Camera app access needs improving Apple

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
No. it is simply your perception. It is our understanding that there is always a better way of doing certain things and the situation with the camera is no different. That is another misconception that people who prefer we see things in the same manner as they do often regurgitate. That mentality is false. It’s like not understanding why a person would choose a Honda Civic over a BMW 335. It’s simply a matter of personal choice.
That is a better way, but that better way doesn’t mean that the current way is inconvenient to everyone. It may be an inconvenient to you and a few others, but not to the vast majority. But you tend to want the majority to perceive this as a major inconvenience when it is not. It has nothing to do with love for Apple or being an apologist, but a matter of not being inconvenienced about it in the same manner as you appear to be. That’s all.

This is what I'm saying: there are better ways. Apple's way is not the best. Does it suck? No. But it can be inconvenient at times. Why do we not want Apple to make an even more convenient way of doing it? To say that it's fine as it is misses the point that it can be better. Not a single person acknowledged the OPs thoughts aside from me. Everyone just said it was fine as it was. It's not a matter of choice. There is a better way. Just because you're fine with how it is doesn't mean there isn't a better way. Your argument of Honda vs BMW isn't even remotely on point. This wouldn't cost 3x what swiping the lock screen to the left would cost. It would be equal. It would be like saying a regular Honda Accord and a Honda Accord with air conditioning and automatic windows cost the same, but you keep choosing the Accord without AC and auto windows. Because it's fine for you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is what I'm saying: there are better ways. Apple's way is not the best. Does it suck? No. But it can be inconvenient at times. Why do we not want Apple to make an even more convenient way of doing it?
Nobody is saying that they don’t want Apple improving on things. That’s an assumption arguably based on our failure to feel about this matter in the same manner as you.
To say that it's fine as it is misses the point that it can be better. Not a single person acknowledged the OPs thoughts aside from me.
That comment proves my point. We don’t view this matter in the same light as you and the OP so therefore, we are lemmings, apologists, etcetera, and we’re missing the point. That’s an elitist viewpoint, in my opinion.
Everyone just said it was fine as it was.
Many who replied said that they were fine with how it currently is. They also tried to convey to the OP different ways of getting to the camera. In other words, they were trying to be helpful based on the way the iPhone and iOS currently are.
It's not a matter of choice. There is a better way. Just because you're fine with how it is doesn't mean there isn't a better way.
You’re concluding that Apple isn’t working on a better way and that we aren’t acknowledging that there’s a better way. I flat out stated that there’s a better way, but that better way has yet to be instituted on the iPhone. With that in mind, what should we do about it “today”? Should we complain in vain about a better way that does not yet exist on the iPhone and assume that Apple isn’t working on a better way or should we make an attempt to assist the OP by showing him or her the various ways in which he or she can access the camera?
Your argument of Honda vs BMW isn't even remotely on point. This wouldn't cost 3x what swiping the lock screen to the left would cost. It would be equal. It would be like saying a regular Honda Accord and a Honda Accord with air conditioning and automatic windows cost the same, but you keep choosing the Accord without AC and auto windows. Because it's fine for you.

My apologies for forgetting to state that, “if the price of both vehicles were the same....”. Anyway, I do understand what you and the OP are saying. I really do, but I think you are mistaken to assume that because we are not inconvenienced to the same degree as you in this matter that somehow we don’t want Apple to make improvements.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes. It's apologist. No one can admit that there's a better way.

I carry a DSLR. That's a better way for me. Everyone uses their phone differently. Personally I wouldn't care of the camera was totally removed from the phone. I use my phone for calls and keeping in touch with my family. The camera is just an added convenience.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Wow, there are so many ways to access the camera. You couldn't find one to your liking?

OP is not realizing that the different ways that other manufacturers are using are patented and such.
Apple simply can’t use every tech that’s available without paying royalties. And there is a limit on how much they are willing to pay for royalties they could otherwise save on.
This is apparently one thing they wanted to pay no royalties for. The current ways to access the camera are apparently sufficient for the majority of their users.

Besides, paying more royalties will always result in more expensive devices, and we all can agree there is a limit on how much more we’re willing to pay.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Just to clarify, @Just_Me_D response was the response I would have gave generally speaking. Never claimed the way Apple does things is best or there isn't a better way, but this is the way we can use the camera app and there are alternatives to accessing it quick (quicker or better I am not defending).

As I said I'd love to have double power button to access chosen app but unfortunately it doesn't exist...hopefully there's a quicker way in the future.

Soreloser

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Apple could save a bunch on royalties if the lightened up on their control over customization. All it takes is an app to program the buttons to do something different. But...Apple being Apple, they are unlikely to do this since they are all about the "experience".

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple could save a bunch on royalties if the lightened up on their control over customization. All it takes is an app to program the buttons to do something different. But...Apple being Apple, they are unlikely to do this since they are all about the "experience".

On iPhone lockscreen, one click of the home button opens the phone. Two clicks brings up Apple Pay. Three clicks brings up Accessibility shortcuts. So a swipe left opens the camera. I like it that way.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I personally like the home button double tap bringing up Wallet as I use Apple Pay, Starbucks, or any of the other cards I have stored in there almost daily. If Apple can figure out a way to bring up the Camera app more conveniently without disturbing the current home button functionality then I'm all for it. I'm just not sure how they'll do that and, personally, I find picking my phone up and swiping left pretty darn convenient.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I do like the double tap for camera option. I wish the iPhone had it, you can be opening the camera as you are taking the phone out of your pocket and lifting it. The current method works fine, but there are always things that can be improved.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
It has nothing to do with better or not.
I don’t like all those rings and bells on my phones.
Most android devices still have a dedicated camera button and I hate it. Every time I pick up a friends android device I accidentally open the camera.

I’m content with how Apple has implemented it.
Like others have said, there are three ways to open it on the screen and one with voice.
It took me 1 second to open the camera with a voice command.
The Netherlands is a rainy country and even then I’m taking loads of photos, on sunny and rainy days. I haven’t even once run in the issues you mention.

Which Android phones have a dedicated camera button? I guess some do, but I didn't see one for a while. My Android phone (not a Samsung) will open the camera app with a double press of the power button, even when locked. I use this all the time. It's honestly one of the most useful additions to this phone compared to my previous device and means you can be taking a picture in less than a second.

I do occasionally open the camera app by accidentally double-pressing the power button, but that's a price I'm willing to pay. And if another user it not happy with this, she can disable the function in the settings. So no-one is a loser.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Which Android phones have a dedicated camera button? I guess some do, but I didn't see one for a while. My Android phone (not a Samsung) will open the camera app with a double press of the power button, even when locked. I use this all the time. It's honestly one of the most useful additions to this phone compared to my previous device and means you can be taking a picture in less than a second.

I do occasionally open the camera app by accidentally double-pressing the power button, but that's a price I'm willing to pay. And if another user it not happy with this, she can disable the function in the settings. So no-one is a loser.

Like I said, Apple has to make choices and they chose not to add another way to open the camera.
Your best bet is to send a feedback to https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p to have them do this.
As for the question about which android device has a dedicated button, I’m not sure. I stay away from those devices and don’t pay attention to them.
I did, however, see a few devices with a dedicated in the past.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Like I said, Apple has to make choices and they chose not to add another way to open the camera.
Your best bet is to send a feedback to https://www.apple.com/feedback/#mn_p to have them do this.
As for the question about which android device has a dedicated button, I’m not sure. I stay away from those devices and don’t pay attention to them.
I did, however, see a few devices with a dedicated in the past.

Maybe a 4th dedicated home button click. They could make 2 clicks for the camera, and the 4th for Wallet/Apple Pay. No one's in THAT big a hurry for a Big Mac!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Maybe a 4th dedicated home button click. They could make 2 clicks for the camera, and the 4th for Wallet/Apple Pay. No one's in THAT big a hurry for a Big Mac!

You’re joking right? Tapping 4 times to get to something goes completely against everything what Apple stands for.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
You’re joking right? Tapping 4 times to get to something goes completely against everything what Apple stands for.

Why not a double click of the power button, configurable so it can be turned on/off based on personal preference?

The camera is a selling point of some iPhones. Why not make it as easy to access as possible?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Why not a double click of the power button, configurable so it can be turned on/off based on personal preference?

The camera is a selling point of some iPhones. Why not make it as easy to access as possible?

Double clicking the power button cuts off an unwanted caller. What's easier than swiping the lockscreen left?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh