Buying a iPhone 7 from Apple

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
If I go to the Apple store will they sell me a unlocked version that will work on Tmobile and AT&T for 100% cash up front and let me leave the store without setting up the phone? It would be a christmas present for my wife and all I would want to do is move her current sim card over and let her roll with it

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
If you pay retail, it's unlocked. The Verizon version can be used on CDMA or GSM networks. The Att or Tmo version can be used on any GSM network.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Well thats good info. I never knew a unlocked Verizon phone would work on all networks. Does it have a place for a sim to be put in it? How about the radio bands are they the same? Sorry for the questions but I know nothing about a Verizon phone. Is this true for any iPhone model or for that matter any other model of cell phone. Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well thats good info. I never knew a unlocked Verizon phone would work on all networks. Does it have a place for a sim to be put in it? How about the radio bands are they the same? Sorry for the questions but I know nothing about a Verizon phone. Is this true for any iPhone model or for that matter any other model of cell phone. Thanks

Yes, it has a sim slot. Simply switch out the SIM card and go about your business.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

Yes. I am using the Verizon model with AT&T. Works just fine. It's not true for some of the older models. It different for event he 6S. for the 6S, the AT&T model is the best version to get, if I remember correctly. I'd have to look it up.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I am using the Verizon model with AT&T. Works just fine. It's not true for some of the older models. It different for event he 6S. for the 6S, the AT&T model is the best version to get, if I remember correctly. I'd have to look it up.

My current iPhone 7 and my previous iPhone 6S Plus were both Verizon models that I've used and still use on AT&T's network. Works like a charm...:)

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
My current iPhone 7 and my previous iPhone 6S Plus were both Verizon models that I've used and still use on AT&T's network. Works like a charm...:)

I remember now why the ATT model was best unlocked model for the 6s -- it had band 30, which the other models didn't have.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
If I go to the Apple store will they sell me a unlocked version that will work on Tmobile and AT&T for 100% cash up front and let me leave the store without setting up the phone? It would be a christmas present for my wife and all I would want to do is move her current sim card over and let her roll with it

Yes, you can buy outright and leave without setup. This is common... no big deal.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...mUvbUpU2832788%26subId2%3Dvbim&token=EFMzUB4I

Not sure how many have looked at this tech spec site on apple but it looks like the phones are just alike with the exception of the at&t model not working on the USA verizon and sprint system. Different type of CDMA I guess. Other than that all the freqs and LTE bands seem to be the same. Anything to do other than insert a at&t sim card in? I mean I had a older Tmobile unlocked phone one time and I had to jump through hoops to get data and texting to work. Like change the APN settings and something that I forget now.

By the way thanks to everybody for the advice.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Whats confusing for me is this from [URL="https://forums.imore.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fapple.sjv.io%2Fc%2F221109%2F473657%2F7613%3FsubId1%3DUUimUvbUpU2833123%26subId2%3Dvbim%26u%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.apple.com%252Fiphone%252F%26ourl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.apple.com%252Fshop%252Fbuy-iphone%252Fiphone-7%253Fafid%253Dp239%25257C159229%2526cid%253Daos-us-aff-ir%2526subId1%253DUUimUvbUpU2833123%2526subId2%253Dvbim%2522&token=PtN-fXM8]Apple[/URL]:

Sprint, Verizon Wireless, and SIM-free

If Sprint or Verizon Wireless is your wireless carrier, your iPhone will work on AT&T and T-Mobile once activated. The SIM-free iPhone will work with any carrier. An iPhone activated on Sprint or Verizon Wireless, and the SIM-free iPhone, also have the ability to roam internationally on GSM networks.

It reads as though it has to be activated on Sprint and/or Verizon BEFORE it will work on AT&T and/or Tmo... how do you do that if you do not have a Sprint or Verizon account?

It's early and I'm just now drinking coffee so I might be reading this wrong lol

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Whats confusing for me is this from [URL="https://forums.imore.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fapple.sjv.io%2Fc%2F221109%2F473657%2F7613%3FsubId1%3DUUimUvbUpU2833693%26subId2%3Dvbim%26u%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.apple.com%252Fiphone%252F%26ourl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.apple.com%252Fshop%252Fbuy-iphone%252Fiphone-7%253Fafid%253Dp239%25257C159229%2526cid%253Daos-us-aff-ir%2526subId1%253DUUimUvbUpU2833693%2526subId2%253Dvbim%2522&token=UrxK97ct]Apple[/URL]:

Sprint, Verizon Wireless, and SIM-free

If Sprint or Verizon Wireless is your wireless carrier, your iPhone will work on AT&T and T-Mobile once activated. The SIM-free iPhone will work with any carrier. An iPhone activated on Sprint or Verizon Wireless, and the SIM-free iPhone, also have the ability to roam internationally on GSM networks.

It reads as though it has to be activated on Sprint and/or Verizon BEFORE it will work on AT&T and/or Tmo... how do you do that if you do not have a Sprint or Verizon account?

It's early and I'm just now drinking coffee so I might be reading this wrong lol

If you purchase a sprint or Verizon device at full price and pay in full, it will activate on any network. You won't need to activate on the original network first. I bought a Verizon 7 and am using with my ATT sim. Never activated it with a Verizon account first.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
If you purchase a sprint or Verizon device at full price and pay in full, it will activate on any network. You won't need to activate on the original network first. I bought a Verizon 7 and am using with my ATT sim. Never activated it with a Verizon account first.

What does sim-free mean? Does it mean that it can be used without a sim card on verizon and sprint networks or a sim card can be inserted to use on at&t/tmobile or does it mean there is not even a sim slot for a sim card to be used? In the case of the later would one need to buy the Verizon model? Lastly are terms Verizon model and sim-free interchangable.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
What does sim-free mean? Does it mean that it can be used without a sim card on verizon and sprint networks or a sim card can be inserted to use on at&t/tmobile or does it mean there is not even a sim slot for a sim card to be used? In the case of the later would one need to buy the Verizon model? Lastly are terms Verizon model and sim-free interchangable.

Means it is sold without a SIM. Still needs SIM to function.

When sold with SIM, the SIM is branded (not necessarily locked) to the network. unlocked Verizon phone will have Verizon SIM and will activate on Verizon when activated with included SIM. SIM-free phone will not have any SIM- you will need to insert a SIM for phone to work.

You insert and use SIM for any network you choose.

anon(427874)

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I just purchased the SIM-free version of the iPhone 7. T-Mobile is my carrier. 24-hours in and I have no issues with this version of the device. Now I'm now wondering why would one purchase the T-Mobile or ATT branded versions and be limited to just GSM networks? Is it financing, because you have to purchase the SIM-free devices at full price. What am I missing? I still have 13-days to change.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased the SIM-free version of the iPhone 7. T-Mobile is my carrier. 24-hours in and I have no issues with this version of the device. Now I'm now wondering why would one purchase the T-Mobile or ATT branded versions and be limited to just GSM networks? Is it financing, because you have to purchase the SIM-free devices at full price. What am I missing? I still have 13-days to change.

For those of us who wanted a phone before the SIM / FREE unlocked phones were available, we had to buy locked to a carrier.

For those of us who have a plan like AT&T Next and want to change our phones out next year when the 10-Year phone comes out (or at least the choice to do that)... we got it locked to the carrier.

For those of us that wanted to "Pay Off" the phone and not lay out $850 cash, we got it through Apple or the Carrier.

Just a few reasons.

anon(427874)

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
For those of us who wanted a phone before the SIM / FREE unlocked phones were available, we had to buy locked to a carrier.

For those of us who have a plan like AT&T Next and want to change our phones out next year when the 10-Year phone comes out (or at least the choice to do that)... we got it locked to the carrier.

For those of us that wanted to "Pay Off" the phone and not lay out $850 cash, we got it through Apple or the Carrier.

Just a few reasons.

Thank you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods