What is this?

aokusman1

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
So you need an adapter to listen to music and if anything happens to that adaptor you need to buy a new one? If the phone is charging in a car or plugged into a battery pack you can't listen to music.

Obviously if the person buys the phone they are willing to live with that. How is that a problem?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
How large were the jacks Apple was using? o_O

How much space is inside an iPhone 6 for all that stuff? Battery, camera, motherboard, speakers, earpiece, power switch, volume switch, ring/silent switch, screen, etc.?

sub-buzz-30718-1473102108-1.jpg

?It was holding us back from a number of things we wanted to put into the iPhone,? Riccio says. ?It was fighting for space with camera technologies and processors and battery life. And frankly, when there?s a better, modern solution available, it?s crazy to keep it around.?

That's a quote from an article I read, quoting Dan Riccio, Apple?s senior vice president of hardware engineering (been with Apple since 1998)

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
There has NEVER been a release in my mind where someone did not find something to B**** about... from Bendgate to changing charging methods to this. Each release someone will complain and start something on why Apple is evil and screwing over their customers. Yet, phone = sold out (basically).. If/when the 8 comes out.. and it's (hopefully) radically different, we will hear about that. Why mess with a good phone, the 6 / 7 design was perfect, damn you apple, why are you doing this to us.. No matter how much good stuff happens, people will find the one item they don't like and drive as many nails into the coffin as possible. Just human nature I guess?

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
There has NEVER been a release in my mind where someone did not find something to B**** about... from Bendgate to changing charging methods to this. Each release someone will complain and start something on why Apple is evil and screwing over their customers. Yet, phone = sold out (basically).. If/when the 8 comes out.. and it's (hopefully) radically different, we will hear about that. Why mess with a good phone, the 6 / 7 design was perfect, damn you apple, why are you doing this to us.. No matter how much good stuff happens, people will find the one item they don't like and drive as many nails into the coffin as possible. Just human nature I guess?

I'm with you on this one, every year someone has something to complain about, it's to the point now that I just go off of my needs.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you on this one, every year someone has something to complain about, it's to the point now that I just go off of my needs.

I go off my wife's needs :p Makes my life easier.. she wants my iPhone 6 --- there you go.. iPhone 7 on it's way for me... tada! LOL

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There was a similar to now plaintive wail when the 30pin port was dropped, and knickers were knotted, and forums were replete with it would be the end of the iPhone, and Apple... we all know how that turned out now don't we?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
There was a similar to now plaintive wail when the 30pin port was dropped, and knickers were knotted, and forums were replete with it would be the end of the iPhone, and Apple... we all know how that turned out now don't we?

They changed the size of the charging port, not force everyone to use the headphone jack to listen to music and charge the iPhone... There's a difference between changing the type of charging port vs removing a port all together.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
They changed the size of the charging port, not force everyone to use the headphone jack to listen to music and charge the iPhone... There's a difference between changing the type of charging port vs removing a port all together.

Not really, not when they're still giving you a very simple option to still use your legacy devices.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

I bet when Apple moved the power button from the top to the side, and iOS7's "flat" design really rocked your world too ...
Point being ... Apple's still here and so are you ...

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I bet when Apple moved the power button from the top to the side, and iOS7's "flat" design really rocked your world too ...
Point being ... Apple's still here and so are you ...

To be honest when the moves the power button people complained and cried the same way they are doing now about the headphone jack.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
To be honest when the moves the power button people complained and cried the same way they are doing now about the headphone jack.

To be 100% honest.. I still wind up adjusting my sound "often" when I just want to turn off the phone. Just the way my hands hold the phone. Still irks me a bit.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
To be 100% honest.. I still wind up adjusting my sound "often" when I just want to turn off the phone. Just the way my hands hold the phone. Still irks me a bit.

How is that when the power button is in a different side from the volume lol

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
How is that when the power button is in a different side from the volume lol

Because when it's in my left hand and I use my fingers to turn off the power, seems my thumb is always on the volume. So the volume is a softer rocker and I adjust the volume.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Because when it's in my left hand and I use my fingers to turn off the power, seems my thumb is always on the volume. So the volume is a softer rocker and I adjust the volume.

Oh yeah I can see how that would make you press the wrong button

jj2339

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I see nobody addressed the person who mentioned aux in for car stereo connectivity. My old vehicle didn't have BT stereo, so I used an aux-in for audio and charged via the Lightning portal so I could use gps. This is probably the biggest use case for charging and listening to music while using gps at the same time. Now my jeep lets me use BT so that won't be an issue, but we travel a lot and use rental cars, so when we are doing that in the future, that is no longer possible. This totally puts any future iPhones out of consideration for me, I can't be in the middle of nowhere and have my gps fail because the phone dies.

By dropping the jack, they have removed something without truly adding anything of value. I guess they have stereo speakers now, but shoot, I remember when htc had their boomsound speakers how dismissive Apple fans were at stereo on a phone. Course now it's a bold move fwd.

I get that Apple can't satisfy all constituents, but this change is going to push me back to android. I doubt I am alone. And I was all ready to upgrade to the plus.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Because they removed the head phone jack it was easy to install stereo speakers and make the phone water proof easier and finally get rid of the clicking home button i am happy with what they did

jj2339

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
The waterproofing is a bogus excuse, other phones have jacks and superior waterproofing scores.

To me it's a cash grab to get more beats Bluetooth sales, and lightning proprietary charges on manufacturers using that port.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox