Why do people like Touch ID so much?

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
It's always worked flawlessly for me. I have 4 prints stored and I've never had an issue. I just started using Apple Pay and that with the reader, almost instantaneous. I honestly cant believe how fast it works.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
This x10000000.

I have NEVER understood the “Touch ID doesn’t work when my hands are wet”. Why should it? Since when are we using our phones with wet hands? I never knew that was an issue because I was always in the habit of drying my hands before I use any of my devices.

I’m a fan of TouchID. Never had an issue with it. I have far more issues with FaceID than I ever did with TouchID.

Dont wet hands make the screen act a bit wonky as well?

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
This x10000000.

I have NEVER understood the “Touch ID doesn’t work when my hands are wet”. Why should it? Since when are we using our phones with wet hands? I never knew that was an issue because I was always in the habit of drying my hands before I use any of my devices.

I’m a fan of TouchID. Never had an issue with it. I have far more issues with FaceID than I ever did with TouchID.

At least once a day I had to PIN unlock with TouchID with no obvious reason (not wet, dirty, etc.) and always within a day of setting it, the thing would flat out stop recognizing my right thumb until I set it again. I spent 2 years using my left thumb to unlock 90% of the time.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I have to disagree with this. Did you try a phone with a fingerprint reader on the back? (Not the Samsung S8, which positioned it very poorly). It's really not "incredibly clumsy and inconvenient". I'm not saying it's better than having it on the front of the phone, but it's maybe as good, and certainly not much worse. I find it strange that Apple didn't include the rear-mounted fingerprint reader on the iPhone 10, so that people at least have the option to use it.

I've only held phones like the Pixel and didn't care for it on the back. The way I use my iPhone would make it having it on the back almost useless. It's like a gunslinger having to reposition his gun and having to get used to the same quick draw.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I've only held phones like the Pixel and didn't care for it on the back. The way I use my iPhone would make it having it on the back almost useless. It's like a gunslinger having to reposition his gun and having to get used to the same quick draw.

OK that's fine, you can of course prefer what you like. For me, I find no significant difference. Others should try for themselves.

The best positioning I ever saw for a fingerprint sensor was neither the front nor the back - but the side, combined with the power button, if I remember rightly. I think this was a Sony device. The front and back are both slightly unnatural or awkward places to precisely put a finger in some situations. I wonder why the side positioning didn't catch on. Perhaps it was more expensive, or didn't work well for left handed people?

Last edited:

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung S8+ and a IPhone 8+. I prefer fingerprint sensor on the front every day of the week. Fingerprint sensor on S8 isn't optimal placed and maybe it would work better if it was placed under the camera but for me front is a better placement. I have my phone in a car vent holder in my car and to have a fingerprintsensor on the back isn't great

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung S8+ and a IPhone 8+. I prefer fingerprint sensor on the front every day of the week. Fingerprint sensor on S8 isn't optimal placed and maybe it would work better if it was placed under the camera but for me front is a better placement. I have my phone in a car vent holder in my car and to have a fingerprintsensor on the back isn't great

You could set up the phone so that it is automatically unlocked, or that it stays unlocked for some time, when in your car. Check out the options under Settings->Security->Smart Lock.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't have high expectations but a phone with the finger print and face for credentials would be nice. I can't help but remember how the 2nd generation of finger print reading worked better and am guessing we'll see a similar improvement with facial recognition.

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
Because we are in a pandemic and Touch ID is a far better option than Face ID in 2020. That is why Apple needs to implement both in all future iPhones. Give the user the option to choose how they want to unlock their iPhone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
All I have to do is adjust my mask to expose my nose for a second to get FaceID to work or to pay with Pay at a retail store. Although it is not an inconvenience to me, I understand others might find it unsafe or inconvenient.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Because we are in a pandemic and Touch ID is a far better option than Face ID in 2020. That is why Apple needs to implement both in all future iPhones. Give the user the option to choose how they want to unlock their iPhone.
To be fair, the OP started this thread in March of 2018 which is two years before the China Virus pandemic. I don’t think the OP had this in mind.

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
To be fair, the OP started this thread in March of 2018 which is two years before the China Virus pandemic. I don’t think the OP had this in mind.

That is correct and who knew where the world would be in 2 years. That is why Touch ID has to come back and be implemented along with Face ID in future iPhones. I actually like Face ID and it does work for the most part. What I think we need are options on how we want to unlock or pay with our iPhones. Having both Touch ID and Face ID would certainly enhance the iPhone user experience.

Last edited:

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
All I have to do is adjust my mask to expose my nose for a second to get FaceID to work or to pay with Pay at a retail store. Although it is not an inconvenience to me, I understand others might find it unsafe or inconvenient.

If you wear protective gloves Touch ID is useless during the pandemic.

And it’s much easier to pull the mask down to unlock versus removing your glove and putting it back on.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73