I can't do a Hard Reset on the iPhone 7 -- Can you?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree, partially. In a sense for purposes unknown it may have made things easier for Apple to make the change rather than the necessary configurations to allow for home button usage for a reset...but that doesn't mean they could NOT have left it as was. They chose not to, and quite possibly for good reason, but not because it was NOT possible. Just my opinion.

I wasn't saying it was done to mess with users. Just saying they took the easy road, which is fine and often the better choice.

However, a hard reset does not "require" a physical button. Apple could make a hard reset holding both volume rockers or triple taping the power key, or putting the phone face down, or "Hey Siri, perform a hard reset on my phone". Pretty smart engineers there.

Ultimately, Apple is only bound by intersection of what's possible and what makes sense. In this instance I believe it was simply easier to make the change to the volume rocker. The reasoning could be one of many.

Again, just my opinion. I've been wrong before.

Apple HAD TO take the home button out of the equation because it is no longer a mechanical button. Simply for the sake of being able to restart your device if it freezes up, there needs to be a way to use mechanical buttons. That was my point. Using Siri to reset your device would be awesome but it would be as useless as a frozen Taptic home button if the device became unresponsive.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Finally did, had to remove all traces of apple from her PC and even go into Regedit to remove stuff there. Start from scratch. Took hours, but she has my iPhone 6 now and it's working with iTunes.

My name is Robert, and I've been regedit clean for 16 years.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple HAD TO take the home button out of the equation because it is no longer a mechanical button. Simply for the sake of being able to restart your device if it freezes up, there needs to be a way to use mechanical buttons. That was my point. Using Siri to reset your device would be awesome but it would be as useless as a frozen Taptic home button if the device became unresponsive.

This. If your phone is stuck, I'm betting the home button doesn't do squat. Two physical buttons, not one physical and one software, will reset the phone.

anon(9733642)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I completely understand and can appreciate the other point of view of using 2 physical buttons to ensure a reset can be done. It's the idea of it being an ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENT that allows me to believe it is POSSIBLE. I just don't believe is the only way, but you all have a very fair point.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I completely understand and can appreciate the other point of view of using 2 physical buttons to ensure a reset can be done. It's the idea of it being an ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENT that allows me to believe it is POSSIBLE. I just don't believe is the only way, but you all have a very fair point.

Sure, Apple could have multiple methods to restart (don't forget you can always hold down the power button and then slide to shut down too) but I'm not sure that's really necessary. Resetting is just not something most users do on a daily basis. That being said, it would be cool to be able to use Siri for the occasional "something is acting up and I just want to restart". You could always submit feedback to https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p. You never know!

anon(9733642)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Sure, Apple could have multiple methods to restart (don't forget you can always hold down the power button and then slide to shut down too) but I'm not sure that's really necessary. Resetting is just not something most users do on a daily basis. That being said, it would be cool to be able to use Siri for the occasional "something is acting up and I just want to restart". You could always submit feedback to https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p. You never know!

Since launch day, zero issues. Just now my phone completely freezes for no reason. First hard reset done. Didn't think twice, went straight to volume rocker and power button. At least something has come from all this hard reset discussion.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Since launch day, zero issues. Just now my phone completely freezes for no reason. First hard reset done. Didn't think twice, went straight to volume rocker and power button. At least something has come from all this hard reset discussion.

Better than I did when I first had problems. Had to delete several screen shots!!