Is Apple care worth buying .

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
But this will not be a replacement under Apple Care. If your phone dies after 4 days it will be replaced under normal consumer law.
True. But the 4S I had a couple years ago: That was AppleCare--Almost 40 times. And that's not a joke.

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Look at SquareTrade as well. It's a bit cheaper and allows you to take it to an Apple Store and they will reimburse you.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
True. But the 4S I had a couple years ago: That was AppleCare--Almost 40 times. And that's not a joke.

If a product was so bad that it had to be replaced 40 times I would absolutely expect the supplier to do everything in their power to compensate you under normal consumer law.

In fact:
1. I would expect a company to do more than simply keep replacing the phone, but to actually try to understand and fix the problem. This should not take 40 replacements.
2. I would have given up on the phone around the 3rd replacement; asked for a full refund (which I would be entitled to as the product was clearly not fit for purpose); and bought something else.

I don't like that Apple seem to have programmed people to expect to have to pay extra to exercise their normal rights under consumer law.

Terb

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Like most everyone has already said, apple care is a for sure purchase.
Have four 7+ running around daily in my family, like the peace of mind when they yell DAD... my phone.....

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
If a product was so bad that it had to be replaced 40 times I would absolutely expect the supplier to do everything in their power to compensate you under normal consumer law.

In fact:
1. I would expect a company to do more than simply keep replacing the phone, but to actually try to understand and fix the problem. This should not take 40 replacements.
2. I would have given up on the phone around the 3rd replacement; asked for a full refund (which I would be entitled to as the product was clearly not fit for purpose); and bought something else.

I don't like that Apple seem to have programmed people to expect to have to pay extra to exercise their normal rights under consumer law.
You'd need to read my prior posts to understand what happened for why it was around 40 phones. I don't really have time to explain that for the 1000th time. I think it's even previously in this thread.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
You'd need to read my prior posts to understand what happened for why it was around 40 phones. I don't really have time to explain that for the 1000th time. I think it's even previously in this thread.

I have read your post and I really don't understand why you should have to buy insurance to help Apple and AT&T solve what looks like a serious issue with their security systems.
I'm not so familiar with consumer law in the US but with or without Apple Care, I'd be looking for serious compensation if my phone needed to be replaced 40 times, with all the convenience that would cause.

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't care what the issue was however I would not exchange anything 40 times. Even if it was work related. I would just move on to something else. After a while your just wasting your time.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Also adds (extends) service/ tech support. More easily forgotten, yet no less important. Have never damaged a phone, but have had some really weird bugs that required extensive tech. With AppleCare+, no questions asked.

Also helps if you have trouble while traveling- they can send replacement quickly wherever you are.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Also adds (extends) service/ tech support. More easily forgotten, yet no less important. Have never damaged a phone, but have had some really weird bugs that required extensive tech. With AppleCare+, no questions asked.

Also helps if you have trouble while traveling- they can send replacement quickly wherever you are.

I'm amazed at how many problems Apple users seem to have. In 18 years of phone and smart phone ownership, I've never experienced such difficulties!

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I used to get it on my phones, but at the current price it doesn't make mathematical sense (to me). After plan purchase if I totally destroy my phone it will cost me $230 to replace it. With Apples generous OOW replacement it's about $320. Based on my history of not buying AppleCare for my last iPhone, I am already $130 ahead.
So, if I bought AppleCare plus last year and didn't need it, but had to completely replace my iPhone this year, I will actually spend less money over the last 2 years ($129+$129+99 vs. $319). That's assuming I only break a phone every 2 years. In reality I have not broken a phone since the iPhone 4 was released. Also, if just one screen repair per year it's $160 total with AppleCare plus vs. $130 without.
Since I don't break phones very often it makes more sense for me to pay out of pocket if I need to instead of having "insurance".
AppleCare plus is available because Apple makes money on it, not to do us favors. Also, most of these insurance/warranty plans make money for companies because most people never need to use it.

Last edited:

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Just replaced this phone last night for $79.

She's had it since December. The bend at the volume buttons was from putting it in her back pocket all the time. Screen finally cracked when she decided to go caseless with it, and apparently was plugged in charging when someone tripped over the cord and knocked it to a hard floor. She kept using it, but glass started coming out of it, and with 1 day left in Apple Care we went ahead and got it fixed.

Without Apple Care it would have been $299 to replace due to the bend. He couldn't just replace the glass.

View attachment 111725
View attachment 111726
if that is the way she treats her iPhone, she surely NEED AppleCare

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro