Black or Jet Black?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Another vote for sanity. Matte black!

Swapped my silver 7 Plus out for a matte black 7 Plus today. It's really sharp looking. I love how the antenna lines blend right in. Ow.

noto220

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
I went matte black, best decision. Specially considering the antenna bands are basically invisible. They can see them more on the Jetblack.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Between those two, I would definitely go for the regular black version. I don't like the jet black at all - not a fan of the glossy look.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I really like the looks of the jet black but I will get the matte black. I can't stand micro scratches and a greasy phone. But it looks good when it's clean

xlovepink88x

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I was so set on the jet black but went with Matte black instead because constantly changing cases on the jet black will leave scuff marks. I'm actually a lot more relieved I went with matte black instead and I have no regrets.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I started with matte and switched to jet once it became available in stores. I like jet so much more!

zwuncki

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Jet Black is so grippy, OMG. No comparison to the matt 6/6S Plus I had before and matt black is even more slippery from what I've read. Again, I "only" have an iPhone 7. With a 7 Plus, using it without a case jet black would be the only way to go because of size and handling.

2 weeks now and a thin line of micro scratches way from the beginning in the corners and now a mini scratch. But you don't see it in normal life, only when putting the device against the light, and even then only in the sun or bright light.

Very happy. But also read that Apple has several manufacturer producing the housing of at least the Jet Black version. So maybe there is also a need of luck of which Jet Black you get.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I find it doesn't get as fingerprinted or scratch as easily as others are implying. I haven't polished mine, and I'm running case less and throwing it in my purse and there's no marks. Nothing.

I love the feel of the phone so much more than the matte backed one - even my Rose Gold 6S Plus which I adore isn't as nice feeling as the jet.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I find it doesn't get as fingerprinted or scratch as easily as others are implying. I haven't polished mine, and I'm running case less and throwing it in my purse and there's no marks. Nothing.

I love the feel of the phone so much more than the matte backed one - even my Rose Gold 6S Plus which I adore isn't as nice feeling as the jet.

I agree. And if peoples screen get a finger print, no big deal. If the back of your phone gets a finger print it's panic time. I don't get it. Most people who knock the phone don't even have it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Simply put, the Matte Black is gorgeous. When the iPhone 7 was first announced I thought I was sold on the Jet Black. Waited up all night on pre-order day to pre-order the Jet Black (the site ended up not working so I didn't finalize it until the following morning). I then jumped online all excited to see what everyone was saying about the Jet Black.

Then it happened...I started seeing more pictures of the Matte Black. I started panicking. Second guessing my choice. Wondering how badly I would mess up the order process if I changed. Sweats. Waking up in the middle of the night full of anxiety. Getting sick at work.

I couldn't take it.

I knew what I had to do. I cancelled my Jet Black order and ordered the Matte Black. When my phone arrived it was love at first sight. I knew I made the right choice.

The Matte Black...quite simply...is astonishing.
Once you got Matte...well...you know the rest.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Jet Black was still available when I did my pre-order, but only in 256. I wound up getting the Matte Black in 128. I am just not a person who can deal with finger prints and/or scratches. Not even one. If there was a scratch that I could only see in the right light, and it was the size of an eyelash I would be upset. So Jet was OUT. The Matte Black looks sleek, industrial, modern, edgy.. so it was the best choice. I love it with the Apple black leather case. Just a nice flat black look and feel. Just my 2-cents.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Simply put, the Matte Black is gorgeous. When the iPhone 7 was first announced I thought I was sold on the Jet Black. Waited up all night on pre-order day to pre-order the Jet Black (the site ended up not working so I didn't finalize it until the following morning). I then jumped online all excited to see what everyone was saying about the Jet Black.

Then it happened...I started seeing more pictures of the Matte Black. I started panicking. Second guessing my choice. Wondering how badly I would mess up the order process if I changed. Sweats. Waking up in the middle of the night full of anxiety. Getting sick at work.

I couldn't take it.

I knew what I had to do. I cancelled my Jet Black order and ordered the Matte Black. When my phone arrived it was love at first sight. I knew I made the right choice.

The Matte Black...quite simply...is astonishing.
Once you got Matte...well...you know the rest.

Yep, the (Matte) Black color is beautiful. I looked briefly at the Jet Black but, to me it made the phone look like a iPhone 3/3s or 5c. I knew that I would be using a black Apple Leather case anyway so the choice was a no brainer anyway.

mikepas

May 18, 2012
Visit site
I went in to the T-Mobile store the other day intending to get the matt black iPhone 7 but all they had in that trim were 32GB phones and I wanted 128GB. Oddly enough the only 128GB iPhone 7's they had in stock were Jet Black and I'm impatient and got it.

Best. Decision. Ever!

I love the Jet Black. The look and feel are spot on for me.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I opted for Matte black. I just don't like the Jet Black finish at all. I didn't like it on my 2/3/3GS either, so why put myself through the torture again. Whilst my 7 plus will be cased, i'll know which phone I bought and the Jet Black just would not make me happy.

Jet black looks great but if it scratches to easily and your putting it on a case whats the point of having it? I feel the same about glass smartphones, it?s just stupid to have something that will break when dropped.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner