To upgrade or not to upgrade? That is the question.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I guess that is financing if you keep paying for 24 months (though you are paying way more than the cost of the phone normally, so the no interest claim isn't really valid, $777 vs $649 for a 32GB 7 for example). If you upgrade after 12 months it is basically a very expensive lease, where you pay over half the value of the phone and have nothing to show at the end. Also you have to use one of those carriers, so you are basically locked into a contract with and expensive phone plan. I am using Sprint now because it is basically free for the next year, but I won't use them beyond that, I will switch back to an MVNO.

What I was referring to is zero interest financing for 12 or 24 months, even if it is through the Apple Card that is fine. But at the end of that period you would only pay the listed price and would own the phone and could sell it if you wanted. Since my first post I did receive an offer from Barclays for another interest free purchase period from the Apple store. Unfortunately it ends before the new phones will be out, but maybe they will do the same again after the phones are out.

It is a zero interest loan for 24 months just as I stated. The price is higher because it has AppleCare+ built into it. If you work the numbers out it balances to the penny. No interest. In fact, if you upgrade after 12 months you’re only paying half the price of the AppleCare+.

The difference is that you’re being forced into AppleCare+. I always purchase it for my iPhones anyway so that doesn’t bother me.

Here’s an example for an iPhone 7 128 GB.

Price of iPhone: $749 USD
Price of AppleCare+: $129
Total: $878

$878 / 24 = $36.58, which equals the monthly payment using iUP.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
If a 7S+ launches later this year and is in the same price range as the 7+ then I may upgrade. However, if the $1k price tag holds true for the 8, then I won't be upgrading to the 8.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
It is a zero interest loan for 24 months just as I stated. The price is higher because it has AppleCare+ built into it. If you work the numbers out it balances to the penny. No interest. In fact, if you upgrade after 12 months you’re only paying half the price of the AppleCare+.

The difference is that you’re being forced into AppleCare+. I always purchase it for my iPhones anyway so that doesn’t bother me.

Here’s an example for an iPhone 7 128 GB.

Price of iPhone: $749 USD
Price of AppleCare+: $129
Total: $878

$878 / 24 = $36.58, which equals the monthly payment using iUP.

Your right I didn't account for that. Still doesn't change the the need to be on one of the 4 major carriers. And the 12 month upgrade really is still a lease, which you are paying half of the price, but have nothing to show for it. I guess you are paying for the convenience vs having to sell your used phone.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
If a 7S+ launches later this year and is in the same price range as the 7+ then I may upgrade. However, if the $1k price tag holds true for the 8, then I won't be upgrading to the 8.

I think I'll pass if it's the 7S.
If it really is the 8 that's coming out, I will have to start saving up.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Your right I didn't account for that. Still doesn't change the the need to be on one of the 4 major carriers. And the 12 month upgrade really is still a lease, which you are paying half of the price, but have nothing to show for it. I guess you are paying for the convenience vs having to sell your used phone.

Same exact comparison to leasing a car. You get nothing to show for what u pay over the 2-3 years of a car lease, but you get a new car every 2-3 years! It is personal preference. I have been toying between which is better for me...Buy through the lease program and get a new iPhone every year or pay the retail in full and sell it whenever I want. You get more bang for your buck buying it outright and selling it because the value of iPhones remain very high even years after. I keep my phones for a year if that. I bought my iPhone 7 plus 128GB in pristine condition used for $660 for AT&T in April. I can still get that if I sell it now, maybe $10-20 less for a quick sale.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Interesting responses in this thread. I bet 99.9% of you upgrade to the latest and greatest iPhone. Including myself...LMBO!!!!

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Same exact comparison to leasing a car. You get nothing to show for what u pay over the 2-3 years of a car lease, but you get a new car every 2-3 years! It is personal preference. I have been toying between which is better for me...Buy through the lease program and get a new iPhone every year or pay the retail in full and sell it whenever I want. You get more bang for your buck buying it outright and selling it because the value of iPhones remain very high even years after. I keep my phones for a year if that. I bought my iPhone 7 plus 128GB in pristine condition used for $660 for AT&T in April. I can still get that if I sell it now, maybe $10-20 less for a quick sale.

Exactly, and that is what I normally do as well. Leasing is silly to me on a car, and even more so on a phone. Of course I rarely buy new phones myself because I find more value in buying used and selling them when I want something new, but I do buy new for my wife because she keeps hers for much longer.

Financing won't change the way I buy phones, if I want to buy a new one, I don't have an issue paying full price upfront, I was just saying if Apple offered true financing some people might not feel the need to stay with one of the big 4 carriers in order to get their "affordable" iPhone. Of course most people will only see the $32/month fee and never consider the true cost of the phone or the service. If they did, they would know it was a much better value to buy your own phone and use an MVNO.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
And the 12 month upgrade really is still a lease, which you are paying half of the price, but have nothing to show for it. I guess you are paying for the convenience vs having to sell your used phone.

Very true. There’s always the argument that buying the phone outright and then selling it after a year will work out better for you then upgrading after a year using iUP.

Keep in mind you can also pay off your iUP plan after a year and sell the device as well. Not a terrible option if you don’t want to foot the full price of the phone up front and you’ll be able to sell it with AppleCare+ included.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Exactly, and that is what I normally do as well. Leasing is silly to me on a car, and even more so on a phone. Of course I rarely buy new phones myself because I find more value in buying used and selling them when I want something new, but I do buy new for my wife because she keeps hers for much longer.

Financing won't change the way I buy phones, if I want to buy a new one, I don't have an issue paying full price upfront, I was just saying if Apple offered true financing some people might not feel the need to stay with one of the big 4 carriers in order to get their "affordable" iPhone. Of course most people will only see the $32/month fee and never consider the true cost of the phone or the service. If they did, they would know it was a much better value to buy your own phone and use an MVNO.

Yeah, what MVNO do you use? I'm currently stuck with AT&T for another year and a half but I'd like to try out an MVNO once I leave AT&T

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, what MVNO do you use? I'm currently stuck with AT&T for another year and a half but I'd like to try out an MVNO once I leave AT&T

I have used Cricket, and my wife used StraighTalk (both on Sprint for a year to take advantage of their free service, $8.64/month for two lines is all we pay). I highly recommend Cricket if you are using AT&T now.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I have used Cricket, and my wife used StraighTalk (both on Sprint for a year to take advantage of their free service, $8.64/month for two lines is all we pay). I highly recommend Cricket if you are using AT&T now.

I've been using Cricket for a couple years now. Came from AT&T. Would never go back.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I've been using Cricket for a couple years now. Came from AT&T. Would never go back.

Yeah I used it for 3 years. Only left for a brief time now with Sprint to take advantage of their promotion. With the friend referral gift cards they sent, it will literally cost us $3.68 for a year of service with 2 lines. After this promotional period is up I will be going back to Cricket.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Yeah I used it for 3 years. Only left for a brief time now with Sprint to take advantage of their promotion. With the friend referral gift cards they sent, it will literally cost us $3.68 for a year of service with 2 lines. After this promotional period is up I will be going back to Cricket.

I tried Sprint through Project Fi, which is Sprint and T-Mobile. It was horrible in my area so I dropped it after a couple weeks and went back to AT&T. Then I tried Cricket and have been with them since.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

How did you get that sprint deal??

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
How did you get that sprint deal??

You can still do it for a few days.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans/unlimited-kickstart.html?ECID=vanity:1yearfree

Just have to bring your own phone, and it has to be on their list of supported phones. You just pay the tax until July of next year. No contracts, so you can end it at any time. Coverage is the only questionable thing, but for me it has been good so far.

If you end up doing it, PM me, and we can both get the referral discount ($50/line).

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans/unlimited-kickstart.html?ECID=vanity:1yearfree

Just have to bring your own phone, and it has to be on their list of supported phones. You just pay the tax until July of next year. No contracts, so you can end it at any time. Coverage is the only questionable thing, but for me it has been good so far.

If you end up doing it, PM me, and we can both get the referral discount ($50/line).

Wow I would be interested but I am stuck with AT&T under device payment plans ugh

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

I can't even do it if I wanted to! I don't have a Verizon iPhone...

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
If you have a sim unlocked phone it should have the right radios. That is just the easy way for them to try to explain it. I think the early AT&T phones were GSM only. Both my SE (AT&T) and my wife's 6S (sim free) were eligible. Also apparently you don't have to swap from a post paid carrier either (AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile). I thought that was going to limit us from using it, but after some time with customer service they assured me it wasn't a problem. I know that won't help you (though I suspect that even if you paid off your account with AT&T you would still save money in the long run). I guess Sprint is pretty desperate for customers, and I am happy to take advantage of that.

Sorry to derail the original thread.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
If you have a sim unlocked phone it should have the right radios. That is just the easy way for them to try to explain it. I think the early AT&T phones were GSM only. Both my SE (AT&T) and my wife's 6S (sim free) were eligible. Also apparently you don't have to swap from a post paid carrier either (AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile). I thought that was going to limit us from using it, but after some time with customer service they assured me it wasn't a problem. I know that won't help you (though I suspect that even if you paid off your account with AT&T you would still save money in the long run). I guess Sprint is pretty desperate for customers, and I am happy to take advantage of that.

Sorry to derail the original thread.

I just went on sprint and put my imei in and it says phone not compatible

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711