Camera app access needs improving Apple

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I enjoy tinkering with Android phones, but always seem to end up back with my iPhone(s) after a while. I just end up liking the hardware/software experience more.

That being said, of all the improvements I wish Apple would implement, at the top of my list would be an easier, quicker way to open the camera app. I just spent several days in a wet environment and trying to open my 7 Plus camera consistently was a royal pita because of the fingerprint sensor. It doesn't play well with wet fingerprints. It's also not the greatest in the cold while wearing gloves.

All the Android phones I've tried have NAILED the camera opening experience. Whether it's a quick double push of the power button (Samsung), or a flick of the wrist (Moto), a squeeze of the phone sides (HTC), the camera opens quickly and without issue. Wet, dry, hot, or cold. Doesn't matter.

Any legit reason Apple cannot implement one of these features as well? I can't imagine a double press of the power button to open a camera app is a patented action. Hopefully the iPhone 7S, 8, or whatever the hell it will be called, makes an improvement in that area.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You do not have to press the home button to access the camera, depending on your iOS version. You can simply press the power button and then swipe left on the home screen. If that’s still a PITA for you, well, I hope an even more simple way to access the camera will be available soon....

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You can access the camera from Control Center as well (swipe up from the bottom of your screen and tap the camera icon).

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
...My question still stands though, is something like a quick double press of the power button a patented action?
I don’t know.
Is there any reason Apple can not implement such a simple thing?
Maybe, maybe not.
All those ways still involve more than one action.
True, but you appear to be the only person it’s affecting thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
You can also access the Camera app by swiping left on the lock screen.

Yup this is what I did, just got back from a hiking trip where we did swim a lot and get some great photos this feature worked great. But getting access to your phone by unlocking it, ya wet hands doesn't work at all.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If opening the camera with your fingers doesn’t work, simply say ‘Hey Siri, Open camera’ and she will happily oblige.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I guess it's too difficult to admit others do it better. Two clicks of a power button, and the camera opens. Lightning fast, no matter what the conditions are. It's a better system than what Apple offers and nobody has given a reason why it can't be implemented, which is really all I was looking for. (The Siri method is awful btw. Unless you're not in a hurry to capture a quick photo. "Hey Siri." Pause, pause, beep, beep. "Open camera." Moment gone.) Also, try using all the other Apple methods with gloves on in the cold. And I'm not talking special phone gloves. It's impossible. Know what can be done with gloves on? Clicking a power button. Anyway, hope Apple is looking into it.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It has nothing to do with better or not.
I don’t like all those rings and bells on my phones.
Most android devices still have a dedicated camera button and I hate it. Every time I pick up a friends android device I accidentally open the camera.

I’m content with how Apple has implemented it.
Like others have said, there are three ways to open it on the screen and one with voice.
It took me 1 second to open the camera with a voice command.
The Netherlands is a rainy country and even then I’m taking loads of photos, on sunny and rainy days. I haven’t even once run in the issues you mention.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I guess it's too difficult to admit others do it better. Two clicks of a power button, and the camera opens. Lightning fast, no matter what the conditions are. It's a better system than what Apple offers and nobody has given a reason why it can't be implemented, which is really all I was looking for. (The Siri method is awful btw. Unless you're not in a hurry to capture a quick photo. "Hey Siri." Pause, pause, beep, beep. "Open camera." Moment gone.) Also, try using all the other Apple methods with gloves on in the cold. And I'm not talking special phone gloves. It's impossible. Know what can be done with gloves on? Clicking a power button. Anyway, hope Apple is looking into it.

I'm an Apple user. But the responses you're getting are Apple apologist responses. Other companies do it better. Plain and simple. For a company so focused on cameras and photos, one would assume that they would want their camera to be able to be opened as quickly as possible. A double press of the home button or power button can take place in your pocket and be active before you even get your phone out. You're not a man on a deserted island. I'm right here with you.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Apple is often not the first or even the best at implementing certain things, but what they do, they tend to do well. Apple, just like any other company knows that it will never be able to please everyone. That’s just how it is. If a company creates a mechanism that allows the easiest access to the camera, kudos to them. What those of us here at iMore try to do is to help people make the most of what they have - in this instance, an Apple iPhone and thus the reason for the answers you’ve been given. It has nothing to do with not admitting this or that. The iPhone does not currently have the kind of access to the camera function that you desire. Why? We do not know, but I recommend you submit your request/inquiry directly to Apple via the following link, if you’d like.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm an Apple user. But the responses you're getting are Apple apologist responses. Other companies do it better. Plain and simple. For a company so focused on cameras and photos, one would assume that they would want their camera to be able to be opened as quickly as possible. A double press of the home button or power button can take place in your pocket and be active before you even get your phone out. You're not a man on a deserted island. I'm right here with you.

