Jet Black - Serious fingerprint/smudge factor?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Seriously want to head to the Apple Store as soon as devices are on the shelves. I want to check out the new Black and Jet Black finishes... I have to wonder how much fingerprints and smudges will show up on Jet Black. I mean, I love the finish, but if it's going to smudge up like crazy, I think I'd be tempted to get the matte 'Black' finish instead!

Thoughts?

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Seriously want to head to the Apple Store as soon as devices are on the shelves. I want to check out the new Black and Jet Black finishes... I have to wonder how much fingerprints and smudges will show up on Jet Black. I mean, I love the finish, but if it's going to smudge up like crazy, I think I'd be tempted to get the matte 'Black' finish instead!

Thoughts?

I was thinking the same thing, the jet black looks beautiful but if it's going to smudge I will go with the matte black instead. I hope it doesn't smudge

anon(9776449)

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I was thinking about the too. The finish is completely stupid stunning but is seems to be a huge fingerprint magnet machine. And then my hands is kinda sweaty so.. 😂 I think this is not gonna work for me. But we never know. Can't wait to play with this boy. Let's see. But I'm really looking forward to this new color option.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
This isn't quite what you're asking, but Apple's website already has this posted in their first footnote:

"The high-gloss finish of the jet black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone."

From iPhone 7 - Technical Specifications - Apple

2016-09-07_15-43-53.jpg

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The regular black is fine for me, I keep it in a case 24/7 anyway and the phone is never really seen. I have a gold one now. I forgot it was gold until I replaced the case.

anon(9733642)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
There's even an asterisk and warning that the Jet Black scratches easily. This concerns me about the "regular" black though. It may just be photos but it looks almost as if the front face place is the same, the backs are different but in the back and sides only with the Jet Black remaining smooth and glossy and the Regular Black Black more of a Matte. I'd actually prefer a front face being more Matte as well.

IMG_1473324778.803227.jpg
IMG_1473324788.821116.jpg

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73