So, my brother called me today

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
My company prefers Apple. All upper management uses iPhone for their business phones.

My company issues iPhones to field management and above strictly for appearances sake. This has been stated by many upper management, including the president of the company himself. My issues iPhone sits in my car so that I don’t use my data streaming music on the road.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I would say android is pretty secure overall I don't have any concerns with it from what prospective...my issue with it is more related to its optimization with specific hardware

I’ve had no security concerns with any Android device I’ve used.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I’ve had no security concerns with any Android device I’ve used.

Back in the S3, even up to S5 things were pretty insecure for android. Only until they invested full security support for apps is when I noticed a positive change for the platform. Before then you had to be very careful what apps you downloaded.

Also I had to factory reset after any major upgrade with android, but never used a pixel. It had to be done on my nexus 5, 6P, lg G4 and Samsung S6. Never once have I had to do it with an iPhone yet.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Back in the S3, even up to S5 things were pretty insecure for android. Only until they invested full security support for apps is when I noticed a positive change for the platform. Before then you had to be very careful what apps you downloaded.

Also I had to factory reset after any major upgrade with android, but never used a pixel. It had to be done on my nexus 5, 6P, lg G4 and Samsung S6. Never once have I had to do it with an iPhone yet.

My experience as well. Being sick and tired of factory resets on my androids helped push me to try the 7+.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Not agreeing or disagreeing. But could you provide specific examples regarding "more security scares" on iOS than Android? Kind of a blanket statement to make. I wouldn't make it in favor of either OS.

Android tends to have more low kernel exploits and apple tends to have a lot more of high kernel exploits(something like that).androids fragmentation just makes that worse. Reason why I said apple has more scares is because  products are just more valuable. Apple pays upwards of half a mil for a exploit so people will try harder to find exploits on apple. Back some months ago apple had over 900 exploits in its OS and google had over 6/700.

Some instances within the past year: siri bypass, password bypass, activation/icloud lock bypass, public WiFi hack, apps with malicious code(some which are still in app store). With Google it's mostly just malicious apps and the public WiFi hack as well but that got patched months ago.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I actually like as this had been mentioned that I did not expect this post to get such impactful replies and opinions. Greatly enjoy this community. You are all the best. My younger brother is set in his ways and I am too for the most part. But my bad experience just made me make the switch. My brother's IT guy made the switch ! And he is really pushing my brother to make it as well. But he is stubborn and I hope he holds off on his upgrade so he can play with both and then make his decision. I have told him I am really pleased and I was skeptical. I do miss being able to customize on some things but am getting used to it. It is the music part and will admit, Android is easier on that LOL. I will definitely inform what he chooses to do. He does sometimes listen to me. I started out in Blackberry with the Tour and he followed, then moved to Samsung and the all the notes...he followed. LOL. Maybe he will to apple
I sold wireless a few yrs back and he did listen to me back in the day.
Thanks everyone

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't think there's much of a doubt, because of it's open nature, that Android is more vulnerable to attacks. That being said, both are pretty secure these days and it generally comes down to users either not upgrading their software or downloading things they shouldn't. Neither can prevent that.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't think there's much of a doubt, because of it's open nature, that Android is more vulnerable to attacks. That being said, both are pretty secure these days and it generally comes down to users either not upgrading their software or downloading things they shouldn't. Neither can prevent that.

EXACTLY this. I would like to add...ANYTHING can be hacked.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Android tends to have more low kernel exploits and apple tends to have a lot more of high kernel exploits(something like that).androids fragmentation just makes that worse. Reason why I said apple has more scares is because  products are just more valuable. Apple pays upwards of half a mil for a exploit so people will try harder to find exploits on apple. Back some months ago apple had over 900 exploits in its OS and google had over 6/700.

Some instances within the past year: siri bypass, password bypass, activation/icloud lock bypass, public WiFi hack, apps with malicious code(some which are still in app store). With Google it's mostly just malicious apps and the public WiFi hack as well but that got patched months ago.

Apple patches anything comes along pretty quick in updates. If you're jailbroken or don't otherwise update, you put yourself at risk. I'm still on 10.1.1. I'll take the risk for now.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Apple patches anything comes along pretty quick in updates. If you're jailbroken or don't otherwise update, you put yourself at risk. I'm still on 10.1.1. I'll take the risk for now.

I'm on 10.1.1 as well as jailbroken, I'm aware of the risks of staying lower. I don't use public WiFi if I'm out and there's a lot of people in that area and I don't use malicious apps or pirate tweaks or click phisy links. It's not hard to do said things

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

Interesting. The DOD people I know who have issued phones are all Samsung Galaxy models. I’m sure DOD requires more security than CPB. Of interest though are the iPads that are issued for Electronic Flight Bags. They’re not allowed to have their official .mil email addresses on the iPads my Uncle, who’s an Air Force pilot, told me.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Interesting. The DOD people I know who have issued phones are all Samsung Galaxy models. I’m sure DOD requires more security than CPB. Of interest though are the iPads that are issued for Electronic Flight Bags. They’re not allowed to have their official .mil email addresses on the iPads my Uncle, who’s an Air Force pilot, told me.

I was told last night DHS uses iOS devices. I don't rank enough to use an issued one.

nickx91

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
If he's an Android person chances are he wouldn't like the iPhone because the both the operating systems are different from one another. iPhone is much stable and easy to use OS while Android is much more complex in its functionality.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
2nd Line Sups, liaison and *** kissers. Lots of those in government.

I’d have figured CBP would have issued all officers a phone like several other LE agencies strictly because of their work.

The government isn’t the only one with *** kissers, but it seems that the ones in the government are safer than in the private or corporate worlds.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Funny I’ve never had to factory reset my Pixel XL, ever. I’ve had to reset my iPhone 7 Plus at least three times after updates. Battery drain is an issue on my 7 Plus, but I’ve never had any battery issues on my Pixel XL. Keep on drinking tthat Kool-Aid though!

Yeah when I had the Pixel, I didn't have any updates that increased battery drain, aside from one update. On iOS though, I hate that an update can bring that so easily.

I'm on 10.1.1 as well as jailbroken, I'm aware of the risks of staying lower. I don't use public WiFi if I'm out and there's a lot of people in that area and I don't use malicious apps or pirate tweaks or click phisy links. It's not hard to do said things

This. I wish that I was jailbroken though but I missed the window.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah when I had the Pixel, I didn't have any updates that increased battery drain, aside from one update. On iOS though, I hate that an update can bring that so easily.

Yeah, I miss my Pixel XL. I’ve noticed the battery drain on my 7 Plus getting worse and worse.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR