Why do people like Touch ID so much?

TheRandomDealio

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
The only times I can remember Touch ID not working for me can be attributed to “user error”. I mean...why would I want it to work if my hands are damp or dirty? Don’t we want it to only unlock when it is 100% sure it is our fingerprint?
My husband doesn’t use Touch ID but years of military and mechanic work...his fingerprints are a little scarred and strange so Touch ID has a hard time with recognizing his. Which makes sense.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
For me TouchID is way better than FaceID. Simple like that. I had some minor issues with it on my old 6 Plus, but with my 7 Plus it simply works perfectly every single time I need it. Dirty fingers, wet fingers, dry fingers, doesn't matter. It always works. It isn't true with my X FaceID, although. I think it is simply a matter of mature the technology, as it was the case with TouchID. But right now I'm just sure TouchID is some years ahead still.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The only times I can remember Touch ID not working for me can be attributed to “user error”. I mean...why would I want it to work if my hands are damp or dirty? Don’t we want it to only unlock when it is 100% sure it is our fingerprint?

This is an excellent point! :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had no issues with Touch ID. I have my right index finger and left thumb set. I had to redo the thumb once, but it works great for me. I tried to get my wife to put her fingerprint on mine. But she's afraid of it. LOL She won't put it on her iPhone 7 either.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
People hated it at first. then it grew on them. Over the past 2+ years it's normal. But now it's changing and the circle starts all over again......

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I really think Apple would do great if they kept Face ID and incorporated a fp scanner for TiD in the Apple logo and let people choose what works best for them. Let people use them interchangeably. That’s be just awesome imho.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I am surprised that Apple didn't put a fingerprint reader on the back of the iPhone 10. There are pros and cons to having the reader on the front and the back, but it's much better to have one than not. Anyone know why they didn't do so? Maybe just to keep the cost of the handset down?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I am surprised that Apple didn't put a fingerprint reader on the back of the iPhone 10. There are pros and cons to having the reader on the front and the back, but it's much better to have one than not. Anyone know why they didn't do so? Maybe just to keep the cost of the handset down?

They seem to be very confident in Face ID standing alone.

I disagree with the reader on the back being better than not having it at all. I think it's incredibly clumsy and inconvenient to have it placed there. It's either implemented on the front of the device or nothing for me.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

I disagree with the reader on the back being better than not having it at all. I think it's incredibly clumsy and inconvenient to have it placed there. It's either implemented on the front of the device or nothing for me.

I could see it working if they built it into the Apple logo. That's like the perfect ergonomic spot for it (for me at least) on my X but then you have to deal with things like all cases now need that cut out which really kind of forces a new design aspect on cases.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
I could see it working if they built it into the Apple logo. That's like the perfect ergonomic spot for it (for me at least) on my X but then you have to deal with things like all cases now need that cut out which really kind of forces a new design aspect on cases.

The camera on the X already forced a new design. Adding a cutout for the logo wouldnt have added anything during the injection molding of the cases.

Touch ID on the logo would be the way to go if they want to keep it.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

I have to disagree with this. Did you try a phone with a fingerprint reader on the back? (Not the Samsung S8, which positioned it very poorly). It's really not "incredibly clumsy and inconvenient". I'm not saying it's better than having it on the front of the phone, but it's maybe as good, and certainly not much worse. I find it strange that Apple didn't include the rear-mounted fingerprint reader on the iPhone 10, so that people at least have the option to use it.

@flyinion makes a good point that cases would need to be designed to take into account a fingerprint on the back, but as new cases were needed for the 10 that's hardly a problem. Anyway, any well made phone doesn't need a case.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
This Mate 9 I'm using today has it's fp scanner on the back right near where one's index finger (seemingly) naturally falls when holding the phone one-handed. Seems quite ergonomic to me. With the iPhone X this area would be on the Apple logo. It could definitely technically work but would add complexity and cost to an already unnecessarily expensive handset.

It might also require the device to be thicker to accommodate the fp dohicky. Some would find reason to complain about that.

I think I'd rather them spend their resources perfecting Face ID since this seems the direction they're headed in whether customers like it or not. Make it work when one is lying down in bed, etc.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I think I'd rather them spend their resources perfecting Face ID since this seems the direction they're headed in whether customers like it or not. Make it work when one is lying down in bed, etc.

Mine works just fine laying down in bed? Maybe you're not holding it in the right orientation?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The only times I can remember Touch ID not working for me can be attributed to “user error”. I mean...why would I want it to work if my hands are damp or dirty? Don’t we want it to only unlock when it is 100% sure it is our fingerprint

This x10000000.

I have NEVER understood the “Touch ID doesn’t work when my hands are wet”. Why should it? Since when are we using our phones with wet hands? I never knew that was an issue because I was always in the habit of drying my hands before I use any of my devices.

I’m a fan of TouchID. Never had an issue with it. I have far more issues with FaceID than I ever did with TouchID.