Which case are you using on your iPhone 7?

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Just ordered the Apple iPhone 7 Blue Leather case. Never owned the Apple leather case before. Just hope it doesn't make phone too wide in hand. Using clear shield for back and glass screen protector on the front. Afraid of a possible drop so that's why I ordered Apple case.

I've used the Apple leather case since the 6. Love it. It's low profile and looks great.

zestypepper

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
ac065483253907d2d1657fcdb99e4213.png

Silk iPhone 7 Plus Grip Case

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I received the xDoria Defense Edge Bumper case for my 7 yesterday so here's a review of it. I wanted to try the bumper to show off the back of the black phone as opposed to having it covered by a case (clear or otherwise).

Much like the bumper for the Apple watch, it is made of machined aluminum and is minimal as far as adding any size to the phone. It is lined with a rubber material to lessen any impact if the phone is dropped. As far as the front and back of the phone, it protrudes above the screen and the back of the phone just enough to keep either side from touching whatever surface you set it on. On the back, they have added an additional piece of rubber in the upper left hand corner of the case near the camera. This is due to the fact that the camera actually sticks out farther than the case itself. Adding this piece keeps the camera from touching when you set it down, put it also means that the phone doesn't sit level when place on its back.

The case is not hinged, but goes on and off easily enough. I found that putting it on from the front and taking it off from the back worked the best. The machined aluminum is actually three pieces connected by the rubber material the case is lined with. There is a piece that covers the top edge/corners and a piece on each side covering the edge and bottom corners. The aluminum stops short of the lightning port and that area of the case is just the rubber material (probably why they were able to make it without a hinge).

Volume up/down and the sleep/off button all work well in the case. These are accented in silver which matches the accent around the front and back (see the next paragraph). The grills on the bottom of the phone are unobstructed as well as the opening for the lightning port. No problems charging with the lightning cable. The opening for the mute switch is, unfortunately, either not large enough or not centered properly. I can easily switch the phone to mute, but it takes some effort to get my fingernail into the opening to switch the sound back on. There are two holes in the top of the case near the camera that I have no idea what their purpose is.

As far as the look and feel of the case I like it. I also have the Apple gray leather case, which I like, but this is a completely different animal. Although they call it space gray, it is closer in color of the Apple watch than to the matte black on the 7. The silver accent they put around the edge is enough of a break between the two to make it less noticeable and I think it looks good. I have to say that the phone is slippery since it is almost like having no case at all. With the 7, this is the first iPhone I have purchased through the IUP and had AppleCare on. It is only for that reason that I decided to go with the bumper (if things go really wrong I can always get a replacement, right?).

Overall it is taking a little time to get used to since it is so minimal. I'm sure I'll revert back to the leather case when I know I'm going to be doing things where I want extra protection on the phone. As of now, I like both the look and feel of it.

IMG_0005.JPGIMG_0006.JPGIMG_0007.JPGIMG_0008.JPG

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I received the xDoria Defense Edge Bumper case for my 7 yesterday so here's a review of it. I wanted to try the bumper to show off the back of the black phone as opposed to having it covered by a case (clear or otherwise).

Much like the bumper for the Apple watch, it is made of machined aluminum and is minimal as far as adding any size to the phone. It is lined with a rubber material to lessen any impact if the phone is dropped. As far as the front and back of the phone, it protrudes above the screen and the back of the phone just enough to keep either side from touching whatever surface you set it on. On the back, they have added an additional piece of rubber in the upper left hand corner of the case near the camera. This is due to the fact that the camera actually sticks out farther than the case itself. Adding this piece keeps the camera from touching when you set it down, put it also means that the phone doesn't sit level when place on its back.

The case is not hinged, but goes on and off easily enough. I found that putting it on from the front and taking it off from the back worked the best. The machined aluminum is actually three pieces connected by the rubber material the case is lined with. There is a piece that covers the top edge/corners and a piece on each side covering the edge and bottom corners. The aluminum stops short of the lightning port and that area of the case is just the rubber material (probably why they were able to make it without a hinge).

Volume up/down and the sleep/off button all work well in the case. These are accented in silver which matches the accent around the front and back (see the next paragraph). The grills on the bottom of the phone are unobstructed as well as the opening for the lightning port. No problems charging with the lightning cable. The opening for the mute switch is, unfortunately, either not large enough or not centered properly. I can easily switch the phone to mute, but it takes some effort to get my fingernail into the opening to switch the sound back on. There are two holes in the top of the case near the camera that I have no idea what their purpose is.

As far as the look and feel of the case I like it. I also have the Apple gray leather case, which I like, but this is a completely different animal. Although they call it space gray, it is closer in color of the Apple watch than to the matte black on the 7. The silver accent they put around the edge is enough of a break between the two to make it less noticeable and I think it looks good. I have to say that the phone is slippery since it is almost like having no case at all. With the 7, this is the first iPhone I have purchased through the IUP and had AppleCare on. It is only for that reason that I decided to go with the bumper (if things go really wrong I can always get a replacement, right?).

Overall it is taking a little time to get used to since it is so minimal. I'm sure I'll revert back to the leather case when I know I'm going to be doing things where I want extra protection on the phone. As of now, I like both the look and feel of it.

That bumper looks killer!!

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes it does because there is nothing there. :) xDoria does sell a case with a clear back, but this is the bumper so nothing but the back of the phone.

I don't see one for the iPhone 7 yet (on their site) only the 6 / 6+ -- am I missing something?

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't see one for the iPhone 7 yet (on their site) only the 6 / 6+ -- am I missing something?

It's there with all their other iPhone 7 cases - Defense Edge $29.99. Unless you were talking about the one with the clear back, which I think is a completely clear case.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have been using the Apple OEM leather case since the iPhone 4 and just bought the brown one for my gold iPhone 7. Looks and feels great on the phone.

StlVols

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I've been using the Tech 21 evomesh case in black for my matte black 7. However I also just ordered the Ringke Max so I have options. We'll see how that goes

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
What is it about kids dropping their phones all the time?! My daughter can literally be standing there talking to you and her phone just falls out of her hands onto the concrete garage floor.

Lol. I know. At least my girl realizes that it's an issue. I offered her one of our iPhone 6's after we upgrade and she turned it down because it was bigger than her 5s and doesn't want to risk breaking it. She likes the size of the 5s with the case on it. Fine by me. I will upgrade her to the SE at some point when her 5s starts to slow down.

clouds0222

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Anyone using the new Otterbox Commuter cases for the regular iPhone 7 yet? I had one for my 6s and it didn't fit the phone right...the silicone sleeve and the outer hard shell didn't completely line up at the top of the phone, there was a noticeable gap. Hopefully these cases for the 7 fit better....

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Still using the iPhone 7 Black Leather from Apple. They just sent me a 2nd one, so either I sell it or will keep it as a back up if anything happens to my current case. I still like the feel of the apple leather case. Gives it a more elegant touch.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Still using the iPhone 7 Black Leather from Apple. They just sent me a 2nd one, so either I sell it or will keep it as a back up if anything happens to my current case. I still like the feel of the apple leather case. Gives it a more elegant touch.

Yea I can't seem to stay away from the Apple leather cases. They're slim and look really nice.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
So I picked my daughter up from college for the weekend. Her phone face is shattered. Case and all. I'm broke so can't fix it or use my Inusrance. Ugh

rudyalexc

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Anyone using the new Otterbox Commuter cases for the regular iPhone 7 yet? I had one for my 6s and it didn't fit the phone right...the silicone sleeve and the outer hard shell didn't completely line up at the top of the phone, there was a noticeable gap. Hopefully these cases for the 7 fit better....

I cannot speak for the normal iPhone 7 but for the 7 Plus it is above and beyond any expectations I had coming from my old iPhone 6s Commuter which, as you described, was very lackluster.

This new case has super good fitment and it is very solidly built.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I've used the Apple leather case since the 6. Love it. It's low profile and looks great.

You're Right, Just received my leather case in dark blue. Honestly the best case I've had for my iPhone. It's not thick, it's very light, won't scratch the phone and just feels great in the hand and looks fantastic!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal