Please Apple,step it up.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
-Set default apps for browser, messaging, email, etc.
-File system access
-Ability to download applications, music an files from anywhere and manage them as you please and use them in whatever applications you please.
-Deeper customization options allowing the use of themes, skins and different launchers.

Those are just the ones I can think of off top.
I love my iPhone. But I won't kid myself into thinking it does EVERYTHING Android can do. We all have our preferences. And iOS certainly has it's advantages.
Outside a small group of geeks, most Android users don't do any of those things. See this post for what I said earlier in this thread.

99% of users that aren't geeks don't change a thing about their Android phones, heck... most people don't even change their ring tone for God's sake. Do you have any idea how many people still have the default T-Mobile ring tone? Yeah... lots of people.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Outside a small group of geeks, most Android users don't do any of those things. See this post for what I said earlier in this thread.

99% of users that aren't geeks don't change a thing about their Android phones, heck... most people don't even change their ring tone for God's sake. Do you have any idea how many people still have the default T-Mobile ring tone? Yeah... lots of people.

The question was, "What independence do Android users have that iOS users don't". Doesn't matter how many people use those features. Those are features available that prove there are limits within iOS that don't exist in Android.

But for the record, as someone who worked in wireless, there are a lot of people who make those types of changes to their phones. Zedge isn't one of the top apps on Android for nothing. And unless something has changed, you can't change your ringtone on iOS with Zedge although you can with Android. It was only recently you could even change your keyboard on iOS. When I first switched my parents over my mother was upset that she didn't have Swype anymore. A lot of my friends listen to mixtapes. So having the option to download these mixtape directly to their phones and listen to them in the native music player is great. I really miss that ability. These are features that people enjoy when they know they have them. So I would definitely argue that your "99% of users" statement is false.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Though I agree with your point about the iPhone "just working". That is true. I just always have an issue when people say, "Nobody uses those features". Well obviously someone does otherwise they wouldn't be referenced anytime these conversations take place. Just because the majority doesn't do something doesn't mean the minority doesn't matter.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Then you must be hanging out with a different crowd of people because the people I know are regular people. The people I know come to me for tech advice because they don't know jack squat about a lot of this stuff nor do they want to learn. I've been told by a lot of people I know that they just want it to work. I've tried to explain how you can do something on their phones and they just shove their phones into my hands and say "You do it". Then I ask them... "Don't you want to learn?" Their usual response is "I don't care to learn, just make it work."

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a geek through and through. But for as much as I am a geek and all, I'm satisfied with my iPhone and what it does. I have other people who I know who are just as much a geek as I am (probably more so) and even they are perfectly fine with their iPhones and have a want for nothing. It does what they need it to do and that's what it really comes down to, it does what they need it to do. No fuss, no muss.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Then you must be hanging out with a different crowd of people because the people I know are regular people. The people I know come to me for tech advice because they don't know jack squat about a lot of this stuff nor do they want to learn. I've been told by a lot of people I know that they just want it to work. I've tried to explain how you can do something on their phones and they just shove their phones into my hands and say "You do it". Then I ask them... "Don't you want to learn?" Their usual response is "I don't care to learn, just make it work."

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a geek through and through. But for as much as I am a geek and all, I'm satisfied with my iPhone and what it does. I have other people who I know who are just as much a geek as I am (probably more so) and even they are perfectly fine with their iPhones and have a want for nothing. It does what they need it to do and that's what it really comes down to, it does what they need it to do. No fuss, no muss.

We enjoy our iPhones. And we settle for what they do right and deal with what they don't do. Simple. My whole family, myself included, uses iPhones. The things we want aren't deal breakers. But we aren't blind to the reality that our iPhones don't do everything the competition does. And sometimes we like what we see over the fence. A good friend of mine has the Galaxy edge. Every day I contemplate going over to Samsung. But I like my iPhone as well.

Understanding the difference in devices and the advantages over the iPhone has nothing to do with being "geeky". The problem that most people have is exactly what you said, "They don't want to learn". But once you show them how great these products are, their minds change. I know this because I worked in that environment. And still do, just in a different capacity. Technology is ever changing and people simply need to be open to new things. When I sold cell phones, I sold an older lady on an Android phone simply by installing a different launcher with a Hello Kitty theme. She came in for an iPhone. Showing her something she never knew existed was a "mind blowing" experience for her.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
It's funny, you'd think that I would be the kind of person who Android would be targeted at but at this point in my life I really couldn't care less about the things you can do on an Android. I'm at a phase in my life in which I just want it to work, I don't want to be bothered with having to deal with tweaking this, that, and the other thing. I have to do that almost daily on my Windows PC just to make the darn thing do what I want it to do and not what Microsoft wants it to do. So after all that's said and done, I'm kinda "tweaked out" really.

Yeah, I could go to Linux but I game and game support on Linux is a joke and a bad one at that. GPU performance on Linux isn't nearly what it is on Windows so I'm stuck in the Windows jail and all of the issues that come with it along with Windows 10 that spies on everything you do. I swear to God one day Microsoft is going to **** me off so much that either I'm going to buy a Mac or try my hand at making a Hackintosh.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It's funny, you'd think that I would be the kind of person who Android would be targeted at but at this point in my life I really couldn't care less about the things you can do on an Android. I'm at a phase in my life in which I just want it to work, I don't want to be bothered with having to deal with tweaking this, that, and the other thing. I have to do that almost daily on my Windows PC just to make the darn thing do what I want it to do and not what Microsoft wants it to do. So after all that's said and done, I'm kinda "tweaked out" really.

Yeah, I could go to Linux but I game and game support on Linux is a joke and a bad one at that. GPU performance on Linux isn't nearly what it is on Windows so I'm stuck in the Windows jail and all of the issues that come with it along with Windows 10 that spies on everything you do. I swear to God one day Microsoft is going to **** me off so much that either I'm going to buy a Mac or try my hand at making a Hackintosh.

This is probably why I'm content with iOS. But at the same time there are Android features I would LOVE to have on my iPhone lol.

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

After buying a new laptop that seemed to crap out after my extended warranty expired (every two years) i bought a MacBook pro. Going on five years with it and looking at having it a couple years longer as long as apple supports it. Still just as fast as the day i bought it though i dont really do anything besides watch Hulu and pay bills on it lol still better than any windows computer I've ever had for how I use it.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I'd go to the Mac right now but I'd need to make sure that the Blizzard Entertainment titles that I play would play decently on the Mac. Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, and World of Warcraft are the three Blizzard titles that I play. Everything else I could get by with what's provided on the Mac when you buy one namely the built-in office suite that Apple gives away. I could adapt very easily.

And for those rare programs that I need Windows for I could run Windows in Parallels.

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I'd go to the Mac right now but I'd need to make sure that the Blizzard Entertainment titles that I play would play decently on the Mac. Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, and World of Warcraft are the three Blizzard titles that I play. Everything else I could get by with what's provided on the Mac when you buy one namely the built-in office suite that Apple gives away. I could adapt very easily.

And for those rare programs that I need Windows for I could run Windows in Parallels.
I can honestly say that Diablo 3 did not play well for me due to the mouse function although I didnt have an apple mouse. I was using a windows plug and play wireless mouse.

anon(10000748)

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I didnt like that test because its not very realistic. Who opens apps like that? Also the note performs very well considering how its app manager works. Not knocking apple or glorifying a phone I'm on the fence for keeping. It's just not realistic to how a regular human being uses their phone.

IT still shows how Apple refines its OS and allows it to be snappier without hexacores (jk). One of many tests. I was a die hard Samsung guy until I came to iOS last December.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
It still shows how Apple refines its OS
It comes down to the fact that Apple designs the hardware, firmware, drivers, kernel and OS, and app frameworks. This results in Apple being able to marry all of those components together in ways no Android OEM can which results in a highly optimized system. Apple's way is an example of refining and optimizing the software so as to make it as efficient as possible to squeeze every ounce of performance out of the silicon.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I can honestly say that Diablo 3 did not play well for me due to the mouse function although I didnt have an apple mouse. I was using a windows plug and play wireless mouse.

Microsoft Sculpt Comfort BT mouse. Buy one; they're cheap. The end as far as that's concerned...

You can't game well with an Apple mouse. A windows mouse works fine.

Now, I use a Razr Naga (2014) and Tartarus to play Diablo and World of Warcraft. Works fine.

Blizzard supports OS X well in WoW (Supports Metal, now), D3, and SC2. Overwatch is not available on Mac.

I would not buy a Mac if you play those games quite a bit. In order to get decent performance, you have to pay way too much, and even then a much cheaper Windows Desktop or Notebook will blow it away. For the price of the entry level rMBP, you can get an entry level Windows Gaming PC with better CPUs, GPUs, Faster RAM, and a 1080p display... On top of that, you don't have to worry about which apps will run and which games will be compatible.

Macs are amazing productivity devices. In hindsight, I probably should have bought a Windows desktop instead of my Mac. Every since the move from iPhoto to Photos, I've been wishing I had done that.

Might sell it and move back over to a Windows PC. Can probably fetch a pretty penny for it, and that will open up my smartphone options, as well.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
-Set default apps for browser, messaging, email, etc.
-File system access
-Ability to download applications, music an files from anywhere and manage them as you please and use them in whatever applications you please.
-Deeper customization options allowing the use of themes, skins and different launchers.

Those are just the ones I can think of off top.
I love my iPhone. But I won't kid myself into thinking it does EVERYTHING Android can do. We all have our preferences. And iOS certainly has it's advantages.

I do miss the things you pointed out.

Hoping to try a Nexus one day

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
It comes down to the fact that Apple designs the hardware, firmware, drivers, kernel and OS, and app frameworks. This results in Apple being able to marry all of those components together in ways no Android OEM can which results in a highly optimized system. Apple's way is an example of refining and optimizing the software so as to make it as efficient as possible to squeeze every ounce of performance out of the silicon.

Thats the pitch, but today it really comes down to personal preference and ecosystem investment. Performance between IOS and Android is on par. App selection is on par. Functionality, for most users, is on par. The arguments of old are really no longer relevant. One thing is for sure though, it you want cutting edge technology, Apple has fallen behind.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I still like the guaranteed software updates, that alone is the reason why I came back to the iPhone and will stay with the iPhone.

Like I said before in this thread... It does what I need it to do and that's what it really comes down to.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
For me, iphone has been more reliable, but ios is bit boring for me. I have both android and ios so i can swap it whenever i want to. If i have to choose one, i would probably go with ios. Samsung wins in hardware but ios wins in OS.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Thats the pitch, but today it really comes down to personal preference and ecosystem investment. Performance between IOS and Android is on par. App selection is on par. Functionality, for most users, is on par. The arguments of old are really no longer relevant. One thing is for sure though, it you want cutting edge technology, Apple has fallen behind.

Cutting edge technology is still subjective. There still are cutting edge audio playback apps that are available on iOS, but still just not there on Android OS. For example "Pyro" from Serato DJ doesn't have a Android counterpart and the only thing even close to matching the technology of Pyro is an app from Pioneer corp, that requires specific hardware and dosn't support all Android OS, even the latest OS.

https://youtu.be/8EyUx41M3tM

Last edited: