Callers can hear me but I can’t hear them

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I’m trying to help out a friend with his wife’s iPhone 7 Plus. Symptoms are, when on a call, people can hear her speaking but she cannot hear them. If she uses the speakerphone then everything is fine and she can hear them.

Recently my wife had a somewhat similar issue on her iPhone 7 but the difference was she couldn’t hear anybody and nobody could hear her. She couldn’t use speakerphone either, it was grated out. Turned out to be a major issue that Apple acknowledged as happening to a lot of people and ended up giving my wife a new phone.

With my friend’s wife’s phone though, could it be just an earpiece speaker problem or something else?

Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It’s possible that the problem lies with having a blown ear speaker, but I can’t say for certain. Have you friend tried rebooting the phone or selecting the ‘reset all settings’ option in the device settings?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Use an old toothbrush and gently rub it over the speaker mesh.
I’ve had success with a friends phone by doing so.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
It’s possible that the problem lies with having a blown ear speaker, but I can’t say for certain. Have you friend tried rebooting the phone or selecting the ‘reset all settings’ option in the device settings?

Rebooted the phone and did the following:

On a FaceTime audio call, I can hear the person but the person cannot hear me. If I try speaker, it’s still the same.

But on a FaceTime video call, I can hear the person and the person can hear me.

I also tried recording a voice memo just to make sure the problem wasn’t the same as with my wife as I mentioned originally. I was able to make voice memos.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Rebooted the phone and did the following:

On a FaceTime audio call, I can hear the person but the person cannot hear me. If I try speaker, it’s still the same.

But on a FaceTime video call, I can hear the person and the person can hear me.

I also tried recording a voice memo just to make sure the problem wasn’t the same as with my wife as I mentioned originally. I was able to make voice memos.

Are you EVER able to hear any sound of the upper speaker? For instance, if you play music or a video is there sound coming out of that speaker or just the lower speaker at the bottom of the phone? Just trying to determine if this is a hardware issue (speaker NEVER makes sound) or a software issue (speaker SOMETIMES makes sound but not every time it’s supposed to).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro