Android to iPhone - New 7Plus User

NightOrchid

Sep 10, 2017
Visit site
Hi All

Just bought my first iPhone (the 7 plus) and I love it so far.. Being a mainly Media guy, I bought it for the Stereo Speakers and excellent camera, which Im happy to say, are both better than I expected :).

Ive always owned Android phones and owned EVERY single one.. including the S8 / Huawei P10 plus/ OP5 / Pixel XL and my last one being an HTC U11, but there lies the reason i changed. Every Android phone ive ever owned ive never really been happy with because theres always been something wrong with it out-of-the-box.

For SS, their cameras (SONY vs ISOCELL sensors) and their touchWiz UI took 2 or 3 updates to work as advertised, the Pixel, HTC and LG, amazing hardware but they are quite bland OOTB, so in order to make the best of Android, you have to customise it all and pretty much download an app if you want Anything decent on your phone and all have awful Memory and Battery management

With an iPhone, its about simplicity and, its not that im lazy and i want someone to do it all for me, but sometimes its nice just to have an app already there that does what i want, plus I like IOS 10.. with its 3D Touch, 2 great Notify centres (bottom and top), and great battery life, but best of all... good security, which after the DDoS attacks causing Google to remove 300 apps from the app store and Constant ads everywhere.. I just got fed up of it all.

Dont get me wrong, Im not bashing Android.. and Iphones arent perfect.. the lack of a headphone jack, 1080p screen, No SDCard support and being forced to use iTunes.. are all not the best, but i can live with these, because they dont affect the day-to-day usage or the functions of the phone itself (except SDCard).

Ive only had my 7+ for 2 days now, so Im still "honeymooning" it, but its a breath of fresh air, and i do still like aspects of Android.

Lets see how I get on :)

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I went to iPhone and the 7+ in January as well. It's a great OS and device. Battery life is insane on this thing. Reminds me of my old blackberries.

NightOrchid

Sep 10, 2017
Visit site
Hi Jude526, grover5... did you both come from Android or do you still own an Android?

What is your favourite aspect of IOS?.. Yeah, Ive got to admit.. the battery life is amazing.. Today I took about 20 photos w/HDR, listened to about 90 mins of music, sent roughly 40 txts and read IOS News and only lost about 25% of battery.. Im amazed.. but it just runs soo smooth and without a glitch, although now under "Nought" Androids are really smooth too, even SS have improved TouchWiz.

For me, HTC U11 was the Android version of the 7+ (without the zoom lens), but HTC Sense has become quite bland as they push more towards Stock Android.. but I even find the speakers on the 7+ fuller and rounder sounding than the U11. Also, now i can download a Manual Camera app on 7+ which has always kept me away from iPhones..

Its a great phone and a nice change :)

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

I'm test driving the new iOS 11 on all of my iDevices, and all I have to say, and not in a bad way, is don't get extra used to iOS 10 as the new update is really going to fine tune a lot of things and adjust a few things that you listed as liking.

If you have any questions, or want to chat about the phone feel free to! We love new people!

bowlman123

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
I just switched back to my IPhone 7 after using many Android phones. My latest was the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus, its a great device but for some reason I just prefer IOS. I guess it's because of its simple approach to handling things. S8 is now up for sale.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I went from an Android user to iOS when the 7+ was released. So far I love it.

Here's what I like

Apple Watch-Amazing and smooth. I had the Huawei watch and I thought it was ah rest device but I tried to go back to it and it was terrible.

Apple Ecosystem-Love it so far. Everything just syncs. No file structure but Apple uses iCloud Drive and that makes syncing much easier.

No bloat ware!!!

But Apple still has its flaws. Back to file structure. Apple uses pages and so on instead of keeping it a .docx format.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iOS! I'm a former android user of 3 years converted May 2017 to 7+. The best part about iPhone is things just work, my experience anyway. Zero regrets coming from a 6P, and a G4/S6/Nexus5 before it....I have no intentions of going back to android (yet). Enjoy your new device!

egrier65

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm an Android convert also. I used to be on the "I hate Apple" bandwagon. I just got fed up with the battery life and the constant tweaking of my phones to get them to do what I wanted. I first got an iphone 6 plus and could not believe the difference I got in battery life versus my Androids. I now own a 7 plus and absolutely love it! The dual speakers are a major win. The biggest gripe I have with Apple is the lack of SD card support but, with cloud storage I'm good with it. Like posters above me have said, the phone just works and works well.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore and Congrats on your new iPhone. I left Android years ago, from a Note 3 to a iPhone 5s. Each platform has its pros and cons, but for everyday use, I find the iPhone to be more efficient for the way I like to use my device(s). Enjoy the site.

rm05

Aug 16, 2017
Visit site
I came back from Android just a month ago and the switch was everything I was hoping for. The 7+ has been slick and efficient -- it just worked pretty much out of the box. It's proved the perfect device for me. I never truly got on with Android and its issues such as power management. All the Android phones I had felt quite poorly designed and engineered in too many ways, making them less enjoyable to own and use. I wouldn't want to go back.

NightOrchid

Sep 10, 2017
Visit site
Just been away a couple of days and come back to all these really great welcomes, so thanks everyone for making me feel right at home. I must admit, its not quite as steep a learning curve as I thought, the biggest thing Ive learned is the difference between “No Mobile data” and “Background App Refresh” on an app can mean the difference between 30MB to 3MB a day, Im talking of the Apple News/RSS app, which is a data hog if your not careful.

I do have to say again though.. the battery life is amazing on the 7+, seriously.. yesterday, I had a 40 min phone call, took 8-10 pics, read the News for about 30 mins and listened to about 1 hr of music through the excellent speakers… and I only drained about 30% of battery.. Wow, Iam stunned and really happy, although I have just ordered a 12W ipad charger, which ive read charges in half the time.

I do miss the SDCard and having my music in flac, also Im not the biggest fan of everything being or going through iTunes, but its not even an issue, because this doesn’t affect the day-to-day running of the 7+, I just love the way it works so smooth and fluid.. with no glitches or lags.. It just works

I just wish Ide switched a year ago. In the UK we have a trade-in store called CeX.. and GAME.. and I think Im their best customer, hehe.. because ill admit Ive bought and sold many Android phones in order to find a one I like and fits my needs, I never did, but I think the 7+ could be it .

To me though, Android, IOS and even Windows Phone, which a lot people still bash, all have their strengths and weaknesses, but, so far, the 7+ is fantastic, and yes, ill be asking many questions and will probably need help:)

Thanks again for the warm welcome folks :)

bazn

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded 2 weeks ago from  iPhone 6 Plus to 7 plus mainly for camera based reasons and battery power! I like taking shots off my iPhone ! And I'm at the min slowly tailing it to my needs and tweaking things here and there. How ever this handset is a great daily driver. And I'm always happy to hold off from getting the new handsets the minute they are out mainly for cost reasons there! I've been with  for years and I'm well happy as follows what I own iPhone
3GS
4S
5S
6plus
7plus
 Tv 3rd gen
 tv 4th gen
 MacBook Pro!
iPad retina
iPad 3rd gen
iPad Air
iPad Pro 9.7
IPOD shuffle
IPOD Nano
IPOD touch
 watch 1st gen
 watch Nike +

Wow ok saying all this I've worked hard for over the years and I'm lucky to have it all. For me if I've had any problems with the gadgets side not working  have always reassured me they will do everything thing they can in they power first to fix it or they said they will replace! Which I've needed a replacement once the customer service is outstanding! I hope your extremely happy and you stay with  and I don't think you be let down! @NightOrchid

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Hi Jude526, grover5... did you both come from Android or do you still own an Android?

What is your favourite aspect of IOS?.. Yeah, Ive got to admit.. the battery life is amazing.. Today I took about 20 photos w/HDR, listened to about 90 mins of music, sent roughly 40 txts and read IOS News and only lost about 25% of battery.. Im amazed.. but it just runs soo smooth and without a glitch, although now under "Nought" Androids are really smooth too, even SS have improved TouchWiz.

For me, HTC U11 was the Android version of the 7+ (without the zoom lens), but HTC Sense has become quite bland as they push more towards Stock Android.. but I even find the speakers on the 7+ fuller and rounder sounding than the U11. Also, now i can download a Manual Camera app on 7+ which has always kept me away from iPhones..

Its a great phone and a nice change :)

I left Android and being a many years diehard Samsung customer. Just got over it and all the issues I had been having.
Switched completely over to Apple in all my devices. I am pleased with everything. I do miss SD card and the Spen . But am getting used to it.
Security and phone and devices running great. Updates in a timely manner. These are reasons to stay.

rm05

Aug 16, 2017
Visit site
I am not a fan of SD memory on phones, after the card in my HTC corrupted itself without warning. Fortunately I only lost music. I read one article recommending people to use their SD as the default location for photos -- thankfully I didn't take their advice... Heard it's quite a common problem with SD memory. I certainly would not trust it again on a device.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods