What is this?

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
One thing for sure, change will always be a part of advancing technology. You can adapt or not. This too will pass.

This is so true ... I remember the pitchforks and torches coming out when Apple switched to the lightning port in the first place. That turned out to be one of the best moves ever if you ask me. Nobody died because Apple did away with the 30 pin connector, everybody coped, and life went on...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm just saying that I am not going to get a new iPhone and the offerings, including the OS updates have been lame this year. Probably would've been better received had it been USB C instead of lightning. :p Like I said I'm not here to stir fights, I'm just questioning what everyone else just willingly accepts from Apple.

I understand that, but it's NOT a mere willingness to accept. Many of us simply like what was introduced and are unaffected by the lack of an earphone jack. It's not being a lemming or sheep. We either like it or we don't. We will either buy it or we won't. Some people tend to forget those simple facts when they come across others who don't feel the same way as they do.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
One thing for sure, change will always be a part of advancing technology. You can adapt or not. This too will pass.

This is so true ... I remember the pitchforks and torches coming out when Apple switched to the lightning port in the first place. That turned out to be one of the best moves ever if you ask me. Nobody died because Apple did away with the 30 pin connector, everybody coped, and life went on...

Exactly. It wasn't much different in rhetoric, just different faces.

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm not trying to start fights or anything, but I can't understand how people are just eating this up...

I'm not eating it up. The headphone jack was just the least used function on my phone. The adapter doesn't bother me too much because they included it in the box. I'm personally excited to see the new taptic feedback and home button. Typically when I do use headphones I use the ones apple sent with the phone anyways. I have Bluetooth and USB media in my car so it's not as much of an issue for me as it may be for someone else who doesn't have those options.

Skatophilia

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Amen, I hate when I see folks driving with headphones on!!! Being a motorcyclist, I have had more close calls from young folks texting and listening to music with headphones while driving. I am for having a large on the spot ticket with points for the violators.

I saw someone doing a crossword while driving in California once, and another one using her knees to steer while she eat oatmeal. That was interesting

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I do think it is odd the number of items that are claimed to have filled that space. Moar camera, 14% moar battery, haptic feedback virtual home button...

How large were the jacks Apple was using? o_O

Honestly, I can see both sides of this issue.

What I can't see is the "Courage." That smells like something dropped out of the south end of a north bound horse. It's hardly courage to set yourself up with more profit potential.

ekneeiphone

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Good point. However, I can't tell you how many times I see people wearing Apple EarPods with a iphone in their hands while driving. A double no no . Not much better than having phone in one hand to their ear while driving and not using speakerphone.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Good point. However, I can't tell you how many times I see people wearing Apple EarPods with a iphone in their hands while driving. A double no no . Not much better than having phone in one hand to their ear while driving and not using speakerphone.

Ok. I apologize. Glad to hear!

What posts are you replying to? Using the quote option helps keep it all clear for the readers. :)

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm not eating it up. The headphone jack was just the least used function on my phone. The adapter doesn't bother me too much because they included it in the box. I'm personally excited to see the new taptic feedback and home button. Typically when I do use headphones I use the ones apple sent with the phone anyways. I have Bluetooth and USB media in my car so it's not as much of an issue for me as it may be for someone else who doesn't have those options.

Apple is literally advertising a Music service that's supposed to be one of the best on the market. Then they remove the headphone jack. Kinda makes it harder for those people that do want to listen to music or use the headphone jack for whatever reason.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
How much space is inside an iPhone 6 for all that stuff? Battery, camera, motherboard, speakers, earpiece, power switch, volume switch, ring/silent switch, screen, etc.?

If they give a legit reason like they removed it to make waterproofing easier or something that would make sense. "Courage" is not really a reason at all.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If they give a legit reason like they removed it to make waterproofing easier or something that would make sense. "Courage" is not really a reason at all.
I'll leave this here:

courage
ˈkʌrɪdʒ/
noun
the ability to do something that frightens one; bravery.
"she called on all her courage to face the ordeal"
strength in the face of pain or grief.
"he fought his illness with great courage"
synonyms:bravery, braveness, courageousness, pluck, pluckiness, valour, fearlessness, intrepidity, intrepidness, nerve, daring, audacity, boldness; More

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How much space is inside an iPhone 6 for all that stuff? Battery, camera, motherboard, speakers, earpiece, power switch, volume switch, ring/silent switch, screen, etc.?

Look at a teardown. 14% battery alone would account for the space of the 3.5mm jack. Yet "magically" Apple fit at least two more items (in addition to extended battery) into that space if you read their propaganda press statements.

I'm not saying they didn't use the recovered space, but let's adhere to the laws of physics shall we?

The rush to claim "thinnest" is biting consumers in the backside with forced tradeoffs anyway. "Thinnest" might be a selling feature to some, but I hear it as "compromises ahead."

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
It's Apple fitting a new camera, Taptic Engine, bigger battery, and more water resistance into the same sized phone. They removed the only redundant component they could.

In a year or two, no one will remember much less miss it.

Stings real hard now though! That's for sure!

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Amen, I hate when I see folks driving with headphones on!!! Being a motorcyclist, I have had more close calls from young folks texting and listening to music with headphones while driving. I am for having a large on the spot ticket with points for the violators.

It actually is illegal and and a moving violation in New York to drive with headphones on.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73