Apple's next iPhone reportedly ditches the headphone jack

Engadget sports a rumor that the iPhone 7 isn't going to have a headphone jack so Apple can theoretically make it 1mm thinner.

I kind of hope that isn't on anyone's drawing boards.
    I saw a reddit thread where people already had their pitchforks out over this. If Apple removes the headphone jack there is going to be a lot of backlash. That's for sure.
    11-30-2015 05:38 PM
    Based on rumours so far, the big tentpole feature of the iPhone 7 will be the new material it's made of which will eliminate the lines on the back.

People who have the ridiculous idea that Liquid Metal is radio transparent, are leaning towards it being the new material but it's actually not, (it's not even a "material" per se).

The most likely bet is Zirconia crystal like on the back of the Apple Watch, assuming they have solved the brittleness problem at least to a degree. Second most likely is a sandwich or other combination of Liquid Metal and Zirconia.

For instance, an iPhone designed like the 4s as a "sandwich," but replacing the glass on either side with Zirconia and the metal part with Liquid Metal would be virtually indestructible and would actually bounce when you dropped it.

Apple also has published many patent in regards Liquid Metal inserts or "windows" in Zirconia crystal and Zirconia "windows" in Liquid Metal chassis'. One of Liquid metal's most important and unique characteristics is that it's a poured material that does not shrink appreciably when cooled, so it could easily be poured into a mould, that contained Zirconia inserts and it would form around them seamlessly.

Still far more likely that we will see a full Zirconia chassis though.
    12-03-2015 02:41 PM
    Wireless charging is such a huge gimmick. My toothbrush had it about 10 years ago.

I really want a whole new design plus up to 512 GB of storage. Maybe something like 4 gigs of RAM.
    12-09-2015 06:50 AM
    Wireless charging is such a huge gimmick. My toothbrush had it about 10 years ago.

I really want a whole new design plus up to 512 GB of storage. Maybe something like 4 gigs of RAM.
    What makes wireless charging a gimmick? Most people, including myself, charge their phones on their nightstands at night. I would love the ability to just set it down on a surface and be able to get at it easily if I need to without having to unplug it. I think it's quite practical IMHO.
    Considering the 6s and 6s Plus were the first with 2GB of RAM I wouldn't hold my breath for 4GB anytime soon.
    12-09-2015 07:39 AM
    Wireless charging is such a huge gimmick.
    So are other things that Samsung has thrown at the wall to see if they stick. I like having companies like them around to push the envelope on things because they're things that Apple could perhaps expand on.
    12-09-2015 01:24 PM
    So are other things that Samsung has thrown at the wall to see if they stick. I like having companies like them around to push the envelope on things because they're things that Apple could perhaps expand on.
    Well, I DID say that my toothbrush had it 10 years ago. It's not like Samsung created it.
    TurboTiger likes this.
    12-09-2015 03:19 PM
    What makes wireless charging a gimmick? Most people, including myself, charge their phones on their nightstands at night. I would love the ability to just set it down on a surface and be able to get at it easily if I need to without having to unplug it. I think it's quite practical IMHO.
    Considering the 6s and 6s Plus were the first with 2GB of RAM I wouldn't hold my breath for 4GB anytime soon.
    I charge mine flat on my nightstand most nights. Just plug it in and set it down. In the morning it's all done.
    12-09-2015 03:32 PM
    Well, I DID say that my toothbrush had it 10 years ago. It's not like Samsung created it.
    I didn't insinuate that Samsung created it.
    12-09-2015 04:19 PM
    youre out of your mind if youre already expecting a redesign. the 6 was their first redesign after ip4. thats almost 5 years of having the same exact looking phone just with newer internals.
    12-11-2015 12:00 AM
    youre out of your mind if youre already expecting a redesign. the 6 was their first redesign after ip4. thats almost 5 years of having the same exact looking phone just with newer internals.
    The iPhone 5 was a redesign in between.
    wplantz likes this.
    12-11-2015 04:19 PM
    Actually, I would be happy with another iPhone 6s but with a better screen resolution, better battery, more RAM and a better CPU. Not for any reason but just because technology advances as time goes on.

What I don't want is a thinner phone. I always put cases on my phones anyway but I HAD to on my iPhone 6 as I have big hands and I needed a case on it so I could grip it properly without dropping it... *mutters*

I just don't understand this penchant Apple has for increasingly thinner phones...
    01-25-2016 09:27 AM
    Too early to speculate what apple will do yet. hate to admit it but the 1st quarter galaxy release next month normally kicks the new year game of cat and mouse into play. It will be an interesting year
    01-26-2016 12:50 AM
    Looking forward for the solar charging they spoke about
    03-26-2016 01:12 AM
    Too early to speculate what apple will do yet. hate to admit it but the 1st quarter galaxy release next month normally kicks the new year game of cat and mouse into play. It will be an interesting year
    Now that the S7 and S7 Edge are available, did they do anything to move the needle? I don't think they did. Apple will never include a microSD slot, and they've already been making iPhones water-resistant (not water-proof) for some time. I think the iPhone and iOS need to gain features that other phones have had for some time (more/better gestures, universal inbox, more accessible widgets, wireless charging, more energy efficient screen technology, higher resolution screens). I know I'd be happy to see improve in those ways or add these features, even though it's not pushing the envelope in any one way.
    03-30-2016 03:06 PM
    I know we're really really early in speculation and all, but I truly think the home button will be eliminated in the iPhone 8 and not 7
    Totally agree. You have the LG G6 and that doesn't have a home button....
    04-12-2016 10:54 PM
    My hope for the next iPhone would be a mashup of the design of the iPhone 5 and 6 I would love corners that are flatter but still keep the rounded design. Eliminate the home button and allow Touch ID to reside below the screen in thr bezel along with expanding force touch to act as the button in that chin area. Give me ois in the regular sized model. Target iPhone 6s+ battery life for the regular iPhone 7. Give me expanded force touch gestures like the ability to force touch on the wifi or Bluetooth icon to see available networks and connect without opening settings. The smart connecter sound like a great way to implement wireless charging via a battery case or dock. More pro features in iOS so we have ways of doing things quicker without having to jump through hoops. I would love to hide all my apps in a slide out panel and do a diagonal swipe to open the panel and scroll through my available apps. Revamp the App Store it's almost impossible to find a great app. It's time to make notifications smarter they aren't really actionable and Notification Center is a mess. May have said it earlier but force touch really needs to be expanded the uses are pretty basic.
    04-24-2016 06:49 PM
    Please go back to the 3GS body.
    thebizz likes this.
    04-24-2016 06:51 PM
    Please go back to the 3GS body.
    A 3GS style body would be awesome it would allow Apple to go with a stacked/layered type battery the curve on the back felt great in hand because hands aren't flat. it would also allow Apple to get rid of the camera hump and add ois to the regular model. I see a lot of benefits to that style chassis.
    04-24-2016 07:53 PM
    When can we get flexible (maybe even foldable) screens that I see being worked on? If the screen was foldable it could take up less pocket space while still giving a larger screen.

Otherwise make it thinner, lighter, bigger screen, longer battery life. With enough of a longer battery life I wouldn't mind plugging it in for charging.
    05-01-2016 08:35 PM
    I heard the iPhone 7 will have a built in CD player. This will be really great as it will mean we no longer have to use iTunes to copy our music on to our iPhones.
    Steve Adams and JanuarJaguar like this.
    06-05-2016 12:59 PM
    Samsung never even created it in a phone. credit that to NOKIA!
    06-07-2016 06:35 AM
71 123