Activating iPhone 7 on different number

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Here's my deal. I reserved my iphone 7 using my daughter's line. Don't ask me why. It was 2am and none of my orders were going through. Anyway, now I can't activate the phone with my sim. It's forcing me to do it on hers. Question is - if I do that, it will probably automatically deactivate her current active sim, right? Will I be able to just swap out her current sim with the newly activated sim once I get through activation?

Reason I'm being careful is because I don't want to mess up her line just bc I want to play with my new phone. At the same time, I really want to avoid having to go to AT&T tomorrow to straighten this out. I've already called Apple and they were totally clueless.

Anyone have ideas?

sx4dude2013

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Here's my deal. I reserved my iphone 7 using my daughter's line. Don't ask me why. It was 2am and none of my orders were going through. Anyway, now I can't activate the phone with my sim. It's forcing me to do it on hers. Question is - if I do that, it will probably automatically deactivate her current active sim, right? Will I be able to just swap out her current sim with the newly activated sim once I get through activation?

Reason I'm being careful is because I don't want to mess up her line just bc I want to play with my new phone. At the same time, I really want to avoid having to go to AT&T tomorrow to straighten this out. I've already called Apple and they were totally clueless.

Anyone have ideas?

Should be able to swap sims once it's active. Or power off and restart with your sim out of your old iPhone in your new iPhone. I had trouble activating on Verizon with the preinstalled sim. I turned off my new iPhone. Took my old sim out of my iPhone 6s and put in my new iPhone and powered it up and it activated no problem

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Should be able to swap sims once it's active. Or power off and restart with your sim out of your old iPhone in your new iPhone. I had trouble activating on Verizon with the preinstalled sim. I turned off my new iPhone. Took my old sim out of my iPhone 6s and put in my new iPhone and powered it up and it activated no problem

I've already tried your second suggestion. My sim didn't work in the new phone. It wants to activate using her sim. I guess I could try putting her current sim in there and see if that works.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
That was my problem.. it's why I went to AT&T

Based on the followings "IF"
If her phone still has her SIM
If your new phone has a NEW SIM (even if on her #)
If your old SIM is compatible (we know it is...)

You use the NEW sim to activate the phone.. when you go to activate you will see HER number. Activate anyway and go through the set up. Once activated you swap sims at that time. You take that sim out of that phone, put it in the one you're giving her.. you take your sim out of your phone and in the one you're keeping.

I got scared when I saw my wife's phone number tied to the IMEI number. So I went to AT&T and we're good now. I could have done it at home, but was worried in case I locked the phone post activation.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
That was my problem.. it's why I went to AT&T

Based on the followings "IF"
If her phone still has her SIM
If your new phone has a NEW SIM (even if on her #)
If your old SIM is compatible (we know it is...)

You use the NEW sim to activate the phone.. when you go to activate you will see HER number. Activate anyway and go through the set up. Once activated you swap sims at that time. You take that sim out of that phone, put it in the one you're giving her.. you take your sim out of your phone and in the one you're keeping.

I got scared when I saw my wife's phone number tied to the IMEI number. So I went to AT&T and we're good now. I could have done it at home, but was worried in case I locked the phone post activation.

I actually JUST took her current sim out of her phone and activated my 7 with it and it activated just fine. I am not sure why I didn't think of it earlier. Anyway, things seem to be working. Hopefully, I didn't mess anything up for her.

luvesuga

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I had to do the same with my husband's. He has the new sim and it's working well. Getting all his calls and texts.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I had to do the same with my husband's. He has the new sim and it's working well. Getting all his calls and texts.

Good to know. Hopefully, ATT doesn't auto-activate her new sim and mess her up sometime down the road.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Good to know. Hopefully, ATT doesn't auto-activate her new sim and mess her up sometime down the road.

Finally smooth for us, my wife is using my iPhone 6 and I am on the 7 w/o issue. The only issue i had is unrelated and I lost my folders when doing a sync.. that's my own mess.. my OCD is kicking in and I need to organize!!!! LOL

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Finally smooth for us, my wife is using my iPhone 6 and I am on the 7 w/o issue. The only issue i had is unrelated and I lost my folders when doing a sync.. that's my own mess.. my OCD is kicking in and I need to organize!!!! LOL

Good luck with that!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I always remove the pre installed SIM before I ever turn it on and put mine in then turn it on .. then toss the new back up SIM in the box lol phone goes to correct line on account reguardless of how upgrade was processed ...

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I always remove the pre installed SIM before I ever turn it on and put mine in then turn it on .. then toss the new back up SIM in the box lol phone goes to correct line on account reguardless of how upgrade was processed ...

Did no work for my phone.. I took out the sim that came with the phone, put mine in from the iPhone 6 and it showed up to activate my wife's number. Even though it was my sim on my number, the phone was registered through the IMEI to her number.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Did no work for my phone.. I took out the sim that came with the phone, put mine in from the iPhone 6 and it showed up to activate my wife's number. Even though it was my sim on my number, the phone was registered through the IMEI to her number.

I forgot to mention I'm on Verizon not att

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox