Worthwhile to upgrade from iPhone 6 to 7?

PatrickMcA

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I have an iPhone 6, which has been a great phone, and I'm wondering if there is enough improvement from the 6 to the 7 to upgrade. I know that lithium ion batteries only have a limited number of charge cycles - I understand it's around 500 - and I'm guessing my iPhone6 will start to slow down as the battery gets to this limit sometime in the next year or so. That's what happened to my old Pod Touch - slowed to a crawl and wouldn't hold a charge for very long. If I were to trade my iPhone 6 in now on an iPhone 7, while my battery is still good, I could get a much better trade-in value from Apple than later, when it's running slowly. Of course, I would wait 2-3 months before trading in, to see what kinks get worked out in the new phone and iOS10. What do you think - worth upgrading?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

I have an iPhone 6 myself and am going to move to the 7 Plus. I am moving for a couple reasons. First is screen size. I have tired old eyes and need the larger screen. The camera on the 6 is a far cry from the 7 Plus dual lens camera. It will be a lot faster with the new GPU and A10 processor. iOS 10 has been mostly worked out and is on of the most stable betas I ever ran. If it ran smooth on my 6, I can only imagine how smooth it will be on a 7 Plus.

If you can afford it, I would say move up. It is a much bigger change from the 6 to 7, than from the 6s to 7. Hope this helps helps you in your decision.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
My 6 is paid off as I've had it since launch. Longest I kept a phone ever I think. It's only 16gb and I need more internal storage so the upgrade is definitely worth it IMO.

mtcowdog

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a 6 and am in a grumpy state with Apple. And my answer is yes. It is worth it. Speed, camera, ... look to be substantive upgrades. I struggle to see a better smart phone available. I am setting an alarm and pre-ordering tonight. Darn you Apple. ✌️

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a 6 Plus and I'm upgrading to the 7 Plus. 256 GB. Matte black. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Several reasons: My man has been anti iPhone for as long as I've known him and shockingly enough this year he told me he "might try one, but not a new one, he'd rather have my old one".

I want my phone to be able to keep up with my new iPad Pro, lol.

I didn't get the 6S, so I think I'm going to notice quite a difference this time.

I do so much on my phone and iPad that it's worth having the latest and bestest, this year.

I'M WORTH IT, THAT'S WHY. :rotfl:

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
My reasons for going from iPhone 6 to 7

#1 I still plan on going to 8 next year. We have a couple upgrades with AT&T so not an issue.
#2 I want some of the features like Hey Siri (w/o being plugged in), the taptic feedback, the better camera and to save in RAW, and a few minor ones.
#3 I like "raise to wake" and some 6S forward features we can't get on the 6
#4 I want to see the speed difference with all chips and processors and see if it makes a difference
#5 I like the new home button and want to see some of those features.
#6 (the big one) my wife wants my iPhone 6, so makes my choice easier.

Good luck!

JeryFD

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I know I won't be upgrading my 6 Plus for the 7 or 7 Plus. Normally I like to upgrade every two years because thats when Apple has historically had a new design. My hunch is that Apple will really try to make a big deal of their 10th anniversary iPhone. I don't want to buy the 7 Plus now and then regret it next year. There is no way I'm going to spend money on a phone if i'm planning on getting another the following year. The pace of technological advances in smart phones has been slowing over the last few years and it's starting to feel more like the pace of laptops. I don't feel the technological bump from the 6 Plus to the 7 Plus is enough to get me excited about making a purchase.

Now if next year Apple adds an OLED screen, shrinks the bezel and gives me one more feature like perhaps Pencil support; I'm all over it. Give me the 256GB!

anon(9776449)

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I said it in another thread and I'm gonna tell this to you. You have a 6 so you have been 2 years with the same phone. I totally recommend you to upgrade. I have a 6s plus so I doesn't make sense TO ME to upgrade right now. I'm gonna wait for the next one. Go ahead and buy it. You will be doing a really good investment.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I had a 5s till July, it took a dive, I went out and bought an iPhone 6.
There was almost no difference in performance.
The performance gap between 6 and 6s IS noticeable though.

I have no doubt the performance gap between 6s and 7 will be noticeable as well.

So yes, you will find it worthwhile to upgrade from the 6 to the 7.

nikkimd11

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I would say upgrade to the iPhone 7, better battery life, a lot faster, better camera, there are some new offers just announced with sprint, t-mobile and Verizon, at least with Verizon i know you can trade in a iPhone 6 and they give you $650 toward an iPhone 7 depending on which model you want, if you are with Verizon I would definitely go for it

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I've had two water accidents with iphones that cost me a few backs... just the water resistance alone will do it for me..

mtcowdog

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I did this upgrade, 6 to 7. I think it will be worthwhile to me. I use the camera almost daily, so that's hopefully as nice an improvement as advertised. I would have loved the plus camera, but the size is no go for my usage. The other improvements in performance and modest function additions are appealing for a variety of reasons, including having a little more future proof phone for OS upgrades and apps. Little improvements in things like speaker volume are also appealing to me. I use my phone regularly as a conference phone with small groups. I'll have my new phone in a week. Should be an interesting comparison. It's always a gamble to pre-order before detailed reviews are out.

aokusman1

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
This is a personal decision. Most people will keep their phones for a couple of years while others will upgrade yearly. What the new phone worth to vs keeping your current phone.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
This is a personal decision. Most people will keep their phones for a couple of years while others will upgrade yearly. What the new phone worth to vs keeping your current phone.

Yeah I was all excited to upgrade from my 6 Plus but when I tried ordering Apple failed to let me know that the black wouldn't be delivered until the end of the month.
Had I known I would have switched colors but now I can't: I was told I could cancel and start over which would give me a shipping date of mid to late November.

That, btw, is the most sure fire way to lose my interest.
So I canceled my order, since Apple can't be relied on to keep their deadlines.
The truth is they need my money like a hole in the head and they clearly don't give a fig about their customers so long as the cash keeps rolling in.
Maybe Samsung is rubbing off on them after all.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I was all excited to upgrade from my 6 Plus but when I tried ordering Apple failed to let me know that the black wouldn't be delivered until the end of the month.

I just looked at the Apple site and for me the Matte Black in 128GB and 256GB still shows 9/16 delivery. Only the 32GB shows 2-3 week delays.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a gold 6s 64 and I felt there was enough new features to get me to pre order my new iPhone 7 128 gold model this afternoon, should be here in two weeks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711