Are YOU ok with no audio jack??

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I was using wireless headphones well before apple started pushing it but it's good to have a headphone jack because batteries die and you and the 7/7plus can't charge your phone and listen to music with some cheap wire headphones while your wireless headphones are charging so they kind of limit themselves on making the push

Possible..... in the future, after market dongles that will allow charging and listening, if you really must use wired. That being said, if you're using BT headsets, it's moot.

garfieldthecat

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
It is a user-hostile move. I asked in another thread (http://forums.imore.com/iphone-7/37...headphones-technical-details-appreciated.html) if anyone could elaborate on the technicalities of how much better lightning headphones could potentially be, because it's still unclear to me (i am honestly skeptical).

Saying that the audio jack is old technology is ridiculous and utterly meaningless; some things just work and do not need to be 'updated' every year. Did Steve Jobs drive around in cars which did not have round wheels, because, you know, round wheels are so old having been around for millennia? Should I not use sandals in the summer because Roman soldiers used to wear them? Should I use something other than a spoon to eat soup because spoons are too old a technology?

Freeing up space on the phone is equally ridiculous: there are plenty of thin flagship smartphones with an audio jack and with bigger batteries than the iphone.

As everyone knows now you cannot listen to music and charge at the same time, or listen to an audio track/watch a movie stored in an OTG drive. Yes, now we have more storage on the new iphone 7, but that comes at a very steep price.

Wireless headphones must be recharged; if you fly long-haul or are away from a charger for whatever reason, you either buy two sets of headphones or must recharge yours during the flight.

Yes, Apple has ditched previously common technology in the past, but in those cases there was a better alternative. Floppy disks were removed when they were no longer adequate for the storage needs of the time. LAN ports were removed when wireless was becoming ubiquitous. But the audio jack? Apple is still to prove that lightning headphones are any better; in fact, I very much doubt they wil be better than, say, top of the range Shure which can cost as much as $ 1,000. By the way, in-ear earphones provide the best (passive) noise isolation without distorting the original sound, so saying that lighting headphones can have better noise cancelling is a very weak argument.

I understand Apple wants to squeeze as many dollars as possible out of anything, and I totally appreciate that for this very reason it hates open standards, but this is beyond decency and common sense. Sale figures will show how many people are happy putting up with Apple and how many will switch to Android or keep their old iphones.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Possible..... in the future, after market dongles that will allow charging and listening, if you really must use wired. That being said, if you're using BT headsets, it's moot.

More people will complain and the 7s plus or 8 will have a headphone jack

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
It is a user-hostile move. I asked in another thread (http://forums.imore.com/iphone-7/37...headphones-technical-details-appreciated.html) if anyone could elaborate on the technicalities of how much better lightning headphones could potentially be, because it's still unclear to me (i am honestly skeptical).

Saying that the audio jack is old technology is ridiculous and utterly meaningless; some things just work and do not need to be 'updated' every year. Did Steve Jobs drive around in cars which did not have round wheels, because, you know, round wheels are so old having been around for millennia? Should I not use sandals in the summer because Roman soldiers used to wear them? Should I use something other than a spoon to eat soup because spoons are too old a technology?

Freeing up space on the phone is equally ridiculous: there are plenty of thin flagship smartphones with an audio jack and with bigger batteries than the iphone.

As everyone knows now you cannot listen to music and charge at the same time, or listen to an audio track/watch a movie stored in an OTG drive. Yes, now we have more storage on the new iphone 7, but that comes at a very steep price.

Wireless headphones must be recharged; if you fly long-haul or are away from a charger for whatever reason, you either buy two sets of headphones or must recharge yours during the flight.

Yes, Apple has ditched previously common technology in the past, but in those cases there was a better alternative. Floppy disks were removed when they were no longer adequate for the storage needs of the time. LAN ports were removed when wireless was becoming ubiquitous. But the audio jack? Apple is still to prove that lightning headphones are any better; in fact, I very much doubt they wil be better than, say, top of the range Shure which can cost as much as $ 1,000. By the way, in-ear earphones provide the best (passive) noise isolation without distorting the original sound, so saying that lighting headphones can have better noise cancelling is a very weak argument.

I understand Apple wants to squeeze as many dollars as possible out of anything, and I totally appreciate that for this very reason it hates open standards, but this is beyond decency and common sense. Sale figures will show how many people are happy putting up with Apple and how many will switch to Android or keep their old iphones.

Apple included a headphone jack. It comes in the form of an adaptor.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
If an adapter was not an option and/or available I can see the issue. My first complaint when I heard about the missing jack (when a rumor) was that I spent a lot of $$$ on wired headphones. But the adapter solves the issue. I can't see why the whining? It's not a big deal. It's old tech, time to move onward.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...if anyone could elaborate on the technicalities of how much better lightning headphones could potentially be, because it's still unclear to me (i am honestly skeptical).
Better depends on the listener. You know that. It was the same with the audio jack. All earphones connected to it didn't produce the same sound quality and the same will be true in regard to listening via the lightning port.

Saying that the audio jack is old technology is ridiculous and utterly meaningless;
Not to people who tend to forward think or innovate.
some things just work and do not need to be 'updated' every year.
This will be the "first" year that Apple opted to remove the earphone jack from their newest iPhone devices.....
I understand Apple wants to squeeze as many dollars as possible out of anything, and I totally appreciate that for this very reason it hates open standards, but this is beyond decency and common sense.
Decency & common sense? How is understanding that some people will dislike the lack of an earphone jack and therefore providing the tools so that they can continue using their current accessories not decent and a display of common sense?

Rainwater50

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't really bother me. I think it might just take a little time to get used to.

I might try out the new air pods if there's some sale around Christmas time.

And it still comes with the wired earpods, just with the lightning connector.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I can't tell if the people who are "slamming" apple for the removal of the earphone jack are either Trolling Us or Serious?

It's like the old saying.. you can do 100 good things is no one cares... you do one thing someone perceives as wrong, and they will B**** to anyone who will listen.

noto220

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm cool with it. It does come with an adaptor which a lot of people aren't covering. Like tons of the medias headlines "iPhone 7 NO Headphone Jack" shouldn't be that hard, just leave the adaptor on your headphones. I'm assuming they ditched it for the water 'resistant' part.

technonene

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Besides being someone who listen to music a lot I don't really care, the only bad thing is everyone who wants to use other audio devices only compatible with P2, will need to cary the adapter.

NekoMichi

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
For me personally it isn't a major issue, I switched to using Bluetooth headphones a long time ago so the removal of an on-board headphone port won't make much of a difference. There are a few situations where I still do need to use wired audio, though:

- Bluetooth audio has a small delay compared to wired audio. While this isn't really noticeable when watching videos, it can adversely affect video editing processes.
- The same goes for when composing music using apps like MusicStudio, the small delay between what the screen shows and the audio is distracting.
- And also for music/rhythm games that require precision timing, the Bluetooth delay can totally throw off gameplay.
- Audio quality through Bluetooth isn't as good as through wired. This isn't really that noticeable for everyday listening (especially since Bluetooth audio has been getting better and better over the years) but can interfere when listening to audio tracks for analytical purposes. (But then again, acoustic analysis isn't exactly an everyday use for an iPhone, and is probably better suited on a PC)

So I guess it's good that the iPhone 7 comes with an audio adaptor, which I'll probably leave semi-permanently attached to my audio cord for the times when Bluetooth audio can't get the job done.

Tsar7777

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
They always said that when Steve Jobs was gone that Apple would go to hell. Talk about out of touch. The never ear buds hurt my ears but I have some older ones that are great. Apples motto "If it works, fix it". Somebody is going to sweep in and steal the show directly, be it Samsung, LG, whom ever. I am ready to jump from Apple, just not sure which way at this point. By this time next year, it will be crystal clear.

Tsar7777

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Exactly the point. The customer is not always right with Apple. And Apple Pay, the only place I can find that takes it is the Apple Store. I am getting the new air pods for free, I'll be picking them up off the sidewalk.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
They always said that when Steve Jobs was gone that Apple would go to hell. Talk about out of touch. The never ear buds hurt my ears but I have some older ones that are great. Apples motto "If it works, fix it". Somebody is going to sweep in and steal the show directly, be it Samsung, LG, whom ever. I am ready to jump from Apple, just not sure which way at this point. By this time next year, it will be crystal clear.

Exactly the point. The customer is not always right with Apple. And Apple Pay, the only place I can find that takes it is the Apple Store. I am getting the new air pods for free, I'll be picking them up off the sidewalk.

The great news is there are a ton of other options. If you're unhappy with Apple you can always switch. Just keep in mind the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner