From 6s to 7...why? Why not?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
This isn't a troll thread, and certainly not a thread slamming the iPhone 7 or those who are choosing to upgrade. But, as I am facing a peculiar quandary this time as far as whether to upgrade from my "perfectly good" 6s to the 7 or not...I am very curious to know why some members are making the jump...and why some are not!

Please feel free to chime in! :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My current iPhone 6S Plus is the best iPhone "I've" ever used, and to be quite honest, there is no need whatsoever for me to get an iPhone 7 Plus. The iPhone 6S Plus is fast, still looks new and runs all of my installed apps without a hitch. Having said that, I will get the iPhone 7 Plus for ONE REASON ONLY. I simply want one. Period...��

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I would upgrade, is that I like to have the best/fastest phone period. I have a lovely 6S that is working just fine, with all sorts of cases, so it doesn't make sense from a practical/financial viewpoint, but I would like a better camera. I have even been tempted to pick up a Galaxy S7 just for the better camera. Also, slightly better battery life would be awesome. Mine isn't that great. I had a 6S+, which was better in the camera and battery life department, but I just couldn't stand the size. I think I should try to wait for the 7S.... but not sure if I can do it. Highly tempted by the shiny jet black!!

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
For me, there doesn't appear to be enough difference between the 6s and 7. Yes, I know about the new and improved camera and faster processor. But they say that pretty much every year, and I usually don't see that much of a difference with speed and photos between old and new models when I upgrade every year. I guess it's safe to say that I have finally realized it's not necessary for me to upgrade every year. I need to emphasize the 'for me' part... I am definitely not speaking for anybody but myself.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
My current iPhone 6S Plus is the best iPhone "I've" ever used, and to be quite honest, there is no need whatsoever for me to get an iPhone 7 Plus. The iPhone 6S Plus is fast, still looks new and runs all of my installed apps without a hitch. Having said that, I will get the iPhone 7 Plus for ONE REASON ONLY. I simply want one. Period...��

Now, how can you fault logic like that? :rotfl:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
This isn't a troll thread, and certainly not a thread slamming the iPhone 7 or those who are choosing to upgrade. But, as I am facing a peculiar quandary this time as far as whether to upgrade from my "perfectly good" 6s to the 7 or not...I am very curious to know why some members are making the jump...and why some are not!

Please feel free to chime in! :)

I did it for battery, better camera, and the water resistance is a nice touch. Mainly it is for the larger battery. My 6s has been pretty meh in terms of battery life.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For me, there doesn't appear to be enough difference between the 6s and 7. Yes, I know about the new and improved camera and faster processor. But they say that pretty much every year, and I usually don't see that much of a difference with speed and photos between old and new models when I upgrade every year. I guess it's safe to say that I have finally realized it's not necessary for me to upgrade every year. I need to emphasize the 'for me' part... I am definitely not speaking for anybody but myself.

Well stated, diggity...:)...I take photos with my iPhone for work purposes more than I do for personal reasons, and they all look the same or slightly better than last year's iPhone. In fact, the camera is not even a consideration for me with respect to buying an iPhone. I mean, I'm glad it's available, but it wouldn't really bother me if it wasn't.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I did it for battery, better camera, and the water resistance is a nice touch. Mainly it is for the larger battery. My 6s has been pretty meh in terms of battery life.

Battery life is probably the leading reason I would upgrade...that, and like Jus_Me_D said, "because I want it".

From the time I pull my 6s off the charger in the morning, until I get home after a 12-hour+ day, I'm usually at 20% or less...and I'd say t'm a moderate user. If I go out after work or do anything extracurricular...I'm looking for a charge. If I could be sure of even a 10-20% improvement in that...I'd be happy. Camera improvement & faster processor...meh. Same yadayadayada each year, IMO. Battery life would be the key to my upgrade too.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting one because I have an addiction to gadgets and I just have to upgrade every year. It's an illness that my husband happily supports so he's helping feed the addiction.

iphone2291

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I always say "there's no need to upgrade" but there's something in me that just needs a new iPhone every year. I ordered the iphone 7 matte black. Upgrading from iPhone 6S.

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'll probably wind up with one VERY soon. Not rushing out to get one as I have a perfectly good 6s and a galaxy S7 edge. I'd say the camera and battery life is what interest me though.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Not for me. My 6s Plus still perfectly does the job.
I upgraded from the 6 Plus to the 6s Plus because of the increase in RAM, which made a huge difference, and because of Rose Gold . I'm happy with the pictures it takes, battery life (I'm a heavy user) and 64GB is the right amount of storage. 128GB would feel like wasted space.

I'm not someone who upgrades only to have the latest, but because I need to (so, to me, latest =/= greatest).

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Not for me. My 6s Plus still perfectly does the job.
I upgraded from the 6 Plus to the 6s Plus because of the increase in RAM, which made a huge difference, and because of Rose Gold . I'm happy with the pictures it takes, battery life (I'm a heavy user) and 64GB is the right amount of storage. 128GB would feel like wasted space.

I'm not someone who upgrades only to have the latest, but because I need to (so, to me, latest =/= greatest).

I am upgrading because my wife's 5s camera is totally scratched and each photo looks like an alien is hiding in the corner. She wants my 6. I was not going to upgrade from the 6 to 6s or the 7. I wanted to wait for the 8. But we all have our reasons. Many we are good with, others seem to have the need to justify why they're not getting it. It's your money.. spend it how you want.

iBill 100

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm upgrading because I have the Apple upgrade program and I can replace my 6S with a 7. Since Apple increased the storage on the new iPhones, the new 128GB iPhone 7 will cost less per month than the old 128GB iPhone 6s. Also, did I mention that I just want one!

The 256GB iPhone 7 will cost the same per month as the 128GB iPhone 6S. I'll take a 128GB black one please, lol!!

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm upgrading because I have the Apple upgrade program and I can replace my 6S with a 7. Since Apple increased the storage on the new iPhones, the new 128GB iPhone 7 will cost less per month than the old 128GB iPhone 6s. Also, did I mention that I just want one!

The 256GB iPhone 7 will cost the same per month as the 128GB iPhone 6S. I'll take a 128GB black one please, lol!!

As long as you don't mind waiting.. I am not sure there will be many 128GB Matte Blacks in store until around November. I could be wrong.

iBill 100

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi Craig,
I hope you are wrong about the wait. BTW, I read that the new Jet Black iPhone is susceptible to light scratches which led me to chose the black iPhone.
Per Apple's website:
The high-gloss finish of the jet black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I've always "treated" myself to the newest iPhone every year since the 3GS... and now that I have T-Mo Jump-on-Demand it is easy to upgrade every year. However, my other family members that have 6s iPhones are not upgrading this year -- they are more "normal" and are basically on a two year upgrade cycle

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen