

THIS. Sometimes we just want the latest stuff regardless of what our better judgement tells us. If you want it and you can afford it, what's the harm in upgrading?

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So yesterday I tested out my iPhone 6S that I use for work versus the iPhone 7 that I have for personal use. I'm kind of upset and satisfied at the same time. I did a speed test with both of them. Performance was almost identical. In fact, there were a couple of occurrences where my iPhone 7 was a fraction of a second behind.

Another thing I noticed is the dim, yellow screen on the iPhone 7 Plus, compared to the iPhone 6 Plus. They said it was 25% brighter, but in many cases, I'm struggling to see the screen at all. The screen has actually turned out to be the worst part of the device, to me. If you try to keep it bright enough to see well all the time, you end up with iPhone 5S-like battery life. How can the colors be more accurate, when the entire screen is tinted yellow. It looks like an old AMOLED screen. It's horrible. The 6 Plus displays white on a webpage as white, almost flawlessly. Everything on the 7 Plus, is yellow tinted.

The screen is just so damn dim. The Auto-Brightness is extremely conservative, as well. I can shine a flashlight directly into the ambient light sensor, and it will still fail top out the brightness. I can't think of any "sunlight" that would cause the brightness to go any higher than what I can simulate in my office (two lightbulbs 3 inches from the screen + a flashlight beaming directly into the sensor). They seem to have a limiter in there, as well as an algorithm that forces the screen to stay as dim as possible to pad battery stats - even if it means you're searching for an angle to see the screen well, or taking off your sunshades because the screen refuses to go above 40% even on the sunniest of days...

The camera is basically not an upgrade from the 6S Plus. You get the Telephoto Lens, but the main camera is nothing but "somewhat brighter" in low light. This also brings with it the negative aspects of a wider aperture: Washed out daylight images (dull colors and overexposure), lens flares, halos, and light streaks in low light when a light source (street light) is directly in the frame... That, or the phone will try to control the light and the rest of the image will end up WORSE than an iPhone 6 Plus low light image. The 6 and 6S Plus did not have these issues. I had them both, and I still have the 6 Plus, so I can do side by side comparisons whenever I want.

Another thing I've noticed... Is that the image sizes on the 7 Plus aren't really much bigger than the 6 Plus. This means that Apple is applying higher JPEG compression on the 12MP devices than on the 8MP devices. This supports the reports people had when the 6S was released, where they noticed image quality dropping in some situations. In low light and mixed lighting, you can see the effects of the higher compression on the 6S and 7 Plus compared to the 6 Plus - and not in their favor.

I do like the new Home Button. I think it's great for usability.

However, I was on the road the other day and my iPhone completely froze up on me, for about 25+ minutes. Nothing I did could rectify it... I used to be able to hold down home and power and hard reset the device, but this doesn't seem to work anymore. My phone, was literally useless for half an hours... during the work day, because it froze up... While looking at the News app.

The camera supports RAW (DNG) Capture, but the DNGs are like 10MP, which means either it's not the greatest RAW Data, or they're using compression for the DNGs, which sort of flies in the face of using a RAW format to begin with. I'm going to veer towards the latter point, since it seems to be what they do with their JPEGs, as well. A comparable Android device spits out DNGs that are 50%+ larger than the iPhone's, at the same MP, and the RAW data (when loaded into Lightroom) seems to be of a higher quality. There are artifacts in the iPhone's DNGs that I simply cannot compensate for in post processing, particularly in mixed indoor and low light. These don't show up on other phones.

I struggle to think of any situation where anyone would be able to take better pictures using RAW on an iPhone, than they get out of a third party camera app shooting JPEGs. The amount of work to get anything that looks better, even by a tiny margin is too great to be worth it. It seems like a feature that was thrown in to check a box. The implementation seems rushed and extremely bad at this point in time.

I think they do this compression to not grief users who bought 16GB iPhones, but whose fault is it for selling such a device through 2016?

arc3484

May 25, 2016
Visit site
Another thing I noticed is the dim, yellow screen on the iPhone 7 Plus, compared to the iPhone 6 Plus. They said it was 25% brighter, but in many cases, I'm struggling to see the screen at all. The screen has actually turned out to be the worst part of the device, to me. If you try to keep it bright enough to see well all the time, you end up with iPhone 5S-like battery life. How can the colors be more accurate, when the entire screen is tinted yellow. It looks like an old AMOLED screen. It's horrible. The 6 Plus displays white on a webpage as white, almost flawlessly. Everything on the 7 Plus, is yellow tinted.

The screen is just so damn dim. The Auto-Brightness is extremely conservative, as well. I can shine a flashlight directly into the ambient light sensor, and it will still fail top out the brightness. I can't think of any "sunlight" that would cause the brightness to go any higher than what I can simulate in my office (two lightbulbs 3 inches from the screen + a flashlight beaming directly into the sensor). They seem to have a limiter in there, as well as an algorithm that forces the screen to stay as dim as possible to pad battery stats - even if it means you're searching for an angle to see the screen well, or taking off your sunshades because the screen refuses to go above 40% even on the sunniest of days...

The camera is basically not an upgrade from the 6S Plus. You get the Telephoto Lens, but the main camera is nothing but "somewhat brighter" in low light. This also brings with it the negative aspects of a wider aperture: Washed out daylight images (dull colors and overexposure), lens flares, halos, and light streaks in low light when a light source (street light) is directly in the frame... That, or the phone will try to control the light and the rest of the image will end up WORSE than an iPhone 6 Plus low light image. The 6 and 6S Plus did not have these issues. I had them both, and I still have the 6 Plus, so I can do side by side comparisons whenever I want.

Another thing I've noticed... Is that the image sizes on the 7 Plus aren't really much bigger than the 6 Plus. This means that Apple is applying higher JPEG compression on the 12MP devices than on the 8MP devices. This supports the reports people had when the 6S was released, where they noticed image quality dropping in some situations. In low light and mixed lighting, you can see the effects of the higher compression on the 6S and 7 Plus compared to the 6 Plus - and not in their favor.

I do like the new Home Button. I think it's great for usability.

However, I was on the road the other day and my iPhone completely froze up on me, for about 25+ minutes. Nothing I did could rectify it... I used to be able to hold down home and power and hard reset the device, but this doesn't seem to work anymore. My phone, was literally useless for half an hours... during the work day, because it froze up... While looking at the News app.

The camera supports RAW (DNG) Capture, but the DNGs are like 10MP, which means either it's not the greatest RAW Data, or they're using compression for the DNGs, which sort of flies in the face of using a RAW format to begin with. I'm going to veer towards the latter point, since it seems to be what they do with their JPEGs, as well. A comparable Android device spits out DNGs that are 50%+ larger than the iPhone's, at the same MP, and the RAW data (when loaded into Lightroom) seems to be of a higher quality. There are artifacts in the iPhone's DNGs that I simply cannot compensate for in post processing, particularly in mixed indoor and low light. These don't show up on other phones.

I struggle to think of any situation where anyone would be able to take better pictures using RAW on an iPhone, than they get out of a third party camera app shooting JPEGs. The amount of work to get anything that looks better, even by a tiny margin is too great to be worth it. It seems like a feature that was thrown in to check a box. The implementation seems rushed and extremely bad at this point in time.

I think they do this compression to not grief users who bought 16GB iPhones, but whose fault is it for selling such a device through 2016?

Now that's a Bad Apple! Apple seems to becoming what Steve Jobs used to defy. Competition will continue to get better with technology Advanced's and will embrace what Apple used to be. Premium class hardware with intuitive software.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
THIS. Sometimes we just want the latest stuff regardless of what our better judgement tells us. If you want it and you can afford it, what's the harm in upgrading?

Exactly. But dont do it just because you?ve got the upgrade bug biting you, think it through before doing it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
The 6s plus is the last great iPhone they killed me with no headphone jack making everyone pay extra for an adapter or pay 150 for some Bluetooth ear pods that look stupid but since notes are blowing up across the globe lol apple is winning even more

The adapter for the headphones is included in the box though.

clitrenta

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I had an iPhone 6s+ and went with the 7. I don't think it was that big of an upgrade but I did want to go back down to the smaller size. I have typically gone for the larger phones in the past (like the Note) but I was getting tired of just holding it and dealing with it. Guess things change with age. Anyway I thought the battery might bother me but the fact is, the way I use my phone, I have to charge it either way during the day. I get my money's worth out of it. :smile: Unless you just need the whole waterproof thing or maybe the cameras that the Plus gives you, you may not need to rush into this one. I also have the iPhone for Life plan so there's that too. Now the iPhone 8? I think that will be an epic iPhone as I think it may be an anniversary addition of sorts (10 years old)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2