Are YOU ok with no audio jack??

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
To be honest I just don't understand what the big fuss is about. They changed 1 thing but added a handful of things and all people can complain about is the 1 thing? That is crazy. What about the extra speaker or the force touch home button? They are even giving you an adapter and people are still crying. Come on people let's enjoy this new beautiful device. Just my 2 cents lol

apcman

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I understand that why they did it but I just feel like they didn't have a solution for totally replacing it. If I wanted to get new headphones with a lightning connecter it wouldn't work with my Mac that is only a year and a half old. I can't charge my phone at the airport and listen to music either. I travel a fair amount and it is nice being able to top off my phone and keep the tunes playing. I have in the past forgot my headphones at home but I could always stop at any store and grab a cheap pair to get me through the week, but now that can't happen. It just feels like they decided it would be a good idea from a engineering stand point but they didn't think of all the benefits that come from that standard jack.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
After the Apple announcement i see a lot of people are not ok with this change, and some even completely hate it. I'm wondering are there people out there OK with the change and don't mind the fact that there is no audio jack? or maybe you are happy about this change.

I for one don't mind it, i actually don't listen much with my headphones so i'm ok and can't wait to get a new iPhone.

For me, its not a train smash since i own some bluetooth headphones. That being said, i actually do prefer using the cable. I don't think not having a 3.5mm jack will stop me from purchasing but its definitely a CON and not a PRO in my opinion

garfieldthecat

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site

garfieldthecat

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Not to people who tend to forward think or innovate.
And just what is this innovation?
Waterproofing, which other manufacturers pulled off while retaining the audio jack?

Better audio quality? How and why? Better than, say, the $ 1,000 top of the range quad-driver in-ear Shures used by professionals? SE846 Sound Isolating? Earphones | Shure Americas

24 bit? Like Sony's 24-bit-capable hi-res audio headphones which, guess what, use an ordinary jack? Hi-Res Audio | High Resolution Audio for Best Sound Quality | Sony US

More battery? Exactly how much more battery has the iphone gained? And can't this be offset by lightning headphones drawing power from the phone?

Better active noise cancelling? Better than Bose's? Better than passive noise isolation which, unlike the active one, does not require power and does not distort sounds in any way?

Like I said, floppy disks and lan ports were removed because there was a better alternative. I still have to understand how and why lightning would be any better.

I do, however, see lots of downsides: the adapter adds bulk, defying the point about a thinner point, and is easy to lose; you cannot charge and listen to music at the same time; you cannot listen to any media stored on an OTG device; using the same headphones on other devices becomes harder (yes, there's an adapter, but how many people will forget to carry it around when they need it?). Forget Android, this means incompatibility even with many Macs! Ah, yes, the future, the innovation... even if it is unclear what advantages this innovation brings!

Decency & common sense? How is understanding that some people will dislike the lack of an earphone jack and therefore providing the tools so that they can continue using their current accessories not decent and a display of common sense?
Apple did this because it wanted to push users towards using lightning headphones, because they get a cut on every lightning device sold, while they do not get a cent on non-lightning headphones. You may say you are fine with it, that this is not a disadvantage for how you use your phone, or that the iphone has other pros which outweigh this con - that's fine, of course, it's a subjective opinion, to each his/her own. What is totally flawed, though, is that this was because of 'innovation'.

Ron7624

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm Okay with it since they included the Lightning ear buds in the box. I don't listen to music often unless I'm in my truck, then it comes through the system in my truck.
I really liked the new Air Pods. I gotta get a set of those when they come out. I like being able to use just one for phone calls and other things.. I just hope they have the same volume the wired ones have because I lost a lot of my hearing to loud music when I was younger.

anon(9776449)

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Those days I found myself charging my phone and listening to music or watching videos while I'm in my bed. So maybe that would be a problem to me.

anon(9776449)

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
To be honest I just don't understand what the big fuss is about. They changed 1 thing but added a handful of things and all people can complain about is the 1 thing? That is crazy. What about the extra speaker or the force touch home button? They are even giving you an adapter and people are still crying. Come on people let's enjoy this new beautiful device. Just my 2 cents lol

Hahaha agree. I really don't see the purpose of all of this. A minor change. A big problem. Definitely they will be used to it with time.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
No,I'm not happy with this,I listen and read at the same time,this eats my battery. I need to charge as well. My very old 4s is still running but I was going to buy a new iPhone at the end of this year.However I think I'll wait till this is sorted out (7s-8) if the old girl pops her clogs I'l get whatever is the best deal at the time.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
And just what is this innovation?
Waterproofing, which other manufacturers pulled off while retaining the audio jack?

Better audio quality? How and why? Better than, say, the $ 1,000 top of the range quad-driver in-ear Shures used by professionals? SE846 Sound Isolating? Earphones | Shure Americas

24 bit? Like Sony's 24-bit-capable hi-res audio headphones which, guess what, use an ordinary jack? Hi-Res Audio | High Resolution Audio for Best Sound Quality | Sony US

More battery? Exactly how much more battery has the iphone gained? And can't this be offset by lightning headphones drawing power from the phone?

Better active noise cancelling? Better than Bose's? Better than passive noise isolation which, unlike the active one, does not require power and does not distort sounds in any way?

Like I said, floppy disks and lan ports were removed because there was a better alternative. I still have to understand how and why lightning would be any better.

I do, however, see lots of downsides: the adapter adds bulk, defying the point about a thinner point, and is easy to lose; you cannot charge and listen to music at the same time; you cannot listen to any media stored on an OTG device; using the same headphones on other devices becomes harder (yes, there's an adapter, but how many people will forget to carry it around when they need it?). Forget Android, this means incompatibility even with many Macs! Ah, yes, the future, the innovation... even if it is unclear what advantages this innovation brings!

Apple did this because it wanted to push users towards using lightning headphones, because they get a cut on every lightning device sold, while they do not get a cent on non-lightning headphones. You may say you are fine with it, that this is not a disadvantage for how you use your phone, or that the iphone has other pros which outweigh this con - that's fine, of course, it's a subjective opinion, to each his/her own. What is totally flawed, though, is that this was because of 'innovation'.

Apple is first and foremost, a business, and we are the consumers. A business will always do what's in its own best interest while balancing the appeal of their products and services to the consumers, as a whole. Every business knows that it will NEVER please EVERYONE so it weighs what would please or affect MOST. The removal of the earphone jack will not have a negative affect on MOST.

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope. It's not cool with me. I use the 3.5 jack to play music in my car on trip. I also use it to have GPS navigation run through my car speakers. With both of those apps running, and considering the length of my road trips, I need to also have the phone charging. Even on shorter trips, I have my phone charging so that when I arrive I have a fully charged battery. With this new system, you cannot have your phone charging AND have it plugged into AUX for music at the same time. Poor.

garfieldthecat

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Apple is first and foremost, a business, and we are the consumers. A business will always do what's in its own best interest
Of course.
while balancing the appeal of their products and services to the consumers, as a whole. Every business knows that it will NEVER please EVERYONE so it weighs what would please or affect MOST. The removal of the earphone jack will not have a negative affect on MOST.
No. What you have said does not apply in this case. Thinner phone vs bigger battery is one example where you cannot please everyone and must strike a balance. Jack or no jack is not. Leaving the jack in does not cause any inconvenience to those who do not use it; removing it causes lots of inconvenience to the many who use it. The disadvantages are clear (I’m not going to repeat myself listing them again); the advantages are not (in fact, I don’t think there is any).

We disagree on the usefulness of the jack - fine; but can we at least agree that there is no 'innovation' behind the decision of removing it? If there is, no one has yet explained exactly what it is!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Of course.

No. What you have said does not apply in this case. Thinner phone vs bigger battery is one example where you cannot please everyone and must strike a balance. Jack or no jack is not. Leaving the jack in does not cause any inconvenience to those who do not use it; removing it causes lots of inconvenience to the many who use it. The disadvantages are clear (I’m not going to repeat myself listing them again); the advantages are not (in fact, I don’t think there is any).

We disagree on the usefulness of the jack - fine;
Thank you.
but can we at least agree that there is no 'innovation' behind the decision of removing it? If there is, no one has yet explained exactly what it is!
To innovate is to think creatively. Having said that, the simple removal of the earphone jack is, by definition, innovative. What you "seem to want" is an explanation to why they chose to remove it other than what was explained at the keynote, of which you reject. I cannot provide that explanation. Anyway, I've got to go to work. Have a great day.

Last edited:

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm OK with no headphone jack. The lightning solution seems fine and this may give me a push to pick up some Bluetooth headphones.

This is how I feel.

Is it ideal? No, but I got bigger stuff to worry about (including but not limited to 11/8 but that's another thread) that the change is nothing I'll be spending any time on. I'll look at the feature set and decide if the phone is right for me. If not, I'll get something else. Truth be told, I prefer the iPhone due to how it works with all my other stuff, so I'll make it work, and not lose any sleep over it.