Who's upgrading to the iPhone 7?

alex.shimp

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm planning on it but will wait to see what they come out with on the 7th probably go for the 7+pro whatever 256gb version (assuming that's the highest storage)

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately I am a videophile. I know what HDTV is supposed to look like. I have seen what a well encoded HDTV video feed looks like and unfortunately, DirecTV, despite the fact that they are far better than other providers they still fall short of what HDTV is supposed to look like.

If you want to see what HDTV is supposed to look like, grab a copy of the movie Avatar on Bluray and be prepared to have your mind blown. The Avatar Bluray is the gold standard by which all other Bluray discs are measured up against and ultimately fail.

Last edited:

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I don't get phones on contracts anymore just have 4 sim only lines, I buy off gumtree and sell on eBay or to a re sell website, in Australia people get phones on contract and then sell for cash if they still like their old phone or need the cash, phones are not locked to carriers here.
Just picked up a new 6S plus 64gb for $700 retail $1349 so will hang onto it, I won't be paying Apples ridiculous retail price down under, if i want a 7 will wait a month after release and buy off gumtree cheap for cash.
Bought a new Note 7 for $600 yesterday, was so tempted to try it but didn't want to break the seal, sold in 2 hours on eBay for $1195.

Michael#IM

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I really don't care about super high resolution screens. Hell, my computer monitor is still only a 1920x1080 resolution screen and my secondary monitor is only a 1600x900 screen. I don't even have a 4K TV yet and have no interest in getting a 4K TV. Why should I get a 4K TV? So I can see compression macroblocking in super-high resolution? Even the king of HDTV, DirecTV, compresses the crap out of their HDTV feeds to the point where I can see the obvious compression artifacts and macroblocking.

4K, 4K, 4K, I don't care. Come back and wake me up when the codecs get good enough that they don't have to compress the crap out of the HDTV feeds thus turning it into a muddy mess. Most pay-TV providers compress the feeds so heavily I can't even call what they provide HDTV anymore.

That was the way i felt until i held an S7 and S7 edge in my hand. I kinda felt conned by Apple after paying so much money for a phone when i could have had something more premium for more or less the same cash. The problem is not the iPhone itself. It's a good phone but it's too overpriced and hyped when you compared it to the competition. Of course IOS is supposed to be smoother and better than Android but lately IOS is starting to lag and Apple haven't even fixed the annoying camera lag.

guinnkevinr

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I really don't care about super high resolution screens. Hell, my computer monitor is still only a 1920x1080 resolution screen and my secondary monitor is only a 1600x900 screen. I don't even have a 4K TV yet and have no interest in getting a 4K TV. Why should I get a 4K TV? So I can see compression macroblocking in super-high resolution? Even the king of HDTV, DirecTV, compresses the crap out of their HDTV feeds to the point where I can see the obvious compression artifacts and macroblocking.

4K, 4K, 4K, I don't care. Come back and wake me up when the codecs get good enough that they don't have to compress the crap out of the HDTV feeds thus turning it into a muddy mess. Most pay-TV providers compress the feeds so heavily I can't even call what they provide HDTV anymore.

Everyone's got their viewpoints but getting the right tv with today's 4K standards plays a big part and so does having a decent internet connection ($35 a mo, TWC). 4K gaming is mind blowing if you have the right computing set up and 4K/hdr streaming is pretty damn worth it.

I'm saying this to everyone here: Do we NEED 4K iPhones? No way. Would I appreciate advancements in tech and get a higher resolution iPhone? Hell yeah .

Having the option to view higher res media and gaming on my phone would be really nice. I used the Galaxy Note 7 for a week, and I highly appreciated looking at that screen. Crisp, attractive, helped keep me engaged and more excited to browse stuff on the phone rather than sit in front of my computer. Eyes appreciate beauty. Higher res screens help bring out more beauty. If I'm going to pay for content, it's going to be the highest graphical quality content currently available. Why wouldn't I want a higher resolution screen that's able to display that content?

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Everyone's got their viewpoints but getting the right tv with today's 4K standards plays a big part and so does having a decent internet connection ($35 a mo, TWC). 4K gaming is mind blowing if you have the right computing set up and 4K/hdr streaming is pretty damn worth it.

I'm saying this to everyone here: Do we NEED 4K iPhones? No way. Would I appreciate advancements in tech and get a higher resolution iPhone? Hell yeah .

Having the option to view higher res media and gaming on my phone would be really nice. I used the Galaxy Note 7 for a week, and I highly appreciated looking at that screen. Crisp, attractive, helped keep me engaged and more excited to browse stuff on the phone rather than sit in front of my computer. Eyes appreciate beauty. Higher res screens help bring out more beauty. If I'm going to pay for content, it's going to be the highest graphical quality content currently available. Why wouldn't I want a higher resolution screen that's able to display that content?

The problem is there's not many 4K content out there...and the Note 7 has the best screen out there but it?s not only because its 4K. Its everything, brightness, color, contrast, etc.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm a videophile. My eyes are trained to spot even the most tiniest flaw in the encoding of a video. For instance, I can look at a DirecTV HDTV video feed and instantly spot where there's significant macroblocking, crushed colors, places where the video stream doesn't have enough bits to cover the color pallet, etc. I can just look and instantly tell you if a video encode is good, bad, or horrible. Unfortunately in my eyes most pay-TV providers instantly land in the "horrible" category due to simply not having enough bandwidth per video feed.

Most providers can't even do 1080i/p properly and you're expecting 4K to be done? Can we please get 1080i/p done right before we even think about doing 4K? 4K requires nearly 20 times the amount of bandwidth that 1080i/p requires. If we can't even to 1080i/p correctly due to bandwidth constraints how in God's name do you think we're going to be able to do 4K properly? If you answered that question with a "I don't know" you'd be absolutely right.

I have seen some 4K televisions with up-rezed 1080i content playing on it. Good God almighty, it looks horrible. All of the compression artifacts get magnified big time. I don't know how people can stand it, it would drive me crazy. I would be sitting there shaking my head the whole time while watching it pointing out macroblocking and other artifacts all day long.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm a videophile. My eyes are trained to spot even the most tiniest flaw in the encoding of a video. For instance, I can look at a DirecTV HDTV video feed and instantly spot where there's significant macroblocking, crushed colors, places where the video stream doesn't have enough bits to cover the color pallet, etc. I can just look and instantly tell you if a video encode is good, bad, or horrible. Unfortunately in my eyes most pay-TV providers instantly land in the "horrible" category due to simply not having enough bandwidth per video feed.

No offense but can't help feeling bad for you that you can't enjoy a DTV signal without noticing flaws.

guinnkevinr

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
The problem is there's not many 4K content out there...and the Note 7 has the best screen out there but it?s not only because its 4K. Its everything, brightness, color, contrast, etc.

I agree to an extent. There's plenty of 4K content coming out and it's starting to ramp up. I help manage digital media for Ultraviolet Digital Copy and all new content from Wb, Sony and Universal is coming out in 4K digitally. Vudu is slow but steady to release content and now offer Universal titles as well as all new WB releases in 4K.

I know none of this is on mobile yet but I've got to expect it to come one day. It may not be needed today but I definitely want an iPhone with a higher resolution display to handle that content when the time comes.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
But at what cost? What kind of bandwidth is this going to require? We're already pushing our wireless networks to their limits and data is still very expensive. Yes 5G is coming soon but it's still years away and we still don't know how much total bandwidth that 5G will deliver.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I agree to an extent. There's plenty of 4K content coming out and it's starting to ramp up. I help manage digital media for Ultraviolet Digital Copy and all new content from Wb, Sony and Universal is coming out in 4K digitally. Vudu is slow but steady to release content and now offer Universal titles as well as all new WB releases in 4K.

I know none of this is on mobile yet but I've got to expect it to come one day. It may not be needed today but I definitely want an iPhone with a higher resolution display to handle that content when the time comes.
I've held side to side a 1080p and a 2K smartphone which were playing full HD and 2k resolution videos, respectively, and it's hard to see any difference. In such a small screen 1080p is more than enough, in my opinion. It's much more important the contrast, colours, brightness, and especially, battery life impact.

joseph_hewitt

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I'll be upgrading.

I upgraded to the iPhone 6 Plus from the iPhone 5S when it was released, but it was unfortunately destroyed so I bought a cheap used iPhone 5 which I've been using for a few months now. I'll be preordering the iPhone 7 as soon as it's available.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73