Please Apple,step it up.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
And yes Nexus phones are rather smooth. Actually I found the Nexus 6 to be smoother than my 6+. The 6p is smooth also and I have been on the N beta since day 2. Love my nexuseseses but it's just the battery isnt what it should be.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

I do love the battery life on my 6s+, and battery life is very important to me.

I will probably wait out for this year's Nexus.

anon(9708869)

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Get ready for bad writing ;). I even jumped ship, I just pre ordered a note 7. And I never pre order anything. I'm a iOS fan but apple has truly fell behind. Got to play with a s7 randomly at a bar one day and was blown away. I'll be a lost person for awhile on my note, but I think it's time to move on. smart phones have been around for awhile now and. Much like a child moving out of his/her parents house. I don't need apples parenting telling me what I can and can not do. Also I have a unlimited data plan apple I don't NEED wifi for apps or other big downloads.

I get that Apple is falling behind, but I tried to run away from the Apple farm playing with Androids and keeping them during the 2 week return windows and couldn't stay with them, running back to Apple. The experience IMO is much smoother with Apple. I love the Samsungs and held a Note 7 in the store and debated getting it over the iPhone 7 plus, but Android always kills it for me. I think it's a mess, despite people claiming they are about as good as iOS or better. Can't hang. I hope you enjoy the Note 7.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I get that Apple is falling behind, but I tried to run away from the Apple farm playing with Androids and keeping them during the 2 week return windows and couldn't stay with them, running back to Apple. The experience IMO is much smoother with Apple. I love the Samsungs and held a Note 7 in the store and debated getting it over the iPhone 7 plus, but Android always kills it for me. I think it's a mess, despite people claiming they are about as good as iOS or better. Can't hang. I hope you enjoy the Note 7.

That's what always happens to me too!

Hence why I want to try stock Android with the Nexus, heard a lot of good stuff about pure Android.

anon(9708869)

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
That's what always happens to me too!

Hence why I want to try stock Android with the Nexus, heard a lot of good stuff about pure Android.

I had a Nexus 5x and 6p and it was smoother and less cluttered, but it was Android again. I missed iMessage and some of the cleaner feel of iOS. It may be good for you, though. They are nice phones.

Sicily1918

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I thought Nexus remains the smoothest in the long run due to it being stock?
It absolutely is. I've used Nexus phones sine the N4 (2012) and would never use an Android that wasn't a Nexus. It's the Android version of an iPhone -- no carrier bloat, no vendor bloat. If you've never seen a non-Nexus Android (or really messed with one), the carriers add the most annoying, non-removable apps you can imagine, and so does the manufacturer. In samsung's case, they also add their own launcher (effectively the phone's GUI), called Touchwiz, and it sucks.
It's the only way to Android.
Once again, Samsung's hardware is pretty nice, but their implementation of Android is horrible. Yes, this is my opinion, but many Android users share it, and it perfectly explains your reaction.

Having had said that, I don't think Apple's falling behind... I think most people got used to Apple's mobile dominance that it looks that way, but remember, the mobile ecosystem's matured, thus it's less Apple falling behind and more everyone else catching up. The technology's not here yet for the Next Big Thing? so manufacturers are testing all kinda add-ons to see what sticks and what they can monetize to these portable computers we call phones -- you can only add so many things to them. With that, however, we get what appear to be incremental upgrades.

Also, Android handsets compete with each other as well as the iPhone, so as was said before, they have to add all of these doodads. Funny how none of them become a standard until (and if) Google bakes it into the main Android OS, though...

Nanope

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
What kind of "independence" do Android users have that those of us who use iOS don't?

I really don't have a hour for everything, but the only thing you can really do on a iPhone is download apps from the app store. After using a Android for a few months and than going back to iOS. Well it's shocking how locked down you are. I still like/love iOS but apple needs to put it in the parental control area to let us have some freedom. For me a huge thing is I HAVE to be on wifi for most things to work because apple says so. And the device I just paid 800 for I can't do anything about it.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Some of you may know my backstory but for those who haven't... I spent nearly four years in the Android camp with four devices (Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy s4, Note 3), about two years ago I came back to Apple. Have I looked at Android devices lately? Sure, who hasn't. You want to know what brought me back to Apple (I used an iPhone before I switched to Android)? Support and software updates.

In my book, software updates is a big thing. What use is a device if I have to walk about on eggshells because of some exploit that's not been patched because my Android OEM decided the device isn't good enough for a software update and/or security patch?

I'm a power user and I don't find nearly the same amount of restrictions that some of you have pointed out. Have I adapted to the way Apple does things? Sure. Do I like some of the ways that Apple does things? Yes... and no. If I had come back to the iPhone back when iOS 7 was the latest and greatest I don't think I would still be with the iPhone today but since I came back to the iPhone when iOS 8 was the latest OS it gave me a much better experience. Apple sure as hell has come a long way since the early days of iOS. That's not to say that there aren't things to improve upon but overall iOS has improved a lot lately especially in the "being open" category.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't get people's expectations when it comes to phones. If you look at any other industry there is not nearly the pressure to innovate on such a short upgrade cycle. The automotive industry is case in point, tires, steering, radios these things have been upgraded in incremental steps. For example a car radio still has the basic function as it did in the 50s. Yes they added 8-track capability and then cassettes, CD's, MP3's and finally satellite radio. This evolution took 60 years and I can name far more examples.

Do we expect TV's to drastically change their design every year?

I know the industry has done it to themselves in a sense, as they are the ones who created the yearly upgrade cycle. However I feel like many of us have expectations that the industry simply can't keep up with. Big innovations only happen intermittently.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Samsung phones have come a looooong way since my first Galaxy. I love my Note 5. I love the Theme Store-- I can make my phone look different every day of the week (or month) if I want to. I love the big, beautiful screen.

What I don't like is that it took 8 months to get the Marshmallow update and it will probably be a good year before it gets Nougat, if ever. That combined with the AT&T bloat makes me really appreciate the iPhone (I've got a 6s). I think when the iPhone 7 comes out I'm going to try the plus model. I've gotten spoiled by the big screen on my N5 and now my 6s seems too small. It's hard to leave iMessage too when all your contacts have iPhones!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Samsung phones have come a looooong way since my first Galaxy. I love my Note 5. I love the Theme Store-- I can make my phone look different every day of the week (or month) if I want to. I love the big, beautiful screen.

What I don't like is that it took 8 months to get the Marshmallow update and it will probably be a good year before it gets Nougat, if ever. That combined with the AT&T bloat makes me really appreciate the iPhone (I've got a 6s). I think when the iPhone 7 comes out I'm going to try the plus model. I've gotten spoiled by the big screen on my N5 and now my 6s seems too small. It's hard to leave iMessage too when all your contacts have iPhones!

You'll love the Plus, especially its battery life

Michael#IM

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Yep! The iPhone 7 is going to have something special to keep me with Apple after 9 years. if not i'm buying the S7 Edge. I held one in my hand and that beautiful screen and the phone seemed to have good performance to me... The iPhone is a good phone BUT it should not be in the same price range. It should be a lot cheaper than a proper flagship peice of engineering like the S7 edge.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
@Michael#IM, if you have the current iPhone 6s, keep it. Wait for the next iPhone, the iPhone 8 (or whatever it's going to be called).

Personally I don't understand why people feel a need to upgrade every year. I've had my iPhone 6 Plus for nearly two years. That's the longest I've held onto a device. It makes it easier since Apple still supports it which is better than what the Android camp deals with.

If you have a 6s, keep your money; save it for the iPhone 8 (or whatever it's going to be called). Hell, when I get the iPhone 7 in a couple of weeks I'll hold onto the device for two years, just like I did with the 6 Plus. I just don't feel a need to get the latest and greatest every year. If the software works and the hardware is capable of dealing with what I demand of it, then there's no need to replace it.

Besides... upgrading every year only contributes more to the ever growing eWaste issue we have.

Last edited:

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
And the GS7 Edge will make a stunningly beautiful brick as soon as that first software update shows up. I adore my 6 Plus and I can't wait for the 7. :D

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Some of you may know my backstory but for those who haven't... I spent nearly four years in the Android camp with four devices (Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy s4, Note 3), about two years ago I came back to Apple. Have I looked at Android devices lately? Sure, who hasn't. You want to know what brought me back to Apple (I used an iPhone before I switched to Android)? Support and software updates.

In my book, software updates is a big thing. What use is a device if I have to walk about on eggshells because of some exploit that's not been patched because my Android OEM decided the device isn't good enough for a software update and/or security patch?

I'm a power user and I don't find nearly the same amount of restrictions that some of you have pointed out. Have I adapted to the way Apple does things? Sure. Do I like some of the ways that Apple does things? Yes... and no. If I had come back to the iPhone back when iOS 7 was the latest and greatest I don't think I would still be with the iPhone today but since I came back to the iPhone when iOS 8 was the latest OS it gave me a much better experience. Apple sure as hell has come a long way since the early days of iOS. That's not to say that there aren't things to improve upon but overall iOS has improved a lot lately especially in the "being open" category.
Nailed it. The iPhone is really the only device on the market where sacrifices are minimal for my tastes.

Fast updates
Quality software
Quality hardware

Nexus devices give you two of three (Google still doesn't exactly control the hardware), Galaxy devices give you one of three (hardware only). iPhone gives you all three.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
What kind of "independence" do Android users have that those of us who use iOS don't?

-Set default apps for browser, messaging, email, etc.
-File system access
-Ability to download applications, music an files from anywhere and manage them as you please and use them in whatever applications you please.
-Deeper customization options allowing the use of themes, skins and different launchers.

Those are just the ones I can think of off top.
I love my iPhone. But I won't kid myself into thinking it does EVERYTHING Android can do. We all have our preferences. And iOS certainly has it's advantages.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox