Long story short : I was exhausted from a trip and not paying attention and my iPhone 7 Plus wound up in there washer.
    I did notice it after a few minutes... but it did spend the entire soaking time... soaking.
    I didn’t mess with it, just grabbed it and tossed it in a bag of rice.
    It’s been in there since about 5 pm yesterday.

What are the chances that my phone is ok? I’m scared to check it right now
    11-29-2017 11:38 AM
    The iPhone is in theory water resistant up to a certain level.
    Here is the official article from Apple about the subject: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207043

Your first instinct to put it in a bag of rice was a very good one.

You could take it out by now and see if your iPhone will power up. If you notice anything odd happening with it, you’ll know for certain that it’s due to the water damage.
    Maybe your home insurance may cover it, or not. But it’s worth it to check that out.

Otherwise, there is nothing left to do for you than having to buy a new one.

I’m sorry this happened to you and hope that everything works out okay for you.
    11-29-2017 11:50 AM
    See how it goes after you’ve dried it via the rice. If it works properly, great, but have it in the back of your mind to prepare to purchase a new device.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 11-29-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    Tartarus likes this.
    11-29-2017 11:52 AM
    Just for clarification; water resistant and water proof are two completely different things. Water resistant means you could technically go from the store to your car in the parking-lot in heavy rain and your phone should be fine. With a water proof device there is generally a listing of how many meters under the water the device can safely go before the water pressure becomes too much and the seals give way.
    Evilguppy likes this.
    11-29-2017 12:03 PM
    I hope u have insurance on your phone just in case. I am sorry this happened
    11-29-2017 12:35 PM
    IT STILL WORKS WOOHOO !!! 🥂
    Somehow there was still moisture between the device and the case, I wiped that off. But the phone works. Phew! I did not want to replace it this year so I’m happy
    11-29-2017 12:44 PM
    Just for clarification; water resistant and water proof are two completely different things. Water resistant means you could technically go from the store to your car in the parking-lot in heavy rain and your phone should be fine. With a water proof device there is generally a listing of how many meters under the water the device can safely go before the water pressure becomes too much and the seals give way.
    Amazingly it went through a 10 minute full soak and one spin cycle and then the washer refilled before I realized where my phone was and grabbed it.

And it still works. Wow.
    Sherry_B and Annie_8plus like this.
    11-29-2017 12:46 PM
    IT STILL WORKS WOOHOO !!! 🥂
    Somehow there was still moisture between the device and the case, I wiped that off. But the phone works. Phew! I did not want to replace it this year so I’m happy
    Congratulations and thank you for the update.
    Tartarus and Annie_8plus like this.
    11-29-2017 07:38 PM
    Amazingly it went through a 10 minute full soak and one spin cycle and then the washer refilled before I realized where my phone was and grabbed it.

And it still works. Wow.
    Oh, how awesome is that!!!!!! See, my husband not only washed one of his cell phones, he dried it too. Killed it dead.
    Evilguppy and Annie_8plus like this.
    11-30-2017 07:26 AM
    Uh oh.
    So after I powered up my phone again everything seemed fine until I noticed that my email icon had disappeared.
    I had to redownload and then reset up all my emails accounts.
    I figured ok, maybe the email icon disappears to protect the data, whatever (keep in mind I am completely tech illiterate)
    Again, my phone was working fine...
    But I just updated my phone to iOS 11.2 and the first thing that happened afterwards was my phone froze.
    I’m not sure how it decided to work again but when it did I got a screen telling me...
    “Attempting data recovery”

Did putting my phone through the spin cycle cause this?
    And I guess if data can’t be recovered I’ll need to get a new phone?

This month is turning out ridiculously expensive.
    12-04-2017 11:17 PM
    I washed a 5th Gen iPod Touch. I now have a 6th Gen.
    01-24-2018 01:59 PM
    What a nightmare.... I'm wondering how you're doing and if you had to replace your phone.....
    01-24-2018 02:50 PM
    Oh the Horrors of the Digital Age.
    01-24-2018 03:35 PM
    02-11-2018 10:04 AM
    That’s a bugger.
    02-11-2018 12:30 PM
    02-11-2018 01:26 PM
    Sorry to hear. If liquid got in the device, it could mean issues down the road, as corrosion may set in.
    02-11-2018 04:59 PM