What is this?

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I will just leave these here...all are good reads and raise valid points.

Better to move the conversation forward, improve knowledge about the subject and of course still have an opinion and rant about it. That is what comments on online forums are all about...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczko...headphone-jack?utm_term=.wn601Lrld#.hg3N2ZDXj

Apple's Phil Schiller says the biggest criticism of removing the headphone jack is 'pure conspiracy theory' | The Verge

The biggest winner from removing the headphone jack is Apple | The Verge

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Amen, I hate when I see folks driving with headphones on!!! Being a motorcyclist, I have had more close calls from young folks texting and listening to music with headphones while driving. I am for having a large on the spot ticket with points for the violators.

I drive with headphones in :^) but I'm cautious so it doesn't bother me. Also I tend to drive when no one is around so it's a win win for me.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey Gravity I see your doing what you do best.

Stir the Pot. Lol

I feel it's definitely time to drop the Jack.  even accommodated there customers with an adapter and the new Airpods have background noise adjustment.

Honestly it doesn't really matter to me I've gone wireless over a year ago.

nb4 they bring back the headphone jack next year and act like they invented wired sound

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
WOW, and Thank You for the thread/topic Ambassador iOS Gravity. I remember a long time ago when I first heard this phrase "If nothing changes, then nothing changes", I really didn't know what that meant at first, but with a little maturity I now understand. I too was taken back when I first saw that the new iPhone 7/7 Plus would be without a "normal" 3mm headphone jack, I thought to myself, "what is Apple doing here", then with a little explanation and a little thought, it actually made sense. The 3mm type jack has been around for quite some time and Apple noticed that and wanted to improve it (as with everything). I really like the way Apple makes things better. Is it better for everyone....not at all.
I remember hearing Steve Jobs saying "people don't know what they want until you give it to them". This is so true in my book. You have the ability to listen to better quality sounding music, so why not take advantage of this using whats already part of the iPhone...The Lightening Connector.
Will the 3mm jack be missed...sure, will we have to adjust...sure....will headphone manufacturers start making lightning connectors on their products...sure...Is this the future/present....sure is.
For me the bottom line is, If I don't like it I move on.
Edit. 3.5mm jack

Last edited:

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
WOW, and Thank You for the thread/topic Ambassador iOS Gravity. I remember a long time ago when I first heard this phrase "If nothing changes, then nothing changes", I really didn't know what that meant at first, but with a little maturity I now understand. I too was taken back when I first saw that the new iPhone 7/7 Plus would be without a "normal" 3mm headphone jack, I thought to myself, "what is Apple doing here", then with a little explanation and a little thought, it actually made sense. The 3mm type jack has been around for quite some time and Apple noticed that and wanted to improve it (as with everything). I really like the way Apple makes things better. Is it better for everyone....not at all.
I remember hearing Steve Jobs saying "people don't know what they want until you give it to them". This is so true in my book. You have the ability to listen to better quality sounding music, so why not take advantage of this using whats already part of the iPhone...The Lightening Connector.
Will the 3mm jack be missed...sure, will we have to adjust...sure....will headphone manufacturers start making lightning connectors on their products...sure...Is this the future/present....sure is.

I remember when I wanted phones to get smaller and smaller, and swore I would never give up my Motorola Razr. But been with iPhone since the 3... and can't imaging what I was thinking! Wacky flip phones LOL

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Technology is moving towards bluetooth/wireless everything, headphones, cars, watches, thermometers, speakers, etc. Why is everyone pushing back so hard on this? We had rumors for the last 9 months of this happening. Apple has forced the consumer to accept change in the past and this is no different. This company is proprietary as hell, and you know that once you get immersed into the ecosystem. You don't like it, you don't have to buy it, the 6S/6Splus has a several years of runway in front of it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I for one want to know why they removed it.
Despite what was stated during the keynote, let's say the answer is "because we wanted to". What then? Is it not their choice to make since they are the creators of the device? As a consumer, we can choose to buy the device or not buy it. We can also complain about it of which some are doing here in the forums. Yet, I predict that 90% of the people who are upset about Apple excluding an earphone jack from the iPhone 7 & 7 Plus will still go out and buy an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. They will still listen to audio with it and go about their daily business, and after some time has passed, they'll no longer be ticked about the excluded earphone jack.
It's the same thickness as the iPhone 6S and my iPhone 6 is still thinner. What did they fit into that same space?
Let's say that nothing was put in that space. What then?

Last edited:

mtcowdog

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
OP has a legitimate point. Apple is Apple, but this Apple is new. We are consumers, supposedly informed. Some losses and gains don't add up to a sale. This is, to date, the hardest iPhone sell I have seen. It screams profit *****, next year is great, but this year is money in our pockets transition. Well, I don't transition. I use my phone. I feel like Apple broke the social contract and decided to give us so much more, technically, with nothing really new functionally or, more importantly, creatively,, for same old pricing. I feel kind of cheated. And yet the competition is tough to swallow. I acknowledge that. But that's weak sauce. Apple's ecosystem is hard to break. Every year I feel frustration with Apple. I want more and based on experience expect more. This interactive version is standard, but it is a year beyond standard. This year I am exacerbated with Apple. You move the bar forward, every two years I buy. That's our agreement. You try to sell me on nothing new, just a little better here and there, and I think the agreement is not in my best interest. In my heart I want to support you, champion you Apple. But you give me more with less, and I don't know what to do.

MonkeyJunky

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
We are watching consumer electronics trend resistance in real time these days because we have 24/7 coverage and discussion outlets via the internet. There's nothing new about people complaining about the "next big thing" in any consumer product arena. The newest car, the newest TV, the newest video game console, the newest smart phone, it's all relevant. We are subject to around the clock scrutiny and praise and this, sometimes, prevents people from using the ol' noggin and taking a breath every once in a while when it comes to rational thought.

The OP presented the question "What is this?" Well, amongst other things, it is the newest smart phone variant from Apple with a plethora of new features focused on what Apple feels represents the largest % of their consumer base. They have plans for the next several years, and some of the choices on this device probably reflect things they will implement down the road.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We are watching consumer electronics trend resistance in real time these days because we have 24/7 coverage and discussion outlets via the internet. There's nothing new about people complaining about the "next big thing" in any consumer product arena. The newest car, the newest TV, the newest video game console, the newest smart phone, it's all relevant. We are subject to around the clock scrutiny and praise and this, sometimes, prevents people from using the ol' noggin and taking a breath every once in a while when it comes to rational thought.

The OP presented the question "What is this?" Well, amongst other things, it is the newest smart phone variant from Apple with a plethora of new features focused on what Apple feels represents the largest % of their consumer base. They have plans for the next several years, and some of the choices on this device probably reflect things they will implement down the road.

'Nuf said...:)

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Edit. 3.5mm jack

I can only imagine Beats mass producing lightning headphones. It would've been way more reasonable if they ditched the headphone jack and used a USB C port for charging and listening to music. USB C is going to be the new standard, not lightning. Lets just forget about this entire headphone jack thing for a second. What did Apple actually ADD to the new iPhone other than the usual camera changes, processor upgrades, and cameras? 256GB isn't that much of a difference, and a darker color option is not even relevant,

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I can only imagine Beats mass producing lightning headphones. It would've been way more reasonable if they ditched the headphone jack and used a USB C port for charging and listening to music. USB C is going to be the new standard, not lightning. Lets just forget about this entire headphone jack thing for a second. What did Apple actually ADD to the new iPhone other than the usual camera changes, processor upgrades, and cameras? 256GB isn't that much of a difference, and a darker color option is not even relevant,

What would have liked to see in the iPhone 7?
Frankly?I can't think of anything.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Despite what was stated during the keynote, let's say the answer is "because we wanted to". What then? Is it not their choice to make since they are the creators of the device? As a consumer, we can choose to buy the device or not buy it. We can also complain about it of which some are doing here in the forums. Yet, I predict that 90% of the people who are upset about Apple excluding an earphone jack from the iPhone 7 & 7 Plus will still go out and buy an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. They will still listen to audio with it and go about their daily business, and after some time has passed, they'll no longer be ticked about the excluded earphone jack. Let's say that nothing was put in that space. What then?

I'm just saying that I am not going to get a new iPhone and the offerings, including the OS updates have been lame this year. Probably would've been better received had it been USB C instead of lightning. :p Like I said I'm not here to stir fights, I'm just questioning what everyone else just willingly accepts from Apple.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure I'm not the only one who listens to music while driving via auxiliary cord plugged into the headphone jack with the phone also charging while he phone is using maps and music.
Sure hope they have some kind of adapter to charge at the same time. That's the only worry I have.

Maybe a ghetto solution would be to use the lighting dock in the car 😂

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
What would have liked to see in the iPhone 7?
Frankly?I can't think of anything.

A battery size that is present in every other phone on the planet. Faster USB C charging, it can charge a phone to about 90% in like 25 minutes. I'm telling you USB C and not Lightning is the future. If they wanted to bring everyone into a new age by removing the headphone jack, then they shouldn't have used Lightning to do it. Now when they switch to USB C in the future, they're going to make a lot more accessories obsolete.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure I'm not the only one who listens to music while driving via auxiliary cord plugged into the headphone jack with the phone also charging while he phone is using maps and music.
Sure hope they have some kind of adapter to charge at the same time. That's the only worry I have.

Maybe a ghetto solution would be to use the lighting dock in the car ��

That dock's gonna cost around $50 just to get a feature that was previously available in other iPhone's for no added cost. Apple's scheming out here. ������

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
One thing for sure, change will always be a part of advancing technology. You can adapt or not. This too will pass.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR