Camera app access needs improving Apple

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Not by a long shot.

Raise to wake. Swipe left. Simple and easy. No button pressing required.

Mine comes on before it gets raised all the way. I swipe left as I raise it, then shoot. I've only done that testing it. I've yet to be in that big a hurry. I use ProCamera most of the time. I like the time/date stamp.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
How do you know?

And wouldn't it be good to have the option? Then we can both be happy.

The power button already has multiple functions:
On/off, dismiss a call, calling Emergency number, showing the medical info and such.
Adding a double tap will only complicate the functionality of that button more.
As you know, complicating stuff goes against everything what Apple stands for.

If you can find a better solution, let them now via https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
How do you know?

And wouldn't it be good to have the option? Then we can both be happy.

For me, using the power button isn't exactly a quick action. I can open the camera faster swiping left on the lockscreen. I can raise the camera, swipe left, shoot in about .7 seconds. That's how I know!!

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
For me, using the power button isn't exactly a quick action. I can open the camera faster swiping left on the lockscreen. I can raise the camera, swipe left, shoot in about .7 seconds. That's how I know!!

Wow, impressive that you have timed it! What method did you use?

Also good to see that you don't object to the double-press-the-power-button function being added for my benefit. Obviously you get to keep the swipe-left function so we are all winners!

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
The power button already has multiple functions:
On/off, dismiss a call, calling Emergency number, showing the medical info and such.
Adding a double tap will only complicate the functionality of that button more.
As you know, complicating stuff goes against everything what Apple stands for.

If you can find a better solution, let them now via https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p.

Is there a function bound to a double press of the power button? If not, adding this is truly simple! If there is, why not make it user configurable? Apple are not against user configuration. My iPad has a switch which can be used to mute the device and for something else (can't remember what), depending on a setting in the menu!

Given that (according to you) Apple have bound at least six functions to the power button already (that's simplicity in action!), surely binding a seventh isn't going to cause any problems?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm an Apple user. But the responses you're getting are Apple apologist responses. Other companies do it better. Plain and simple. For a company so focused on cameras and photos, one would assume that they would want their camera to be able to be opened as quickly as possible. A double press of the home button or power button can take place in your pocket and be active before you even get your phone out. You're not a man on a deserted island. I'm right here with you.

Double press the home button is Pay.

Maybe some option in settings to allow double press of either Home / Power to access a particular native feature (camera, safari, etc.) would be good. Have you submitted a feature request? https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Is there a function bound to a double press of the power button? If not, adding this is truly simple! If there is, why not make it user configurable? Apple are not against user configuration. My iPad has a switch which can be used to mute the device and for something else (can't remember what), depending on a setting in the menu!

Given that (according to you) Apple have bound at least six functions to the power button already (that's simplicity in action!), surely binding a seventh isn't going to cause any problems?

You really should use the https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p site more often.
I can’t help you, sending a feedback maybe can.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
You really should use the https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p site more often.
I can’t help you, sending a feedback maybe can.

Maybe I did. But would you agree that now we're just going to use the Apple feedback site, we can simply close this forum? To be fair to you, according to you if a feature is not useful for you then it's pointless to implement, so I can see that you practice what you preach.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I did. But would you agree that now we're just going to use the Apple feedback site, we can simply close this forum? To be fair to you, according to you if a feature is not useful for you then it's pointless to implement, so I can see that you practice what you preach.

Yes, this thread may be closed if it was up to me. And no, it’s not pointless to implement, unless it’s really thought out and Apple worthy.
Your solution, however, is IMO far from Apple worthy.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

If you feel strongly about it, it’s worth submitting. Apple can make the decision but all we can do is debate :)

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Why not just buy a phone that has the functions that you like ?

That's what I do, also taking into account price and other factors.

The question is whether Apple want to be on my shortlist. Not that double-press-to-open-the-camera is necessarily a deal breaker for me, but I would expect Apple phones to have as few flaws as possible if they are to justify their incredibly high prices.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes that's what we are doing! Isn't that the purpose of these forums?

I consider forums more of a way to obtain information and learn new stuff about other people’s experiences with stuff that interests me.

It’s not a way for me to convince them, nor for them to convince me.

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I consider forums more of a way to obtain information and learn new stuff about other peoples experiences with stuff that interests me.

It’s not a way for me to convince them, nor for them to convince me.

He is sharing his experience from other devices with you. You don't have to agree with it, and he doesn't have to agree with you. You are both entitled to your opinions.

To the OP, submit your feedback to Apple. If others agree with you after reading this thread hopefully they will do the same, and if Apple thinks it is something that fits their philosophy, then they MIGHT implement it.

This thread has gone on too long. We don't need to come to a conclusion here, but arguing back and forth on the merits of this "feature" is getting us nowhere.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes that's what we are doing! Isn't that the purpose of these forums?

It is. But if you actually want something to happen, you need to submit the feedback using the link I provided :)

If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound? yes, but nobody is there to hear it. Kind of like this. It's a good idea, and I suggest you submit it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It is. But if you actually want something to happen, you need to submit the feedback using the link I provided :)

If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound? yes, but nobody is there to hear it. Kind of like this. It's a good idea, and I suggest you submit it.

Technically, no it doesn't make a sound. It creates sound waves. But no sound until someone or something picks up the sound waves.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I cannot believe anyone can complain about swiping left on a lit lock screen to bring up the camera isn't convenient and there could be a better way to implement it. My lord satan, some of you people are never happy. You want it to be faster than a second?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh