So yesterday I tested out my iPhone 6S that I use for work versus the iPhone 7 that I have for personal use. I'm kind of upset and satisfied at the same time. I did a speed test with both of them. Performance was almost identical. In fact, there were a couple of occurrences where my iPhone 7 was a fraction of a second behind.
    11-19-2016 05:56 AM
    I think it's definitely worth the upgrade if you have to have the latest and greatest like me. I have to have the newest iPhone in my circle of iPhone wielding family members. Lol

If not and you have a 6S/6S Plus, stick with it and wait for the 8.
    I totally agree with that advice. Its not really needed but if you can afford it and love to have the latest tech out there, go for it

Cheers
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    11-19-2016 07:12 AM
    I totally agree with that advice. Its not really needed but if you can afford it and love to have the latest tech out there, go for it

Cheers
    THIS. Sometimes we just want the latest stuff regardless of what our better judgement tells us. If you want it and you can afford it, what's the harm in upgrading?
    aximtreo and badelhas like this.
    11-19-2016 07:14 AM
    So yesterday I tested out my iPhone 6S that I use for work versus the iPhone 7 that I have for personal use. I'm kind of upset and satisfied at the same time. I did a speed test with both of them. Performance was almost identical. In fact, there were a couple of occurrences where my iPhone 7 was a fraction of a second behind.
    Another thing I noticed is the dim, yellow screen on the iPhone 7 Plus, compared to the iPhone 6 Plus. They said it was 25% brighter, but in many cases, I'm struggling to see the screen at all. The screen has actually turned out to be the worst part of the device, to me. If you try to keep it bright enough to see well all the time, you end up with iPhone 5S-like battery life. How can the colors be more accurate, when the entire screen is tinted yellow. It looks like an old AMOLED screen. It's horrible. The 6 Plus displays white on a webpage as white, almost flawlessly. Everything on the 7 Plus, is yellow tinted.

The screen is just so damn dim. The Auto-Brightness is extremely conservative, as well. I can shine a flashlight directly into the ambient light sensor, and it will still fail top out the brightness. I can't think of any "sunlight" that would cause the brightness to go any higher than what I can simulate in my office (two lightbulbs 3 inches from the screen + a flashlight beaming directly into the sensor). They seem to have a limiter in there, as well as an algorithm that forces the screen to stay as dim as possible to pad battery stats - even if it means you're searching for an angle to see the screen well, or taking off your sunshades because the screen refuses to go above 40% even on the sunniest of days...

The camera is basically not an upgrade from the 6S Plus. You get the Telephoto Lens, but the main camera is nothing but "somewhat brighter" in low light. This also brings with it the negative aspects of a wider aperture: Washed out daylight images (dull colors and overexposure), lens flares, halos, and light streaks in low light when a light source (street light) is directly in the frame... That, or the phone will try to control the light and the rest of the image will end up WORSE than an iPhone 6 Plus low light image. The 6 and 6S Plus did not have these issues. I had them both, and I still have the 6 Plus, so I can do side by side comparisons whenever I want.

Another thing I've noticed... Is that the image sizes on the 7 Plus aren't really much bigger than the 6 Plus. This means that Apple is applying higher JPEG compression on the 12MP devices than on the 8MP devices. This supports the reports people had when the 6S was released, where they noticed image quality dropping in some situations. In low light and mixed lighting, you can see the effects of the higher compression on the 6S and 7 Plus compared to the 6 Plus - and not in their favor.

I do like the new Home Button. I think it's great for usability.

However, I was on the road the other day and my iPhone completely froze up on me, for about 25+ minutes. Nothing I did could rectify it... I used to be able to hold down home and power and hard reset the device, but this doesn't seem to work anymore. My phone, was literally useless for half an hours... during the work day, because it froze up... While looking at the News app.

The camera supports RAW (DNG) Capture, but the DNGs are like 10MP, which means either it's not the greatest RAW Data, or they're using compression for the DNGs, which sort of flies in the face of using a RAW format to begin with. I'm going to veer towards the latter point, since it seems to be what they do with their JPEGs, as well. A comparable Android device spits out DNGs that are 50%+ larger than the iPhone's, at the same MP, and the RAW data (when loaded into Lightroom) seems to be of a higher quality. There are artifacts in the iPhone's DNGs that I simply cannot compensate for in post processing, particularly in mixed indoor and low light. These don't show up on other phones.

I struggle to think of any situation where anyone would be able to take better pictures using RAW on an iPhone, than they get out of a third party camera app shooting JPEGs. The amount of work to get anything that looks better, even by a tiny margin is too great to be worth it. It seems like a feature that was thrown in to check a box. The implementation seems rushed and extremely bad at this point in time.

I think they do this compression to not grief users who bought 16GB iPhones, but whose fault is it for selling such a device through 2016?
    11-21-2016 09:51 PM
    Another thing I noticed is the dim, yellow screen on the iPhone 7 Plus, compared to the iPhone 6 Plus. They said it was 25% brighter, but in many cases, I'm struggling to see the screen at all. The screen has actually turned out to be the worst part of the device, to me. If you try to keep it bright enough to see well all the time, you end up with iPhone 5S-like battery life. How can the colors be more accurate, when the entire screen is tinted yellow. It looks like an old AMOLED screen. It's horrible. The 6 Plus displays white on a webpage as white, almost flawlessly. Everything on the 7 Plus, is yellow tinted.

The screen is just so damn dim. The Auto-Brightness is extremely conservative, as well. I can shine a flashlight directly into the ambient light sensor, and it will still fail top out the brightness. I can't think of any "sunlight" that would cause the brightness to go any higher than what I can simulate in my office (two lightbulbs 3 inches from the screen + a flashlight beaming directly into the sensor). They seem to have a limiter in there, as well as an algorithm that forces the screen to stay as dim as possible to pad battery stats - even if it means you're searching for an angle to see the screen well, or taking off your sunshades because the screen refuses to go above 40% even on the sunniest of days...

The camera is basically not an upgrade from the 6S Plus. You get the Telephoto Lens, but the main camera is nothing but "somewhat brighter" in low light. This also brings with it the negative aspects of a wider aperture: Washed out daylight images (dull colors and overexposure), lens flares, halos, and light streaks in low light when a light source (street light) is directly in the frame... That, or the phone will try to control the light and the rest of the image will end up WORSE than an iPhone 6 Plus low light image. The 6 and 6S Plus did not have these issues. I had them both, and I still have the 6 Plus, so I can do side by side comparisons whenever I want.

Another thing I've noticed... Is that the image sizes on the 7 Plus aren't really much bigger than the 6 Plus. This means that Apple is applying higher JPEG compression on the 12MP devices than on the 8MP devices. This supports the reports people had when the 6S was released, where they noticed image quality dropping in some situations. In low light and mixed lighting, you can see the effects of the higher compression on the 6S and 7 Plus compared to the 6 Plus - and not in their favor.

I do like the new Home Button. I think it's great for usability.

However, I was on the road the other day and my iPhone completely froze up on me, for about 25+ minutes. Nothing I did could rectify it... I used to be able to hold down home and power and hard reset the device, but this doesn't seem to work anymore. My phone, was literally useless for half an hours... during the work day, because it froze up... While looking at the News app.

The camera supports RAW (DNG) Capture, but the DNGs are like 10MP, which means either it's not the greatest RAW Data, or they're using compression for the DNGs, which sort of flies in the face of using a RAW format to begin with. I'm going to veer towards the latter point, since it seems to be what they do with their JPEGs, as well. A comparable Android device spits out DNGs that are 50%+ larger than the iPhone's, at the same MP, and the RAW data (when loaded into Lightroom) seems to be of a higher quality. There are artifacts in the iPhone's DNGs that I simply cannot compensate for in post processing, particularly in mixed indoor and low light. These don't show up on other phones.

I struggle to think of any situation where anyone would be able to take better pictures using RAW on an iPhone, than they get out of a third party camera app shooting JPEGs. The amount of work to get anything that looks better, even by a tiny margin is too great to be worth it. It seems like a feature that was thrown in to check a box. The implementation seems rushed and extremely bad at this point in time.

I think they do this compression to not grief users who bought 16GB iPhones, but whose fault is it for selling such a device through 2016?
    Now that's a Bad Apple! Apple seems to becoming what Steve Jobs used to defy. Competition will continue to get better with technology Advanced's and will embrace what Apple used to be. Premium class hardware with intuitive software.
    11-21-2016 10:12 PM
    THIS. Sometimes we just want the latest stuff regardless of what our better judgement tells us. If you want it and you can afford it, what's the harm in upgrading?
    Exactly. But dont do it just because youve got the upgrade bug biting you, think it through before doing it.
    11-22-2016 02:26 AM
    The camera features seem super cool and is the only benefit I see to upgrading. I personally would wait to the 7s.
    11-22-2016 09:26 AM
    The 6s plus is the last great iPhone they killed me with no headphone jack making everyone pay extra for an adapter or pay 150 for some Bluetooth ear pods that look stupid but since notes are blowing up across the globe lol apple is winning even more
    The adapter for the headphones is included in the box though.
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-23-2016 11:02 AM
    I had an iPhone 6s+ and went with the 7. I don't think it was that big of an upgrade but I did want to go back down to the smaller size. I have typically gone for the larger phones in the past (like the Note) but I was getting tired of just holding it and dealing with it. Guess things change with age. Anyway I thought the battery might bother me but the fact is, the way I use my phone, I have to charge it either way during the day. I get my money's worth out of it. Unless you just need the whole waterproof thing or maybe the cameras that the Plus gives you, you may not need to rush into this one. I also have the iPhone for Life plan so there's that too. Now the iPhone 8? I think that will be an epic iPhone as I think it may be an anniversary addition of sorts (10 years old)
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-23-2016 03:02 PM
    I think you should wait another year to check out Apple's 10th anniversary iPhone.
    11-24-2016 07:09 AM
    Fortunately, I'm in the position where I have an upgrade eligible line and Verizon has a today/online only promo going where I can trade my Turbo 2 in and get the 7 with 128GB for $3/month, and still keep my 6S Plus. I'll probably switch between them as my main phone while waiting till next year's release and see how I feel then.
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-24-2016 11:29 AM
    Fortunately, I'm in the position where I have an upgrade eligible line and Verizon has a today/online only promo going where I can trade my Turbo 2 in and get the 7 with 128GB for $3/month, and still keep my 6S Plus. I'll probably switch between them as my main phone while waiting till next year's release and see how I feel then.
    Thats what I would do also if I was in your position

Cheers
    11-24-2016 01:48 PM
    Question now becomes is it worth it to upgrade to iPhone 7 from 6s plus on Verizon due to their Black Fri. deal of iPhone 7 for $0. ?
    11-25-2016 12:30 PM
    Question now becomes is it worth it to upgrade to iPhone 7 from 6s plus on Verizon due to their Black Fri. deal of iPhone 7 for $0. ?
    If it's free, of course. If not, I would wait.

Cheers
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-25-2016 05:33 PM
    I say yes the 7+ is worth the upgrade. Simply b/c of the new home button and the camera.
    11-26-2016 09:16 AM
    If it's free, of course. If not, I would wait.

Cheers
    I upgraded a couple days ago to the 7. Traded in my 6s Plus and it's going to save me $30/month in device payment alone. Well worth it to me. I miss a couple features about the 6s Plus but so much more comfortable in my hand to use a 7. The 7 also seems speedier to me.
    Closingracer and SprSynJn like this.
    12-22-2016 02:52 AM
    For me since I had a 6 plus I find the increase of ram among other things like the camera makes it worth it but if I came from a 6s I would say no
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-26-2016 11:04 AM
    I have had the 7 since release...came from a 6s Plus. Sorry to say that I wish that I would have kept the 6s Plus. The 7 is a great phone, but not a huge improvement. Since I'm on the Apple Upgrade program I went ahead and did it.

If I had my druthers, I would have kept, and paid off, the 6s Plus.
    Snappy Phoenix and aximtreo like this.
    12-26-2016 05:19 PM
    I have had the 7 since release...came from a 6s Plus. Sorry to say that I wish that I would have kept the 6s Plus. The 7 is a great phone, but not a huge improvement. Since I'm on the Apple Upgrade program I went ahead and did it.

If I had my druthers, I would have kept, and paid off, the 6s Plus.
    thank j00 for your honesty
    12-26-2016 05:58 PM
    I say yes the 7+ is worth the upgrade. Simply b/c of the new home button and the camera.
    I hate the new home button! I keep activating Siri accidentally when pressing it
    12-26-2016 05:59 PM
    I hate the new home button! I keep activating Siri accidentally when pressing it
    I love the button. Haven't had that issue that you're having w/ Siri though. I would like to see the new home button in the next gen iPads.
    12-26-2016 06:07 PM
    I love the button. Haven't had that issue that you're having w/ Siri though. I would like to see the new home button in the next gen iPads.
    hmmm, maybe I'm pressing it too long then
    12-26-2016 06:09 PM
    Might be
    Snappy Phoenix likes this.
    12-26-2016 06:11 PM
    Probably are, just a quick push is all that is needed. I had the same, annoying issue triggering Siri until I figured out the correct pressure.
    Snappy Phoenix and aximtreo like this.
    12-26-2016 07:48 PM
    I went from a 6 Plus to a 7, and I enjoy the portability I've gained. One handed use for the win!
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    12-28-2016 07:27 PM
82 1234