IPhone 7 What will be the "New" Feature ..

TeemuPRKL

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Besides the standard "more processing power, better resolution" updates, wireless charging seems like a plausible candidate - although I'd like to see Apple bring something new to the concept instead of just taking the "put your phone on a puck" approach.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Besides the standard "more processing power, better resolution" updates, wireless charging seems like a plausible candidate - although I'd like to see Apple bring something new to the concept instead of just taking the "put your phone on a puck" approach.
Agreed. The challenge is commercially available technology. Metal still needs to meet metal (more or less) in order for the device to charge, which means that the iPhone is going to have to sit on something. A "puck" or other flat surface is naturally going to be involved simply because the natural resting position is face up, lying flat. If there's anybody who can think of something new it's Apple though!

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wireless charging would be huge. Yeah it's been done, but it hasn't been widely adopted yet. I love having wireless charging on my BB Z30 and it's the thing I'll miss most if I move to iPhone. I plug my phone in less than once a month on average and I'd hate to increase that to more than once a day on average...it will feel like a big hassle.

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. The challenge is commercially available technology. Metal still needs to meet metal (more or less) in order for the device to charge, which means that the iPhone is going to have to sit on something. A "puck" or other flat surface is naturally going to be involved simply because the natural resting position is face up, lying flat. If there's anybody who can think of something new it's Apple though!

My old BB Bold 9650 had metal charging contacts so you could set it in a dock and it would charge without the charging port being involved. Not wireless in the Qi/PMA sense. Again, it still requires putting your phone in a specific place, but I'd say it was a little more convenient than laying flat on a table like most wireless chargers. I think this would be a more Apple approach, as they love selling accessories specific to their hardware.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Wireless charging would be huge. Yeah it's been done, but it hasn't been widely adopted yet. I love having wireless charging on my BB Z30 and it's the thing I'll miss most if I move to iPhone. I plug my phone in less than once a month on average and I'd hate to increase that to more than once a day on average...it will feel like a big hassle.

Wireless charging would be nice if we could use our device while charging. Otherwise, wire charging works just as well.

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wireless charging would be nice if we could use our device while charging. Otherwise, wire charging works just as well.

Wireless charging isn't really technically capable to be used like that. It allows you to avoid ever needing to plug it in in the first place. If you want to go on a marathon gaming/movie-watching session you'll probably still need the cord, but for what I consider normal day-to-day use it really does get the job done. I wake up every morning, and leave work every evening with my phone at 100% with no extra effort than if I didn't charge my phone at all at night or while at work. For me it works great. I hope iPhone users soon get to experience it for themselves :)

reygza

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Redesign for sure, thinnner and lighter; I always hold out hope for a new material like that liquid metal. Screen size and resolution stays the same. Stylus? Nope, we should be going forward, not back. Compatibility with the  Pencil? Possibly. Better specs? Obviously. Probably improved Siri and the ability to use the NFC chips with other Apple products. I think Touch ID will be built into the screen and possibly a virtual home button but I'm not 100% sold on that yet. But I think the differentiating feature will be something none of us have thought about yet, some new way to interact with the device.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Two features I'm missing from my android phone is front facing stereo speakers and quick charging. Hopefully we will see these features on iPhones in the near future. Especially the quick charge feature.

El_NiNo

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Multi window on the plus models will be nice and on iOS.x , an app lock with Touch ID would really make me go kiss Tim Cook

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Gazoobee

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Based on rumours so far, the big tentpole feature of the iPhone 7 will be the new material it's made of which will eliminate the lines on the back.

People who have the ridiculous idea that Liquid Metal is radio transparent, are leaning towards it being the new material but it's actually not, (it's not even a "material" per se).

The most likely bet is Zirconia crystal like on the back of the Apple Watch, assuming they have solved the brittleness problem at least to a degree. Second most likely is a sandwich or other combination of Liquid Metal and Zirconia.

For instance, an iPhone designed like the 4s as a "sandwich," but replacing the glass on either side with Zirconia and the metal part with Liquid Metal would be virtually indestructible and would actually bounce when you dropped it.

Apple also has published many patent in regards Liquid Metal inserts or "windows" in Zirconia crystal and Zirconia "windows" in Liquid Metal chassis'. One of Liquid metal's most important and unique characteristics is that it's a poured material that does not shrink appreciably when cooled, so it could easily be poured into a mould, that contained Zirconia inserts and it would form around them seamlessly.

Still far more likely that we will see a full Zirconia chassis though.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Wireless charging is such a huge gimmick. My toothbrush had it about 10 years ago.

I really want a whole new design plus up to 512 GB of storage. Maybe something like 4 gigs of RAM.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Wireless charging is such a huge gimmick. My toothbrush had it about 10 years ago.

I really want a whole new design plus up to 512 GB of storage. Maybe something like 4 gigs of RAM.

What makes wireless charging a gimmick? Most people, including myself, charge their phones on their nightstands at night. I would love the ability to just set it down on a surface and be able to get at it easily if I need to without having to unplug it. I think it's quite practical IMHO.
Considering the 6s and 6s Plus were the first with 2GB of RAM I wouldn't hold my breath for 4GB anytime soon.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
So are other things that Samsung has thrown at the wall to see if they stick. I like having companies like them around to push the envelope on things because they're things that Apple could perhaps expand on.

Well, I DID say that my toothbrush had it 10 years ago. It's not like Samsung created it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What makes wireless charging a gimmick? Most people, including myself, charge their phones on their nightstands at night. I would love the ability to just set it down on a surface and be able to get at it easily if I need to without having to unplug it. I think it's quite practical IMHO.
Considering the 6s and 6s Plus were the first with 2GB of RAM I wouldn't hold my breath for 4GB anytime soon.

I charge mine flat on my nightstand most nights. Just plug it in and set it down. In the morning it's all done.

shaytoon21

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
youre out of your mind if youre already expecting a redesign. the 6 was their first redesign after ip4. thats almost 5 years of having the same exact looking phone just with newer internals.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR