To upgrade or not to upgrade? That is the question.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi y’all!

So with the announcement of the new iPhones looming about in a couple months how many of you guys are planning on upgrading no matter what?

I’ve seen so many complaints about the vertical camera saying it’s ugly and such a horrible design decision. I honestly don’t see it though. Most people are going to put the phone in a case, IMO I think most cases are ugly, or there will be those who go naked but really how often do we look at the backs of our phones for it to matter?!

Are any of you out there planning on keeping your 7/7+ till next year?

I do plan on upgrading and I’m very excited for the 8/Edition whatever it ends up being called and I really hope the rumors are true that Apple was able to get touchID under the screen. That in itself would be huuuuuge!!

Curious about your guy’s thoughts.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I am keeping my 7+. Just got it Jan 13th. Am happy with it. And I got a huge trade in value on my Samsung for upgrading. I like the amount of money saved. The phone runs great and am pleased. I don't need to upgrade

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If many of the current rumors hold true I’ll be upgrading. The smaller bezel and OLED are a huge selling point for me. Not to mention I’ve had a 6 Plus, 6s Plus and 7 Plus and I’m ready for a design change but don’t want to jump over to Android.

I couldn’t care less which way the camera sensor and flash are oriented. If anything there’s less of a chance of me accidentally covering the flash when I’m taking photos in landscape.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
If many of the current rumors hold true I’ll be upgrading. The smaller bezel and OLED are a huge selling point for me. Not to mention I’ve had a 6 Plus, 6s Plus and 7 Plus and I’m ready for a design change but don’t want to jump over to Android.

I couldn’t care less which way the camera sensor and flash are oriented. If anything there’s less of a chance of me accidentally covering the flash when I’m taking photos in landscape.

I’ve owned every iPhone since the 5 and before that the iPhone 2G and 3G. I’m pretty used to upgrading and this year most definitely as you said the slim to almost no bezels is going to be awesome plus touchID under the screen alone would make me upgrade.

I just can’t wait for September to get here!!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi y’all!

So with the announcement of the new iPhones looming about in a couple months how many of you guys are planning on upgrading no matter what?
I don’t ever rush out to be the first to have the newest iPhone model. I don’t pre-order or wait in a mile long line to get one, and I’m not about to start. I typically wait a couple of weeks and then walk into an Apple Store and purchase it right then and there. Will I do the same this time around? Maybe. I mean, I’ve been so pre-occupied with things like preparing to move back to Orlando, house shopping, etc., that I really haven’t given real thought to getting the next iPhone. I’ve had every flagship iPhone since the iPhone 4S so odds are that I’ll get the next one at some point, but then again, I may not....:)
I’ve seen so many complaints about the vertical camera saying it’s ugly and such a horrible design decision. I honestly don’t see it though. Most people are going to put the phone in a case, IMO I think most cases are ugly, or there will be those who go naked but really how often do we look at the backs of our phones for it to matter?!
Preach brother....:)

Are any of you out there planning on keeping your 7/7+ till next year?
I will say this. I am really enjoying my iPhone 7 Plus, and I don’t have any problems keeping it in lieu of purchasing the next flagship iPhone....:)

I do plan on upgrading and I’m very excited for the 8/Edition whatever it ends up being called and I really hope the rumors are true that Apple was able to get touchID under the screen. That in itself would be huuuuuge!!

Curious about your guy’s thoughts.
I’m more interested in iOS than the actual phone itself.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I don’t ever rush out to be the first to have the newest iPhone model. I don’t pre-order or wait in a mile long line to get one, and I’m not about to start. I typically wait a couple of weeks and then walk into an Apple Store and purchase it right then and there. Will I do the same this time around? Maybe. I mean, I’ve been so pre-occupied with things like preparing to move back to Orlando, house shopping, etc., that I really haven’t given real thought to getting the next iPhone. I’ve had every flagship iPhone since the iPhone 4S so odds are that I’ll get the next one at some point, but then again, I may not....:)
Preach brother....:)

I will say this. I am really enjoying my iPhone 7 Plus, and I don’t have any problems keeping it in lieu of purchasing the next flagship iPhone....:)

I’m more interested in iOS than the actual phone itself.

Yeah I’m loving iOS 11 so far just anxiously awaiting beta 2 to drop.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
I've had the 7+ since launch day. Have not kept a phone for this long ever before. I'll have the 8 the day it is available.

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
My thoughts are that, and this is just my opinion but there are several rumors:

There will be 7s and 7s+ with software updates and minor hardware updates for September. This will include a Matte White device meaning you can get the Silver, Gold, Rose Gold with traditional back or Matte White back so only difference would be home button color. The home button will still exist in the iPhone 7s and 7s+. Again IMO if the home button was being removed the developer beta for iOS11 would need to account for this.

So here's my theory. September announcement of a 7s and 7s+ with normal sales cycle. Announce along side will be anniversary edition, but not the 8. It will have non-traditional moniker not number related like simple iPhone, or iPhone AE for Anniversary Edition, etc. I believe it will be bezeless and have TouchID integrated into the screen and all the bells and whistles and will be sized in between the 7s and 7s+ and will be released in November for sales allowing for developers to tweak from Sept to late Nov their apps to make use of the screen ratio and lack of home button, etc.

Now a the following September so 2018 the iPhone 8 will be ready to cycle out and may very much be similar to this years released anniversary model but will still be very different from the 7s and 7s+.

I have a Red iPhone 7 fully paid off. I would buy only if there is something truly upgraded, not just a traditional bi-yearly "s" bump. So the Anniversary Edition would be tempting if anything I think is true.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to trick myself into entertaining anything other than me getting the next model. I've got annual upgrades. So I will be pre-ordering and I will be upgrading to the next model as soon as it's available. I couldn't see Apple doing anything on the next model that would convince me that my current 7 Plus is better than their new model.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I do plan on upgrading. And I’ll be switching carriers also. AT&T doesn’t fit in my budget anymore

I recommend Cricket if AT&T works for you except for price. It is hard to beat from that standpoint, and if you are used to buying your devices upfront anyway it really won't be any different.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I don't normally follow the next iteration of any phone and usually keep a phone for at least 2 yrs before upgrading. My annual upgrade with Verizon is due Feb 2018 so that's after the all hype. I won't say never but neither will I commit unless there's something that just blows me away that I have to have it which is rare. I'll definitely be paying attention though and enjoy reading the feedback from all the trailblazers.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll probably say that I'm not interested in upgrading when it's announced and end up getting it within a week of it being released.

At least you’re honest with yourself. I’ve completely given up on resisting the latest model. I’ll upgrade this year, and next year, and the year after that...you get the picture.