Why do people like Touch ID so much?

arc3484

May 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm a little confused on why people love Touch ID so much. I've recently started using it about a month ago when my credit union starting supporting Apple Pay. Touch ID is the most frustrating and inconsistent way to unlock a phone in my opinion. I have retrained my fingerprints thinking it would help and no it doesn't. I will be looking forward to face ID when I upgrade later this year.
32298e5ca5c8246bef6469e213a332ea.jpg

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Touch ID

Touch ID works GREAT on my iPhone 7 Plus. NO complaints. It's very reliable in my honest opinion.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Touch ID was lousy for me. I have very dry hands so it would often fail reading my finger print. If I just got out of the shower or was just washing dishes, it wouldn’t read my finger print half of the time. Face ID has been a blessing to me.

krishnansasikumar

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
Touch ID

Touch ID wouldn't work for me if my finger is even slightly wet. Don't have that problem with my Androids.

A quick wipe off would make it work again, so not a problem for me.

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

I have very dry hands so it would often fail reading my finger print. .

I also have very dry hands and playing drums and bass guitar doesn't help any. I anded up using areas of my fingers almost at the first knuckle and so far is working great.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

The only issue I've ever had with touch id is when my finger is damp. After a quick wipe on my jeans, it will work for me.

violetjune

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

TID sucked for me too.. never used it on my previous iPhones.. but I definitely use FID on my IPX.. it’s works very well even with one eye closed... lol

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I just licked my thumb (yes my hands are dirty, so what) and my Touch ID still worked flawlessly. Now I have to wipe off my button, and still...It works without fail. I've never had any problems.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

It amazes me that with the success of the 5s/6/6+/6s/6s+/7/7s+/8/8+/SE (10 devices) all of which had Touch ID and Apple sold TONS of them, that they would have problems, and continue with 10 devices if it didn't work as advertised. For the small amount of those that had problems I guess FID is great beginning ...GOOD for you.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

As an IT director I end up giving impatient c suite residents and some frustrated employees help. I've noticed some haters change their tune after I give them a little touch ID advice or help.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I’ve noticed TouchID not being as reliable lately on my iPad, however that really only began after I got my iPhone X. I also much prefer FaceID. And I also had to wipe my hands occasionally for TouchID to work.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I don't know either. It was ok on my 6s+ and 7+ as long as I used my left thumb it worked about 75% of the time. My right thumb would work for like a day and then bomb out forever after that until retrained then it would last a day again if that. At least once a day I'd have to put in my PIN to unlock. Definitely glad for my iPhone X and FID. I got a 2017 iPad a few months ago which uses a 1st gen touchID. Wow, that works about 50-60% of the time with the left thumb and pretty much never with the right one.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
The only time I remember having trouble with Touch ID was if I had wet or dirty fingers. I trained the same thumb twice, and it worked most of the time.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I've had users start over registering index fingers and thumbs from each hand. That seems to be a great way to have it work when you grab the phone from a pocket and hold in many ways. I ask them to be aware of the press and tap differences for home screen vs Apple Pay. This has taken people from thinking it is ineffective to useful.

I work with 3 X owners. I see face ID works for the most part but I also see my having those 2 on each hand fingers set up lets me use the phone fast, and I have no problems with helmets, googles, and use during action sports.

I'm not really against or for face vs fingers as many are but I sure get a lot of utility with my current setup. It worked on my 6, and the technology has been as or maybe more reliable - probably just faster - with the 6S Plus and my 7 Plus.

I digress, but the 7 Plus phones seem so good that it is hard for me to rationalize an X when the second generation of face ID may well jump in performance like second generation of touch ID.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711