Apple apologist responses? I don't think anyone has said the solution we have works better than the alternative, but just stating it works for us. If I had the option to double press the power to launch camera then great, but to some of us maybe it's not an end all be all feature we need. Yes sure having the camera ready before needing to wake it up or pull it out and wipe to the left is nice to have, but that extra second never broke my experience yet. But I guess I'll be deemed someone who is defending iOS so I'll leave it at that.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Apple apologist responses? I don't think anyone has said the solution we have works better than the alternative, but just stating it works for us. If I had the option to double press the power to launch camera then great, but to some of us maybe it's not an end all be all feature we need. Yes sure having the camera ready before needing to wake it up or pull it out and wipe to the left is nice to have, but that extra second never broke my experience yet. But I guess I'll be deemed someone who is defending iOS so I'll leave it at that.

Yes. It's apologist. No one can admit that there's a better way. As long as Apple does it then it's fine. That mentality leaves tech from progressing. But there are better and quicker ways to open up the camera. I have missed pictures with little kids because I fumbled the lock screen swipe or the control center swipe. On a Samsung phone you can always double press the home button or the power button on the S8 series. No matter whether the phone is locked or unlocked. This is a better way than how Apple does it. It's quicker and you don't have to look at anything. With small children, that extra half second can honestly mean everything. I'm still using an iPhone because it's the best option for me. But iOS needs a quick launch for the camera.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes. It's apologist. No one can admit that there's a better way. As long as Apple does it then it's fine. That mentality leaves tech from progressing. But there are better and quicker ways to open up the camera. I have missed pictures with little kids because I fumbled the lock screen swipe or the control center swipe. On a Samsung phone you can always double press the home button or the power button on the S8 series. No matter whether the phone is locked or unlocked. This is a better way than how Apple does it. It's quicker and you don't have to look at anything. With small children, that extra half second can honestly mean everything. I'm still using an iPhone because it's the best option for me. But iOS needs a quick launch for the camera.

No apologist here. I never used an Android phone before. But with iPhone, I set it to "raise to wake". So I raise phone, swipe left, shoot. Takes less than 1 second. Why would any iPhone user be apologetic about that?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
No apologist here. I never used an Android phone before. But with iPhone, I set it to "raise to wake". So I raise phone, swipe left, shoot. Takes less than 1 second. Why would any iPhone user be apologetic about that?

There are better ways. That's all I'm saying. Other phones are much quicker. And I want my iPhone to be quicker. I have lots of kids I gotta catch up to!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
There are better ways. That's all I'm saying. Other phones are much quicker. And I want my iPhone to be quicker. I have lots of kids I gotta catch up to!

We can’t help you on this.
You really should convince the people on https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p about this, so they will pass it up to the iOS developers department and they will have to implement it.

No matter how many people here apologizes or not doesn’t change that fact.
It’s up to Apple, not you and not us.
Thank you.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes. It's apologist.
No. it is simply your perception.
No one can admit that there's a better way.
It is our understanding that there is always a better way of doing certain things and the situation with the camera is no different.
As long as Apple does it then it's fine.
That is another misconception that people who prefer we see things in the same manner as they do often regurgitate.
That mentality leaves tech from progressing.
That mentality is false. It’s like not understanding why a person would choose a Honda Civic over a BMW 335. It’s simply a matter of personal choice.
But there are better and quicker ways to open up the camera. I have missed pictures with little kids because I fumbled the lock screen swipe or the control center swipe. On a Samsung phone you can always double press the home button or the power button on the S8 series. No matter whether the phone is locked or unlocked. This is a better way than how Apple does it. It's quicker and you don't have to look at anything. With small children, that extra half second can honestly mean everything. I'm still using an iPhone because it's the best option for me. But iOS needs a quick launch for the camera.
That is a better way, but that better way doesn’t mean that the current way is inconvenient to everyone. It may be an inconvenient to you and a few others, but not to the vast majority. But you tend to want the majority to perceive this as a major inconvenience when it is not. It has nothing to do with love for Apple or being an apologist, but a matter of not being inconvenienced about it in the same manner as you appear to be. That’s all.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711