Apple leather case conundrum solved...sort of.

tanknitrous

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi all!

-Been fighting with this forever...I have read on the forums a couple of times how the leather used in the newer Apple leather cases is somehow different. It made sense to me, because I bought one of the newer cases for my 7 Plus and could never get over how slippery it was. I did everything to try and make it LESS slippery. Put oil on it, rubbed it as much as I could, even took a file to it to rough it up a little. It would be better for a bit, but then would go back to being slick again.

-After letting this bother me for a good amount of time, I couldn't stand it. Mostly because I remember past leather cases being so good. Much more grippy but still premium feeling. So, I bought an old 6S Plus Apple leather case and have cut out the camera hole so that the dual camera system isn't blocked on the back of my 7Plus....sure, it looks a little janky, but the OLD leather is SO MUCH FREAKIN' BETTER!

-I know someone is going to tell me I'm crazy, but you're not going to change my mind. The old leather was better. I don't know what they've done to it, but it's changed. So, stock up on them old cases folks!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The leather cases do become less slick over time. Of course you could also treat it with oil multiple times. The difference in the leather is just that Apple switched to European leather.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I know that the leather case is not as grippy as the silicone, but I never had a problem with it being too slippery. It’ll get grippier over time, and I prefer the worn look of it as I use it.

tanknitrous

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I've tried the silicone. Just don't like how it feels, and it's always getting stuck in my pocket, and I just realized I'm whining about this and I'm getting angry at myself.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't know when any change happened. The black leather case I got with 7 plus last year feels great but is getting quite shredded. I have eyed the new grey and eggplant versions.

My biggest concern is over a few phones now, black has aged best.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I've tried the silicone. Just don't like how it feels, and it's always getting stuck in my pocket, and I just realized I'm whining about this and I'm getting angry at myself.

Give the leather some time, and hopefully it’ll be grippy enough for you.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Give the leather some time, and hopefully it’ll be grippy enough for you.

They all seem to get a decent feel. My only issue is they don't all age with a look that appeals to everyone.

My experience has been black is best over time. I wonder about the new grey just to be different.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
They all seem to get a decent feel. My only issue is they don't all age with a look that appeals to everyone.

My experience has been black is best over time. I wonder about the new grey just to be different.

The darker colors tend to age better than the light IMO.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

True.
I’m one of those people that appreciates it when it looks worn.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods