Small Hands: iPhone 7 or 7 Plus?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I've been wondering for some time.

I'm not a big guy. 5'10" or 5'11". My hands aren't extremely big. However, I've been using 'plus' iPhones since they came out.

Recently, I had the opportunity to use a regular (iPhone size) phone for some time, and I got to thinking 'I really like this. I wonder if I should buy the iPhone 7 instead of the plus?'

What are your thoughts? I LOVE the size of the screen, but it's true, I do have troubles handling the device at times. I also dig the camera and battery life of the plus. I'd hate to give those things up.

Thoughts?

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Having used the regular 6 and now 7 plus, the benefit you gain via smaller phone is rather small. For me the ups of the bigger phone weights more than having the smaller one.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
My first iPhone was the 6plus. I loved it but decided to go with a 6s when they came out. I am glad I switched and have never looked back. I didn't even think about the 7plus even though the camera and battery life are excellent. My 6s was great and now my 7 is the best phone I have ever owned hands down. It fits in my pockets better. It fits everywhere better. The battery life is sufficient as I own a couple of battery packs anyway. I have a decent sized hand and still had a little trouble with the one hand operation of the 6plus. The iPhone 7is perfect. Now if they could squeeze out a bigger screen on this size handset I would be thrilled. Other than that i love the size of the 7. Good luck with your decision.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I've got a 6s... and when before I purchased it, I seriously considered the 6s plus. I'm only 5 ft tall and have small hands, and it seemed "to me" that the plus was just too much for me. The other deal breaker was that I carry my phone most of the time in a pocket and the plus just was too big. I do, however, covet the better camera and battery life. It's all a trade off. I wish you luck in making your choice!

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
All great advice, thanks guys!!

You didn't miss the larger screen or insane battery life?

I sometimes miss the battery life , but only here and there. Overall the battery life of the 6s was just fine. I usually get through the day unless I have a poor signal, I am in a different location almost everyday for work. I would like a larger screen but for me the plus was a little inconvenient in my day to day life. I have gotten used to the 4.7 screen size over this last year and love my 7.

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
After going from the 6s Plus to the 7 I have to say that I don't miss the larger screen size. It's difficult to compare the battery because they are obviously different between the two. If I am not playing any games, I have no problem getting through an entire day on the 7 without topping it off. If I have the time and play a few games, I will still be at about 15-20% at the end of the day if I don't charge it. I normally have power available either in my office or external battery so I have not had any issues yet.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have been using a 6s now since I had to send my Note 7 back. I've had the 6 plus and 6S plus before that so I am no stranger to big phones. I really like having that big display but while I am a desk jockey most of the day, I am very active outside the office. I have thoroughly enjoyed the size of the 6s. So much so that I have struggled to use my replacement Note 7 outside of the office setting.

I will be passing the 6S on to my son and I am deciding between the 7 and 7 Plus right now myself. I never thought I would return to a smaller phone, but here I am.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Here's what I've been wondering for some time.

I'm not a big guy. 5'10" or 5'11". My hands aren't extremely big. However, I've been using 'plus' iPhones since they came out.

Recently, I had the opportunity to use a regular (iPhone size) phone for some time, and I got to thinking 'I really like this. I wonder if I should buy the iPhone 7 instead of the plus?'

What are your thoughts? I LOVE the size of the screen, but it's true, I do have troubles handling the device at times. I also dig the camera and battery life of the plus. I'd hate to give those things up.

Thoughts?
I think hands have nothing to do with the choice. Small hands, technically, aren't good even for the 4.7" model. There are occasions when you'll need to reach a corner that is out of your reach anyway (double tap on the home button works very well).
The choice is about CARRY the iPhone with you. Are you ok with the Plus in terms of portability ? In my case, I'm not, especially during summer, when I'm out and about wearing just jeans or shorts

Truman82

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
As i don't own tablet, the bigger phone works as my daily media consumption device. For this the bigger screen and battery works like charm. But if you don't own the phone for media uses, then the regular 7 would work better for you.

Sonny37

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi James

I've had every iPhone from release. When the plus model was made I had to have it. I quickly got used to the size and started to enjoy the extra battery life and camera.
2 years later and I had moved on to the 6s plus. The size on a every day to day basis for me started to bother me.
As soon as the 7 and 7 plus was released I opted for the 7.
To be completely honest it feels really great to have a smaller iPhone. Day to day you hardly notice it's there.
If I felt that the 7 was not the right choice I'd of ordered the 7 plus.
But as I'm loving the smaller iPhone I don't think that will happen!

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Hand size does matter but you'd get used to it -- or quickly realize it's way too big for you. For me, it's about willingness to tote a phablet around everywhere you go. I had the 6 and the 6 plus a few years ago and I knew that as soon as winter/spring were over and I stopped wearing a jacket around, I would hate the plus bc it doesn't fit into my tiny lady pants pockets. And sure enough, I sold that plus as soon as it was shorts season bc I couldnt' stand to hold that thing in my hand all day long.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
@sonny @eyecrispy - thanks for the feedback. So odd, now that I've tried the smaller sized phone again, am leaning towards the iPhone 7. Like you said eyecrispy, will at least make it easier to get the phone into pant pockets!

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I think most phone cameras are pretty good these days so I'll eliminate that one from the discussion. For me, having moved from 6S Plus to 7, the battery comes to usage pattern.

I charge at night, over night. I know that on work days, i unplug then plug into my car stereo on my 30 min commute. I use my phone from about 5:15AM until I get off at around 2:00PM. I know that I can plug in on my commute home (don't really need to as I'll typically be at around 45-50% or better) and easily get through the evening with charge to spare.

Another benefit with regard to battery is the battery itself. Being smaller, you get more juice in and get closer to full faster!

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I think most phone cameras are pretty good these days so I'll eliminate that one from the discussion. For me, having moved from 6S Plus to 7, the battery comes to usage pattern.

I charge at night, over night. I know that on work days, i unplug then plug into my car stereo on my 30 min commute. I use my phone from about 5:15AM until I get off at around 2:00PM. I know that I can plug in on my commute home (don't really need to as I'll typically be at around 45-50% or better) and easily get through the evening with charge to spare.

Another benefit with regard to battery is the battery itself. Being smaller, you get more juice in and get closer to full faster!

Same here. The 7 (and 6/6S/SE previously) can last me all day on one charge during work days. I easily end the day between 20-50% battery. On weekends, when I have more time to play on the phone, I may (but not always) need to juice up if I know I'm gonna be out late or be out for an extended period of time. It's totally manageable. And to be honest, when I had the 6+, I did not feel that my battery was THAT much better.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Right, I'm 5' 7" with pretty small hands. I never hesitated getting the Plus when it came out, upgraded to the second Plus, then switched to the regular size. Regular size is a lot more comfortable in the hand, however the better camera, bigger screen, better battery life, and all the other benefits of the Plus, put me right back on the Plus again.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
The camera is the only thing that would make me consider the plus ..... but it didn't sway me this time around.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods