Question on charging !

nehavas

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Was wondering whether the iPads and iPhones ,should they be charged once almost all charge is discharged or anytime would be fine .I don't normally wait for it to get below 30 except in rare occasions .Does this make a difference .

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't make any difference. Just charge whenever convenient for you.

Just remember to let it get below 5% every 2-3 months before fully charging to 100%.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Was wondering whether the iPads and iPhones ,should they be charged once almost all charge is discharged or anytime would be fine .I don't normally wait for it to get below 30 except in rare occasions .Does this make a difference .

Lithium batteries prefer to be charged between 40 and 80%, they will last longer that way. However, to calibrate the battery we should let it go to 0%, charge it to 100 and do the same thing again. this should be done from time to time only, like every couple of months, not more.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Lithium batteries prefer to be charged between 40 and 80%, they will last longer that way. However, to calibrate the battery we should let it go to 0%, charge it to 100 and do the same thing again. this should be done from time to time only, like every couple of months, not more.

You do not need to "optimize" your battery at all. Lithium-Ion batteries do not require the refresh cycles of Ni-Cds or Ni-Mh. You can charge them whenever you wish. The only risk is leaving a discharged battery in that state for a long time. (copy/paste)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You do not need to "optimize" your battery at all. Lithium-Ion batteries do not require the refresh cycles of Ni-Cds or Ni-Mh. You can charge them whenever you wish. The only risk is leaving a discharged battery in that state for a long time. (copy/paste)

I agree. Charge at your convenience. If you're going to leave the device idle for more than a week charge to 50% prior to storing it.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So...much.....confusion....

Not overly. We get this question every time a new device is launched and you can bet we've checked the answers again and again, year on year.

I'm a former Ambassador to iMore and I remember this question being asked last year and the year before, and the year before that too. The answers were the same: It doesn't matter anymore. It used to matter, now it doesn't.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Good thing it doesn't matter, I've never paid attention, lol. But i did notice that the 7 Plus has a tantric battery life.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Not overly. We get this question every time a new device is launched and you can bet we've checked the answers again and again, year on year.

I'm a former Ambassador to iMore and I remember this question being asked last year and the year before, and the year before that too. The answers were the same: It doesn't matter anymore. It used to matter, now it doesn't.

Amen...

Let me repeat... It used to matter, now it doesn't.

Period.

I jumped in one of these threads a year ago (maybe two years ago??) and did a bunch of actual engineering research (not Lifehacker articles...) and Li-Ion battery "calibration" and "memory" is a MYTH and they actually are designed to be trickle charged as necessary.

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

I know and I agree, but there is a ton of threads about this and in all of them, there is always someone saying "no no it's a good thing to drain the battery regularly"

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW