I'm returning my iPhone 7 tomorrow

adamjackson

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
I bought myself an iPhone 7 as a birthday present last week and it's battery life has been absolute rubbish. I know others have been reporting similar problems and I've read the iPhone 7 battery life thread, but mine seems to be worse than most - I am needing to charge it twice a day or keep it in low power mode to keep it going, and a few nights ago it went from 50-0% overnight while I was asleep (and made me miss my alarm).

So I took it to the Apple Store today and asked them to check it. The Genius I had ran the usual diagnostics and showed me the battery itself is fine. He then checked some other things and noticed I have recharged is 21 times in the past 9 days, which backs up what I said about needing to charge it twice a day. He even acknowledged that was strange. But he refused to replace it. Apparently although he can see it looks like I am needing to charge my battery fairly often, he sees nothing wrong with the battery or hardware itself and therefore there is no reason to replace it. He also mentioned he thinks it is a software problem and should be fixed with a software update.

I explained that I was aware of other users reporting the same thing and the general consensus seems to be a software issue, but that my situation seemed to be worse than what I've read anybody else experiencing, and I shouldn't be expected to keep my iPhone plugged in to stop it from reaching 0% until Apple release a software fix (if indeed that is the problem, and who knows when the update will be released). He told me there was nothing he could do and suggested I try resetting the phone and setting it up as new instead of restoring from a backup - an option I'm not interested in because I don't want to lose any of my data.

So I guess that's it - I'll be returning it tomorrow and going back to my 6. Overall it has been a sh***y experience made worse by a sh***y support response. I'm very disappointed.
Tags:
top ringtone download free, nhac chuong nokia, top instrumental ringtones download

Last edited:

Jeroen7

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience.

Once misunderstanding though, if you sync all your contacts etc in icloud, then you won't loose that data if you setup as a new phone.
The only thing you need to watch out for is data stored in apps that don't sync to the cloud, like pdf apps orso. Dropbox and other cloud apps will be fine.
It might be an option to try a full restore to a new phone (you still have your backup on your pc anyway) and see if that solves the battery drain problem.
You can always revert back to your previous backup if you miss too much data.
And if you still have your 6, use that as a 'back up' device in that period in case you need something that is not on your 7 anymore.

it might just be an app you are using that is not working too well with the iPhone 7 and drains too much energy.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If you just bought your iPhone last week you're still within the return period. They should have replaced your iPhone without issue. Within 14 days you can basically return and replace an iPhone for any reason in the world as long as it isn't physically damaged. Something isn't adding up for me. Perhaps the Genius you saw at the store was just a clown.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If the problem is in your back up, then you will carry that problem with you to other devices. Restoring as new works. If you upload your photos somewhere safe like to your computer or to a cloud based app like Dropbox, you won't lose those. The only data you might lose is some game progress. You still retain Notes, Calendar, Contacts, reminders, Keychain and etc. So what are you afraid you will lose?
And remember the big 3 battery users are screen brightness, push notifications, and location services. Make sure they are all set as desired. Also an app can cause the drain.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Just a thought... did you check your battery usage? You can what's using your battery. Either way, good luck!

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
So I guess that's it - I'll be returning it tomorrow and going back to my 6. Overall it has been a sh***y experience made worse by a sh***y support response. I'm very disappointed.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience. That seems atypical. However, in the future, using obscenities certainly doesn't further your case.

Good luck with whichever device you end up with.

Alain_A

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry that you had a bad experience. That seems atypical. However, in the future, using obscenities certainly doesn't further your case.

Good luck with whichever device you end up with.

It depends "obscenities" relieve some pressure one could have.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't mind an obscenity here and there on a forum. Especially when it comes out of frustration. What I do not like at all are when obscenities/insults are directed at other members out of nowhere.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I bought myself an iPhone 7 as a birthday present last week and it's battery life has been absolute rubbish. I know others have been reporting similar problems and I've read the iPhone 7 battery life thread, but mine seems to be worse than most - I am needing to charge it twice a day or keep it in low power mode to keep it going, and a few nights ago it went from 50-0% overnight while I was asleep (and made me miss my alarm).

So I took it to the Apple Store today and asked them to check it. The Genius I had ran the usual diagnostics and showed me the battery itself is fine. He then checked some other things and noticed I have recharged is 21 times in the past 9 days, which backs up what I said about needing to charge it twice a day. He even acknowledged that was strange. But he refused to replace it. Apparently although he can see it looks like I am needing to charge my battery fairly often, he sees nothing wrong with the battery or hardware itself and therefore there is no reason to replace it. He also mentioned he thinks it is a software problem and should be fixed with a software update.

I explained that I was aware of other users reporting the same thing and the general consensus seems to be a software issue, but that my situation seemed to be worse than what I've read anybody else experiencing, and I shouldn't be expected to keep my iPhone plugged in to stop it from reaching 0% until Apple release a software fix (if indeed that is the problem, and who knows when the update will be released). He told me there was nothing he could do and suggested I try resetting the phone and setting it up as new instead of restoring from a backup - an option I'm not interested in because I don't want to lose any of my data.

Tags:
top ringtone download free, nhac chuong nokia, top instrumental ringtones download
That's a pity. But all considered, why don't you try something completely different, like the HTC 10?

Cheers

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
On top of what others have said, do you use Facebook and use the official Facebook app? If you do, force close it every time you're done using it. I do agree that you should see if it's a app/service that's draining your battery. My coworker just bought an iPhone 7 as well and leaves it in airplane mode at work most days right now because it's constantly trying to download his apps and his 80GB's of music downloaded through Apple Music. Once everything is downloaded his battery life should be the same again.

BrayBreBai

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
I don't think he was directing those obscenities at anyone in the forum but the support maybe from his phone company or Apple itself

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hmm... Sounds strange, to say the least. One of my best friends just got the iPhone 7 as a belated birthday gift and hasn't complained about it at all. She hasn't mentioned having to charge more often than she did her last phone (not an iPhone, but still).

Also, maybe it's just the writer/copy editor in me, but does anyone else find it strange that the OP has tags at the bottom of his/her post?? Who does that unless they're writing an article?!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Come on dude. Take a little, give a little. I understand you don't want to lose your data but it has been shown that restoring from a backup can potentially have less than desirable consequences. That doesn't excuse anything but if you're not at least willing to try that, then you can't be mad at Apple. It's a troubleshooting step that allows them to verify if the issue is hardware related or not. It's very possible that your issue would persist on the new device after you restore your backup. This helps them determine if that's likely or not.

I agree...charging twice a day is a bit much depending on your usage. And it shouldn't go from 50% to 0% overnight without you touching it. It definitely sounds like a software issue. An app may be pulling way more power than needed. You won't know this for sure unless you're willing to start fresh though.

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I would try to wipe the phone and try to use it for a couple hours without backup or new apps, only then you will know if it's hardware.

I'm a new iPhone user and was very afraid of poor battery life, but wow I have the 7 and most of the time I only have to charge every 2 days.

Last edited:

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
My battery life experience with my 7 is very good, and I restored a backup, via iTunes , on it.... it surely lasts more than my previous 6S, that was fine, and I can reach the end of a day with more than 30% charge available. That's more than enough.

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
"So I guess that's it - I'll be returning it tomorrow and going back to my 6. Overall it has been a sh***y experience made worse by a sh***y support response. I'm very disappointed."

Completely agree, after spending that much money I would be pissed with bad service. They should take responsibility when there is an observable fault!

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
"So I guess that's it - I'll be returning it tomorrow and going back to my 6. Overall it has been a sh***y experience made worse by a sh***y support response. I'm very disappointed."

Completely agree, after spending that much money I would be pissed with bad service. They should take responsibility when there is an observable fault!
That's a shame. But I guess it can happen to anyone of us.

Cheers

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh