Anybody else looking at both the iPhone 7 and Galaxy Note 7?

robsawalker

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, I've posted this over at Android Central too, as I am genuinely interested to see if anybody else is looking at both the Note 7 and iPhone 7 like me.

The Note 7 will be an absolutely brilliant phone I reckon. I am waiting for the iPhone 7 to come out and will probably buy either the iPhone 7 or Note 7 depending on what the final specs and review of the iPhone 7 are. I hope nobody is offended by this post also talking about the Note 7, but I am genuinely looking at both the Note 7 and iPhone 7 as my next phone - the first time ever I have considered both OS at the same time, which says something I think.

This has been my reasoning so far:

Note 7:

Good bits:

* Fairly comprehensive waterproofing - no worries about getting caught in a rainstorm or carrying your phone in a damp, humid pocket whilst you dry out.
* Wireless fast charging - up until now I have thought wireless charging to be a complete waste of time. I have a Galaxy S6 at the moment and a Samsung wireless charging pad for it, and I NEVER use it because it is so slow and unreliable. However, the new wireless chargers with fast charge look a lot better.
* In addition to wireless fast charging, a good battery life! I have an iPhone SE at the moment, and the battery life is just amazing. If the Note 7 is comparable it will be fantastic. My Galaxy S6 battery is dreadful, and now using an iPhone SE has underlined just how incredibly bad it is.
* That screen - probably the best smartphone screen ever. I think the 'edge' screen is a bit of a gimmick, but having said that, the design of the Note 7 and the way it wraps down the sides looks stunning. As long as it doesn't keep getting accidentally activated by your hand...
* 64GB memory plus expansion - at last, Samsung nails it with super-fast memory and expansion by MicroSD
* Camera - an f1.7 lens, 1.4micron pixels and OIS mean a class-leading camera - can the iPhone better it?
* The S-Pen now has 4096 levels of sensitivity! So if you are an artist it should be a real joy to use.
* USB-C connector - at last.
* Colour: That coral blue and the black versions both look stunning IMHO

Bad Bits:

Well, not much but...

* Iris scanner - not necessarily 'bad' but a gimmick to be honest. Could really have done without that, fingerprint is much more useful. There are so many situations where the Iris is going to be a pain.
* Samsung's memory handling - I haven't heard much about the 7 Edge memory management, other than it is an improvement on the S6 (which was basically pretty awful) but still not perfect.
* Touchwhizz - it really is much better now than it was, has some really useful features... but I am a bit bored of it now and it will still probably lag and stutter here and there - if it doesn't it will be the first phone they have ever built which doesn't!
* Not a vast amount different from the S7 Edge - the Note used to be very different from the S series, but this is kinda like just an S7 Edge with a pen (and retina scan, which I can't imagine many people considering as being anything really useful)
* Price - ?750! Crazy expensive!
* No Android Nougat on release. How long will it be before Nougat arrives on it?
* Apparently still a horrendous finger-print magnet

iPHONE 7:

As for the iPhone 7, well, it's all still speculation at the moment isn't it, but potential interesting points will be:

* the camera - in particular the dual lens one; The camera on my iPhone SE is excellent and Apple spend a lot of time getting the camera right on iPhones; so it is possible they will be back on top here, although Samsung's camera is a hard act to beat. Can't wait to see!
* bluetooth taking over audio duties - this can be seen as both an advantage and disadvantage. For me, it's an advantage because I have been bluetooth headphones for over a year now. My Sony SBH80 earbuds are just superb - I'm on my third pair now due to the use and abuse they have had all over the world. Only thing at the moment is that whilst Android supports aptX, Apple doesn't. With the shift toward bluetooth audio, I am hoping Apple either add aptX or do something comparable.
* improved battery life and screen
* Waterproofing perhaps? Be great if it does.
* Force-touch home button perhaps? The whole force-touch screen stuff is a bit gimmicky at the moment, but iOS 10 seems to be putting it to more good use now.
* Of course, the smoothness of iOS is far superior to any version of android I have used (HTC Sense came close though). But Androids ability to drag and drop films and music is better than iOS (although you can add films and songs etc to dropbox and do it that way now on iOS)

The negative will be it just looks like a slightly warmed-over iPhone 6 (if all the leaks are accurate). That's a shame, but not a deal-breaker for me personally as I will be using O2's 30GB tariff and so get a free 12 monthly upgrade.

I have to say I think android now looks like a more mature phone IOS than iOS at the moment, which looks like it's had bits stuck on, which of course, it has. I was surprised how quickly I adapted to iOS again though, the transition was not difficult for me at all (going from iOS to android when I got a Galaxy S3 took months of pain).

I find myself for the first time completely ambivalent over using iOS or Android. Both OS's are very close now in terms of what they offer the user, and I am happy with either, although will make sure both my wife and I have the same phone OS (especially iOS with iMessage and integration with our MacBooks)

Is anyone else feeling like me? !

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I think I'll stick with my 6s+ this year.. I've tried the Note 3 and Note 5 before, and they didn't last too long before the battery drains out fast and not long after that the performance starts to slow down drastically.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering both. Note 7 hardware looks solid, and the iPhone 7/7+ may offer some of the same improvements.

iOS and Android/TouchWiz both have features and capabilities I like. The iOS 10 changes and new features look compelling and in my view are starting to offer a bit more flexibility and capability that should have been in iOS before now.

Apple Watch + iPhone is a great combination for me when out on bike rides, or working around the house. I've not yet found an equally good combination with Android/TouchWiz and Android Wear or Tizen based smartwatches.

Ecosystem is another factor, as is interoperability. AirDrop and Messages make it seamless and easy to communicate with others on iOS. I realize there are cross platform options, but that requires others to create accounts for apps they don't want. I'm fine with using cross platform apps and the cloud, but for others its too much.

Last edited:

Nanope

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I pre ordered a note, first Samsung since the s3 for me. I have heard the battery gets about 4 hours sot but that can change. Those numbers are on first day drain. I love my 6p but battery optimization is horrible for games or anything other than just browsing. There are a lot of things that bug me about apple. But one of the very big reasons I will stay clear of them is the whole needing wifi for big apps/files.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I am.

I'm likely going to pay off my 64GB iPhone 6S Plus and then get the Note 7 and pop a 256GB SD Card in it. Good for the next 2-3 years. This will almost definitely be the last time I upgrade a phone for the next 3-4 years as there isn't enough in the upgrades that makes it worth it. I will keep it as a backup and PMP.

TouchWiz isn't an issue. I've used an S7 before (very recently), and the version of TouchWiz on the Note 7 is even more refined. It actually looks very attractive. The design is so much more attractive than the iPhone 6 Plus, and likely the iPhone 7 (which will look almost identical). After 2 years of iPhones I am thoroughly bored of having phones that look almost identical to the last year's (or year before that) model. It's also slightly smaller even though it has a bigger screen, and it has a superior camera. I'm not going to upgrade an iPhone just for the camera, as cameras have been find across Android and iOS for a couple of years.

The biggest reason I'm likely to move over is to save money, long-term. Google Play has cheaper eBooks, etc. compared to Apple's ecosystem. Play Music is a better UX than Apple Music, and bundles YouTube Red. ChromeCast and ChromeCast Audio are dirt cheap. You can get fairly high end Android tablets for less than half the price of a comparatively specced iPad or iPad Mini these days, as well. Over the course of 2-3 years, I'm likely to save about $500+ using an Android Phone + Tablet over an iPhone and iPad as my daily driver, particularly when you factor in accessories and content purchases. The prices of eBooks are often very different ($28 on Amazon or Play Books vs. $39.99 on iBooks, for example). Keeping the iPhone is starting to feel like a cash sink beyond the initial purchase of the phone, and the hardware (and the software, to be frank) is too stagnant to keep buying into the hardware at this point.

Also, there is no such thing as "battery optimization for games." The very idea makes literally no sense. Games drain batteries fast. Browsing and Media Playback can give good battery life because you can still get a decent experience with heavily throttled CPU/GPU clock rates and lower screen brightness. Games don't afford you that luxury.

This is why "Battery Run-Down Tests" are worthless, and never indicative of how the device will perform in the hands of an actual person throughout the day.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering both. Note 7 hardware looks solid, and the iPhone 7/7+ may offer some of the same improvements.

iOS and Android/TouchWiz both have features and capabilities I like. The iOS 10 changes and new features look compelling and in my view are starting to offer a bit more flexibility and capability that should have been in iOS before now..

Apple Watch + iPhone is a great combination for me when out on bike rides, or working around the house. I've not yet found an equally good combination with Android/TouchWiz and Android Wear or Tizen based smartwatches.

Ecosystem is another factor, as is interoperability. AirDrop and Messages make it seamless and easy to communicate with others on iOS. I realize there are cross platform options, but that requires others to create accounts for apps they don't want. I'm fine with using cross platform apps and the cloud, but for others its too much.

AirDrop never works for me unless I turn it to "Everyone." I just had someone AirDrop me something and they could not see my phone, nor could I see theirs. I can't even see my iMac on AirDrop (or vice versa) unless I turn it to be visible to "Everyone." It seems completely broken.

iMessage isn't really that big a deal to me now that they've turned it into Facebook Messenger. I'd rather like not having access to it so I am not forced to deal with Stickers, Full Screen Effects, etc. This is part of the reason why I bought an iPhone, so that I could use something similar to Facebook Messenger without being subjected to the other crap they baked into it.

In any case, Google will have Allo and Duo which will work equivalently to iMessage and FaceTime between Android users, so that is not really a reason to stay unless you have other Apple devices (this is valid).

Samsung's devices work as well with their smartwatches as an Apple Watch does with an iPhone. It just comes down to preferences.

I am missing some of Android's flexibility. Like, the ability to just put things on my device (Music, Videos, AudioBooks, etc.) without having to go through iTunes. I also prefer a more "generic" gallery to Apple Photos. I really dislike the Mac App for Photos, and the way it doesn't allow me to drag full resolution video out of the app (downscaling everything to 720p).

Also, in regard to cameras, Apple actually decreased the quality of low light photos moving from the 6 Plus to the 6S Plus, so I am on the fence with them spending "a lot of time getting the camera right." The quality disparity is obvious and one wonders why they decided it was good enough to move forwards with the 12MP sense if the daylight photos were barely better while the low light were noticeably worse.

Am I the only one who fails to see a huge benefit to OIS in the 6/6S Plus over the smaller version?

robsawalker

May 17, 2015
Visit site
TouchWiz isn't an issue. I've used an S7 before (very recently), and the version of TouchWiz on the Note 7 is even more refined. It actually looks very attractive. The design is so much more attractive than the iPhone 6 Plus, and likely the iPhone 7 (which will look almost identical). After 2 years of iPhones I am thoroughly bored of having phones that look almost identical to the last year's (or year before that) model.

Lol, I'm exactly the same but coming from the other direction! Had Note, S3, S5, Note 3, S6... and now sick of touchwhizz, although I agree it looks much better now than it used to. It is also nowhere near as smooth as iOS.

robsawalker

May 17, 2015
Visit site
AirDrop never works for me unless I turn it to "Everyone." I just had someone AirDrop me something and they could not see my phone, nor could I see theirs. I can't even see my iMac on AirDrop (or vice versa) unless I turn it to be visible to "Everyone." It seems completely broken.

- AirDrop is rubbish, agree 100%. Samsung have their own version which is equally as useless

I am missing some of Android's flexibility. Like, the ability to just put things on my device (Music, Videos, AudioBooks, etc.) without having to go through iTunes.

This used to be a really big deal and was one of the main reasons I went to Android in the first place years ago, but I can put stuff on cloud storage now and watch it on my SE streaming or download it, so it's not such a hassle anymore.

I also prefer a more "generic" gallery to Apple Photos. I really dislike the Mac App for Photos, and the way it doesn't allow me to drag full resolution video out of the app (downscaling everything to 720p).

Apple's 'photo' app is utter rubbish - glad I'm not the only one. It's badly laid out, completely lacking in features, and I hate the way it keeps all the pictures in one big library file

sircraig2000

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I went to Best Buy today and played around with the Note 7. Blows every other smartphone away! It's really just sad to see how far behind Apple is in the hardware department. But, for me, the biggest problem is size. It's easy to hold in the hand but how do you carry this thing around? I tried to put it in the front pocket of my jeans but it just looks and feels ridiculous!

I'm really just bored with my iPhone 6 and it doesn't look like the iPhone 7 is going to be anything extraordinary so I guess I'll just wait for the Nexus. The Note 7 really is a beautiful phone though.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Samsungs S Beam works every time, because the NFC Tap forces a pairing between the phones and then it just uses WiFi direct to initiate a fast transfer.

It works, every single time.

AirDrop never works unless you set yourself to be seen by everyone, and even the. It takes forever for your device to show up.

Theoretically it's a superior solution to S Beam, but the NFC implementation is rock solid reliable because it doesn't rely on detection. The process is forced by the NFC gesture.

One reason why I'd like Apple to make better use of NFC. AirDrop could benefit from it.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Samsungs S Beam works every time, because the NFC Tap forces a pairing between the phones and then it just uses WiFi direct to initiate a fast transfer.

It works, every single time.

AirDrop never works unless you set yourself to be seen by everyone, and even the. It takes forever for your device to show up.

Theoretically it's a superior solution to S Beam, but the NFC implementation is rock solid reliable because it doesn't rely on detection. The process is forced by the NFC gesture.

One reason why I'd like Apple to make better use of NFC. AirDrop could benefit from it.

That is your issue, not everyone's. I have no problems with it.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
That is your issue, not everyone's. I have no problems with it.

Everyone I know with an iPhone or Mac has this issue, because I can't see their phones either. Person in next room right now has it set to contacts and I cannot see his phone unless he changes it to "Everyone."

I'm glad your phone is an outlier. Must be amazing!!!

My Mac has the same issue. It's not just an iOS problem. AirDrop is just horrible.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Everyone I know with an iPhone or Mac has this issue, because I can't see their phones either. Person in next room right now has it set to contacts and I cannot see his phone unless he changes it to "Everyone."

I'm glad your phone is an outlier. Must be amazing!!!

My Mac has the same issue. It's not just an iOS problem. AirDrop is just horrible.

Outlier? Lol! Not hardly.

Nanope

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
The note 7 in every way shape and forum blows the iPhone away in looks. I mean it's not even close. But if you want to see how your note will be in 6mo to a year, go read some note 4/5 forums. I cancelled my note 7 preorder instantly. I still think this note will be a touch different, but I'm not going to put a thousand bucks on it.

ogl > cal

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal